• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder - sell me

Sadrik

First Post
Pathfinder will release at Gencon this year. I am curious...
What does pathfinder do that I don't already get from 3.5?
What are the improvements to 3.5?
How much will it be?
What type of support will it receive?

Sell me on the product!

Roman

First Post
Hello Sadrik,

It is somewhat hard to do a sales pitch on the PFRPG given that it is not out yet and we do not know what the final version will contain. Even the previews have not really started coming out yet. We could do a sales pitch based on what was in the BETA version, but we don't know yet what part of the BETA will make to the final game and what parts will revert back to 3.5E rules or be changed to something wholly new.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
How much will it be?

Sell me on the product!

Pathfinder has the advantage over 3.5 in that the PF books will be in print and the 3.5 books will not be. The primary goal is to provide a book of rules avaliable on the market for those who want to continue using 3.5 rules. New players at the table may not be able to find a good used copy of the 3.5 book and thus the PFRPG. Personally, my 3.0 PHB is getting worn and I was about ready to buy a new PHB anyways so the PFRPG book will be coming out at a good time.

The book will contain the rules from both the PHB and the DMG in one tome for a price of about $50 (less on Amazon).

The system will be supported by Paizo and there are many smaller companies getting advanced copies to aid them in producing support material, including Necromancer Games.

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
How much will it be?

Sell me on the product!

The Pathfinder RPG updates and revises some of the trouble spots in the 3.5 rules set, such as class disparity, grapple, polymorph, and a host of others. A lot of the classes have been given a good deal of versatility, allowing them to be a bit more customized to the player's concept. The final book is 576 pages, full color and retails for $49.99 (including all the info for players and GMs, but not monsters). As of August, all of the Paizo products will convert to support the Pathfinder RPG. In addition, we have over 40 other publishers signed up to support the game, using the Pathfinder Compatibility License.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions...

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Two questions:

1. So essentially the Pathfinder RPG is like the PHB and DMG combined into one book? Is that correct?

2. Is the list of publishers signed up to support Pathfinder public knowledge, and if so, is there a link to them somewhere? I really want to know who to expect the next great things from (aside from Paizo, of course)!

Wicht

Hero
From this thread page, the list of active publishers that have signed the license, and may get an early look at the book include:

0one Games
DragonWing Games
Dreamscarred Press
Expeditious Retreat Press
Fat Dragon Games
Louis Porter Jr. Design
Necromancer Games
Open Design
Radiance House
Reality Deviant Publications
Rite Publishing
Sean K Reynolds Games
Tricky Owlbear Publishing
Battlefield Press
4 Winds Fantasy Gaming
Mossy Mountain Gathering
Skortched Urf' Studios
Reality Four Studios
Dementia 5 Publishing House
Wyrd Edizioni
Conflict Games
The Shining Jewel

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Two questions:

1. So essentially the Pathfinder RPG is like the PHB and DMG combined into one book? Is that correct?

2. Is the list of publishers signed up to support Pathfinder public knowledge, and if so, is there a link to them somewhere? I really want to know who to expect the next great things from (aside from Paizo, of course)!

1. Correct.

2. The list is publicly available. It can be found here. The list in Wicht's post are those that meet certain qualifications for an early look at the book.

Hope that helps

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
List of things that used to suck in 3.5 and no longer suck thanks to Pathfinder (not exhaustive since I have not seen final rules, in no particular order)

Gnomes
Bards
Half Orcs
Elf Wizards
Grapple
All Other Special Maneuvers
Turn Undead/Clerics converting all spells to healing
Fighters
Stating out NPCs

My company is one of those Licensees! :D

Last edited:

Remove ads