Pathfinders of Pelligrew's Pinnace [IC 01]

grufflehead

First Post
As his two companions remain seated, Mustapha ventured back behind the bar. He opened several of the cupboards and looked in them.

OOC: He is looking for glasses or something more appropriate for serving tea in than tankards, and something to add to the tea in case the others (if they choose to drink) find the taste too sharp. Sugar or honey would do, while mint leaves or lemon would be better but, I imagine, less likely.

He can take 10 on a Perception check (DC 15) if necessary

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Mustapha locates a set of surprisingly dainty teacups and both sugar and honey in the cabinets behind the bar. As he's moving about the gently swaying pub the Venture-Captain returns looking somewhat more troubled than when he left and worrying at a scrap of parchment.

He shakes his massive head, wild beard wagging as he gestures you back to your seats.

“Sit, friends, sit, and thank you for answering my summons so swiftly. The Society is in need. An old and quite penniless historian, a bespectacled wag-beard by the name of Yargos Gill, has recently made a discovery in an old archive that we have a great interest in obtaining: an ancient codebook, left behind in the wake of one of Taldor’s many failed attempts at invasion. This several-hundred-year-old text would prove an excellent addition to our collection, and must be preserved.

“Yargos makes his home in ‘The Puddles,’ and I'm certain I don't have to tell you that the district is the stomping ground of pimps, harlots, addicts, knifers, and hoards of unseemly derelicts. It’s never been a kind place, but recent reports reveal some new nameless terror on her waterlogged streets. Several persons claim to have seen cloaked, skeletal-like figures marching through an unnatural fog. Ill tidings indeed. Naturally, we're quite worried about the scholar and his discovery, so tracking down Yargos is now a priority, lest some yellow-toothed thug cut him down, or one of these strange wraiths carry him beyond the pale. Find him, fellow Pathfinders, and find the codebook, before something dire happens to it.”

[sblock=OOC]From the time you've spent in the city and from your studies, you know that the Puddles is Absalom’s poorest district, suffering from a well-known reputation as a haven for lowlifes. Following an earthquake ten years ago, parts of the Puddles now rest below sea level, resulting in frequent and untimely flooding. Those who can afford not to live there, don’t.[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Leaf sits motionless almost holding is breath. {{Someone could be in trouble and the Pathfinder's are in need of my help. This is what I signed on for to help my new family.}} Thinking back to the day a group of Pathfinders found the youth struggling to survive and with no knowledge of his name or how he came to be miles from a destroyed goliath villiage.

grufflehead

First Post
'A somewhat inauspicious beginning to our new group' said Mustapha ruefully. 'You said you were expecting a fourth, master Pelligrew? And here we must depart without sharing tea together as companions. No matter, I trust there will be a time for that soon. Please...' he said to Leaf and the dark garbed woman, putting the tray of cups, a pitcher of boiling water and a small pot of honey down on the table. 'I must prepare'.

Leaving the steaming brew, the brass man returned to the pack he left as he entered the Pinnace. Undoing a leather strap he lifted clear a small embroidered rug, with finely tassled edges. Opening the door, he glanced briefly heavenward, before striding into the rain, pulling the door closed behind him as he went.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Leaf looks from the door to the others and shrugs. Taking the steaming pot in hand he pours a cup for himself and then holding he hot water over the second he eyes Lerissa questioningly.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Pelligrew also looks after the departing Mustapha, then shrugs massive shoulders and takes one of the delicate cups of tea in a ham-sized fist. After a small sip and a sigh of appreciation, he continues.

"You'll want to check the Soggy Piper first - Yargos' favored eatery."

mleibrock

First Post
Lerissa

OC - Never mind, found the description of the pub on OP. Can you put a link in the post if you have something on the OP site that relates? That would help me find things on the OP site.

IC - Lerissa listens to Pelligrew and watches the Brass Man oddly leave thinking, I think he'll return, but Damn...that was weird to take off like that. She finishes the ale in front of her, This ale is oddly pleasant. She fights to bring her thoughts back to the matter at hand. and looks from Leaf to Pelligrew and finally speaks, "I am willing to help you with this matter but am also curious about our fourth. As far as Yargos goes, can you also tell us where he resides and if he has any kin still alive. I have heard much of The Puddles and it will definitely be an interesting journey I'm sure."

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Unfortunately, I know nothing more about Yargos than what I've told you - word of his possession of the codebook just came to us, and you represent our first efforts to track him down. I'm not sure where our information regarding his, um, dining choices comes from. It may or may not be accurate."

OOC: Great idea regarding linking to OP information for new locations, Mike. I'll try to remember to do it each time! In the meantime, links to Pelligrew's Pinnace and to Parnham Pelligrew are now in the above post describing the results of Mustapha's search for honey.

Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
The Pinnace's door opened again after a few minutes, and Mustapha entered. He replaced the rug in the top of his pack, and once more wrung the worst of the moisture from his kufiy.

'I believe I spoke hastily about an inauspicious beginning' he said deadpan, 'the rain appears to be slackening to a mere downpour. Perhaps by Starday it will have lessened sufficiently that I should no longer consider investing in a boat building enterprise'.

He approached the table and glanced momentarily at the cups, before giving the briefest of nods.

'Are either of you familiar with The Puddles?' he enquired of Leaf and Lerissa.

[sblock=OOC]I don't normally like just rolling a bunch of random skill checks just because I happen to have potentially useful skills. I'll try and Gather Info once we get out and about, but meanwhile might Knowledge (local) perhaps suggest somewhere where Yargos may have been doing his own research - a library, book shop, a location in the The Puddles itself?

1d20+9=14[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The three of you sit back simultaneously in your chairs, gears turning in your heads as you contemplate what you've learned of Puddles over the three years you've spent in training in and around Absalom.

OOC: In addition to the knowledge in the link above, you'll know that it's highly unlikely Yargos did his studying or research there - books don't last long in the Puddles.

[sblock=Holy Crap!]Rolled natural 20s for Leaf and Lerissa, and an 18 for Mustapha (who has quite the modifier anyway) for KS: Local.
Good luck for y'all - that's two crits the bad guys won't get . . .[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads