• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG 1st level character help (Rules)

T-Bone

First Post
Can someone help me out with a couple rules questions for making my 1st lvl character. I'm going to participate in my first Pathfinder Society Game, and want to make sure my character is built correctly.

Feats. In 3.5 D&D, all characters got a Feat just for being a 1st level character. I cannot find any reference to this in Pathfinder RPG. For Example:
A 1st level Human Fighter would have:
Feat (Human)
Feat (Fighter Lvl 1 class ability)
Feat (1st level character) ?

Page number reference for the core rule book would help.

Favored Class bonus: You choose a favored class at character creation. I choose Monk. When I'm creating my 1st level monk, does he get the +1 Hp or Skill rank at 1st level? or do I only get it at 2nd level and beyond when I take additional levels of monk.

Page number reference if possible.

Thanks in advance.

T

T-Bone

First Post
Looking at the Pathfinder Society Pre-generated characters, looks like they each have a feat for being 1st level. (Human Fighter has 3 feats).

Cannot figure out if the Favored class bonus is there or not for the 1st lvl character though.

Cor_Malek

First Post
Favored Class bonus: You choose a favored class at character creation. I choose Monk. When I'm creating my 1st level monk, does he get the +1 Hp or Skill rank at 1st level? or do I only get it at 2nd level and beyond when I take additional levels of monk.

Thanks in advance.

T
Can't blame you - first sentences of that are ambiguous at best, and the clarification is hidden within sentence on entirely other matter:
p. 31, paragraph Favored Class, 3rd sentence: The choice of favored class cannot be changed once the character is created, and the choice of gaining hit point or a skill point rank each time a character gains a level (including his first level) cannot be changed once made for a particular level.

---

As for feats:

If you'll look at progression table of other classes, you'll see that they don't have any bonus feats there, only fighter and monk do. The feats they gets are equivalents of class features, that's why they're called "bonus feats" and they do not account for normal pace of gaining feats with new level.
For this, you have table 3-1, p.30, "Character advancement and level-dependent bonuses"

So a first level fighter has 3 feats: 1st for being 1st level, 2nd for being a human, and 3rd as a class feature of fighter class.

Last edited:

hopeless

Adventurer
Can someone help me out with a couple rules questions for making my 1st lvl character. I'm going to participate in my first Pathfinder Society Game, and want to make sure my character is built correctly.

Feats. In 3.5 D&D, all characters got a Feat just for being a 1st level character. I cannot find any reference to this in Pathfinder RPG. For Example:
A 1st level Human Fighter would have:
Feat (Human)
Feat (Fighter Lvl 1 class ability)
Feat (1st level character) ?

Page number reference for the core rule book would help.

Page 55
Bonus Feats: At 1st level, and at every even level thereafter, a fighter gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement (meaning that the fighter gains a feat at every level). These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as combat feats, sometimes also called “fighter bonus feats.”
(These are marked on the Feat list with a "*" to indicate a combat feat)

Thanks in advance.
T
If I remember rightly you decide whether your character gains a +1hp or +1 skill point per level of their favoured class

T-Bone

First Post
Another Question

Okay, another question...

at 4th, 8th, 12th, etc. Characters get an ability score increase, according to table 3-1, p.30, "Character advancement and level-dependent bonuses".

I cannot find anywhere in the Core Rulebook where it says exactly what this ability score increase is. I'm bouncing around between 3.5, 4E, and Pathfinder, so I need to make sure I'm not using 4E rules when I should be using Pathfinder rules.

What is the Ability Score Increase? 1 point to one ability of my choice. That is what I remember from PHB 3.5. Can someone give me a page number and referece to back this up for Pathfinder?

Cor_Malek

First Post
On p.450, under Creating NPCs, it indicates you should increase one ability score by 1 every four levels.

I had to check myself, to believe :p I really hope that folks at Paizo know this problem. For a long 3.X player this is somewhat a given, but when someone is starting/ joining after a long time? Things can get confusing... I guess that's the problem with open play tests - people who join then are up to date with previous system.

T-Bone

First Post
I know most of these answers if we are talking about D&D 3.5, but I wasn't sure what changed with Pathfinder. I guess if you assume that things work pretty much the same, you could easily not realize that it isn't spelled out.

It is quite odd that several of these basic character creation rules are so obscure or missing in the Core Rule book.

Cor_Malek

First Post
I know most of these answers if we are talking about D&D 3.5, but I wasn't sure what changed with Pathfinder. I guess if you assume that things work pretty much the same, you could easily not realize that it isn't spelled out.

It is quite odd that several of these basic character creation rules are so obscure or missing in the Core Rule book.

And right you are, to be on your toes - there's a lot of small changes that could be otherwise missed, and make a huge difference(ie how class skill works, class balance). Better to ask than be sorry.

I didn't see original PF play tests, but in the current one - Ultimate Magic, the wording is being second-guessed mostly in cases where people are looking for synergies and possible exploits. There's still some small mishaps, but this one really surprised me - seems like an important omission.

Remove ads