• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Society vs. Living Forgotten Realms

Retreater

Legend
A few weeks ago I posted a thread about how to help a new FLGS bring in gamers. One suggestion that came up was running RPG events. The store is already running a successful D&D Encounters program, with two full tables every week (and almost enough for a third table) [this is really big for a town our size].

My friend running the store said that he is selling more 4E product than Pathfinder, mostly due to the Encounters players. He hosts no Pathfinder events, mostly because there are no GMs who have offered to run games.

As a favor to my friend and because I want the gaming culture in my area to thrive (and also because I have a great time gaming), I have been looking into organized play options between the two big games Pathfinder and D&D 4E.

I am a skilled enough DM (or GM) to handle either system. I'm trying to not play favorites between the two systems, even though I prefer 4E as a little easier as an introduction to new players and a little easier to DM (especially in a game store environment).

After downloading the PDF guides to organized play for both systems, I'm a little overwhelmed, and worrying that running organized play may be a little more complex than I expected.

Pathfinder Society seems to have more official support than Living Forgotten Realms. However, you have to pay for the modules from PS, around $4 each game, while LFR is free to download and will let you convert adventures you already own.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of each system here, but not trying for an edition war. If anything, I'd like to have a skirmish between the two systems of organized play, Living Forgotten Realms vs. Pathfinder Society. I'd like to hear the experiences of people who have played in either (or both) campaigns.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I've gotten bored of LFR. I blame it the older modules. They are easier, and thus get played more often. When I DM, players whine and moan when I boost the stats to MM3 equivs, making for challenging, nail biting adventures where they still win, but just barely. I think that makes for memorable games. I have not had a chance to play/dm recent adventures.

I don't see $4 as a big hurdle for PF Soc. Have a tip jar set up with a note explaining that adventures cost $4 to buy, and clearly labelled TIPS. If the players don't feel like kicking in some coins to help offset the cost the DM / Organizer incurs to provide for thier entertainment, screw 'em. Don't sacrifice a tasty chicken sandwhich to buy mods for moochers.

czak

First Post
Depending on where you live, there may be a pathfinder venture-captain (volunteer) in charge of helping set up and promote organized play in your region. If so, they are your best bet.

Here's some basic info on getting a store set up to run society games:

paizo.com - Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Publishing / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society / General Discussion / How does a local game shop set up a new society gaming venue?

I've run some pathfinder society scenarios for my home group and had a lot of fun. I also had fun at PAX playing some form of 4e scenario (get through two or three rooms as quickly as possible? It might have been Encounters).

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I run a Pathfinder game at the local store, but instead of PFS I run an open table, bi-weekly exploration of Dragon's Delve from Monte Cook's Dungeon-a-Day. I have successfully attracted new players and also gotten a pretty solid core group that comes to every session. There is a note/map book the players update, and the NPC patron pays them for each room/area mapped. We keep non-dungeon delving to a minimum and have a couple quirky rules for dealing with the format (the game never pauses in the dungeon, it's always a new day at the start of a session). I'm still working out all the details as stuff happens (leveling, higher level pregens, purchasing gear) and am working to tie it more closely to Golarion. Overall, though, it has been a resounding success.

Twowolves

Explorer
If there is a PFS Venture Captain responsible for your area, contact them and they will be of tremendous help.

Scenarios cost $4 each, but you can run one dozens of times if you get the players to do so. Season 0 adventures are written for 3.5 ed, so converting would be required to use with Pathfinder. However, the Paizo guys have stated that they are working to do that conversion for you, only it's a side project for the time, so it will take a while to get them all. Season 1 was the first full season for PRPG, and season 2 had a series of sub/meta plot stories (the Shadow Lodge arc). Each season has mini-series, which cover a longer self-contained story arc, so that might be a plus. The new season, season 3, introduces 5 new factions and another meta-plot, so that might be interesting.

Finally, all new standalone Pathfinder modules (NOT just society scenarios) will have chronicle sheets as downloadable content, so you can run these modules as 3-part mini-arcs and get PFS credit for them.

Hope that helps.

darjr

I crit!
There are many fantastic LFR mods, but on the whole I think that the PFS mods are better, mainly because they can put more expensive resources and writers towards making them.

Shemeska

Adventurer
There are many fantastic LFR mods, but on the whole I think that the PFS mods are better, mainly because they can put more expensive resources and writers towards making them.

At this point I don't think that WotC has any role in the LFR material insofar as writing, playtesting, adventure design, and editorial oversight - no active support for the material. While PFS is supported and given development by multiple Paizo employees on top of the freelancer crew penning most of the modules.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Id also look at Living Arcanis ( Or rather the NEW version of LA)

I got into it by accident when I booked a wrong Living Greyhawk session. My only regret since that day was that I never found about it earlier. In terms of storytelling and deductive reasoning (without of course combat thrown in ) I didnt think it had an equal.

The new game Chronicles of the Shattered Empires is almost I think nearly a year old. There is already 5+ modules out there, its using its own unique system.. and the world is an interesting take on Fantasy. Im sure there are multiple threads on it in the RPG industry forum.

As for my own take on LFR. I read with trepidation about the pullback on LFR (ie the non reporting thing). I havnt played since this occured but Its not a good sign IMO.

Im a noob when it comes to Pathfinder. Ive played maybe 5 modules but was always a little disappointed that the adventures were not spread geographically more far and wide. If anyone here has read the Golarion setting book they will know that there are some truly unique and interesting places there, yet the modules I played at least stuck close to the 'known' areas.

HyrumOWC

First Post
If you're setting up an event in a store for the first time, email me at hyrum (dot) savage at paizo.com and I'll get you some scenarios to run for free. If you're in the same area as one of our Venture Captains, I'll get him or her to give you a hand in setting things up. Heck, some of our VC's even drive long distances to help set stores up and if you're close enough that might be an option too.

Please, email me, and if there's anything I can do to help get some PFS in your local store I'll do it.

Hyrum.
PFS Campaign Manager

Remove ads