PATHFINDER UNCHAINED Is Finally Here!

It's time to delve into variant rules systems and options which push the Pathfinder RPG to its limits as Pathfinder Unchained officially hits store shelves today (though some folks have it already). I've talked about it a few times before on this page, but for those not in the known, Pathfinder Unchained is the books where lead designer Jason Bulmahn said "Let us do a book filled with whatever crazy ideas we have floating around in our heads" and to which Erik Mona said "No." He changed his mind. Hit up your local game store for a copy of the book!

It's time to delve into variant rules systems and options which push the Pathfinder RPG to its limits as Pathfinder Unchained officially hits store shelves today (though some folks have it already). I've talked about it a few times before on this page, but for those not in the known, Pathfinder Unchained is the books where lead designer Jason Bulmahn said "Let us do a book filled with whatever crazy ideas we have floating around in our heads" and to which Erik Mona said "No." He changed his mind. Hit up your local game store for a copy of the book!

You can also order it from Paizo directly. And when you have it, be sure to rate and comment on it right here at EN World!

unchained.jpg

JeffB

Legend
I am not a PF rules guy. I sold all my PF books a couple years ago, and use my Beginner Box and the PRD if need be for monsters/spells/items when I run it. I dont like the complexity of the core/full game at all.

But I bought the PDF of Unchained because some things caught my interest. Mainly the Stamina Pool for fighters. The stamina pool and feats ended up being a little underwhelming (mainly because I dont play a core game and the vast majority of feats , I dont use) BUT- There are several variants I would use. Simplified spellcasting, Consolidated Skills, new action economy. The monster creation section is pretty neat. It all makes me want to run some PF again.

I likely will pick up a print copy at some point.

EDIT- The poison/Disease track..very cool, definitely using from now on.

JeffB

Legend
I forgot to mention the inherent bonuses option (bonii?). Also excellent.

EDIT- it is correctly titled, "Automatic Bonus Progression"

Last edited by a moderator:

Starfox

Hero
In the alternate action economy, casting a spell is now effectively a full-round action (but still takes effect immediately). That change could make its way into normal Pathfinder.

Gaea Games

First Post
I am not a PF rules guy. I sold all my PF books a couple years ago, and use my Beginner Box and the PRD if need be for monsters/spells/items when I run it. I dont like the complexity of the core/full game at all.

But I bought the PDF of Unchained because some things caught my interest. Mainly the Stamina Pool for fighters. The stamina pool and feats ended up being a little underwhelming (mainly because I dont play a core game and the vast majority of feats , I dont use) BUT- There are several variants I would use. Simplified spellcasting, Consolidated Skills, new action economy. The monster creation section is pretty neat. It all makes me want to run some PF again.

I likely will pick up a print copy at some point.

EDIT- The poison/Disease track..very cool, definitely using from now on.

Yeah, all of these things interested me from the get-go. I've been curious about using Unchained (and maybe some fan-made Unchained versions of other classes) to hack together a Diablo game or something with PF. I do enjoy creating monsters, and the monster creation stuff in the book seems like it's pretty fun to use, and easier than doing it the normal way. I ought to throw a few together.

JeffB

Legend
This weekend Im going to run a oneshot to see how the new action economy goes. Should be a good boost for lower level characters. Especially fighters and rogues.

Remove ads

Remove ads