• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths of the Damned, Pt. 1: Through the Drakwald

Wilphe

Adventurer
Winfred bows her head in salutation as the elves depart, "Words will take a fortress that ten thousand axes could not," she turns to Granny, "If you have the herbs that you seek, then I think we had better be going, this is no place to be hanging around. We are all fortunate that Hans found your trail as quickly as he did."

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
[sblock]Winifred: The guard stares at you slack-jawed as you tell him of the Beastmen. As you ride off, you can see him scurrying off to tell the Bailiff everything.[/sblock]The next morning passes without incident. The forest is dark and quiet, looming over you ominously. Mid-afternoon, the scouts and Hans return to the caravan with grim tidings. At a crossroads up ahead there is the remains of an ambush, and the road is choked with bodies. The wreckage must be cleared before the caravan can continue on its way.

Iron Captain

First Post
Grimkrag looks displeased at this news.
"Hmmmm. Some strong men should ride ahead to clear the worst of the wreckage. If someone can take me with them on horseback I shall volunteer for this duty. Perhaps Cpt. Schiller can recommend some strong arms. Also we should be wary of further ambushes perhaps it's a trap.

Wilphe

Adventurer
"Ride behind then friend dwarf and take heed that though I might carry you into danger, I may not be willing to tarry to carry ye out again. I hate to be caught still and unmoving, but it's not like we move fast enough to avoid trouble anyway."

Insight

Adventurer
Iron Captain said:
Grimkrag looks displeased at this news.
"Hmmmm. Some strong men should ride ahead to clear the worst of the wreckage. If someone can take me with them on horseback I shall volunteer for this duty. Perhaps Cpt. Schiller can recommend some strong arms. Also we should be wary of further ambushes perhaps it's a trap.

Falandror smiles. "If it's all the same to you," the elf says, "I'd rather not be one of those 'strong men'. Manual labor really isn't in my repertoire."

He takes a few steps forward, fingering his newly-acquired bow. "I could, however, offer my services to watch over the workers and make sure we're not the victim of an ambush. That would be most... unfortunate."

Lot

First Post
Ottokar prepares to help clear the debris and the bodies, saying a parting prayer for the latter in the name of Sigmar. He keeps his hammer at the ready in case of attack but he throws himself into the labor, bringing back memories of his chores in the abby. Only the occasional corpse, frozen with a look of pain or horror, disturbs him from his focus on the work at hand.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Schiller nods. "Thank you." He turns to the refugees. "Johann, Kurt, Erich, gather up some other men and head up with this group to clear off the road. Have the women and children rest here. Guardsmen! Head up there, too. The elf is right -- we don't want to be caught unawares by anything." The captain stays behind with the main group of refugees, while about twelve able-bodied men, several watchmen, Granny Moescher (in case there are any survivors), and Dietrich (in the likely event there are not) join your group on the way to the crossroads.

When you reach the wreckage, you see two wagons, utterly destroyed, and fifteen mutilated corpses. No survivors.[sblock]Everyone make a Will Power Test. Failure earns you 1 Insanity Point (awesome!).[/sblock]As you begin to clear the debris, you notice that all the corpses are adults, nine men and six women, all dead of arrow wounds, and at least four of them appear to have been nobles of some sort or other, judging by the quality of their clothes. Crude black-fletched arrows stud the corpses and litter the ground. Also, one of the wagons has an emblem painted on it, something reminiscent of a set of scales with scrollwork beneath it that says "Delberz."

Insight

Adventurer
"What a... sight," Falandror says, coming upon the ambush site. "I've seen quite a few ambushes in my time, but this particular one seems egregious."

[sblock]
Willpower check 1d100=7 against 29 -- successful!
[/sblock]

Wilphe

Adventurer
Initially Winifred's gorge rises at the sight in front of her, but she hardens her resolve and the urge to retch passes. Her attention is drawn to the four corpses who may have been nobles or the ilk, she hitches her horse to the remains of the nearest wagon and investigates more closely.

She just birefly glances over the other bodies, for any sign of livery that might identify the house they may have belonged to. Then she turns her attention to the markings on the wagon, "Delbrez, maybe a family name, anyone know? Could be nobles, could be merchants, depends if that's the scales of justice or the scales of a merchant. Excuse me, this may be unpleasent but is preferable to an unmarked grave with no news of your fate carried to your loved ones," Winifred takes a good look over the nobles's corpses, trying to ascertain any distinguishing marks that remain. Then she'll take a look for any distinctive rings, seals, lockets or the ilk. Anything ordinary, no matter how valuable, will be passed over, in favour of something unique and distinctive.

Basically she's trying to find out who these people are, so that she can inform their relatives of their passing and return any tokens to their keeping.

OOC:
[sblock]http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?u=Winifred&limit=on
64 first time round
Spend a fortune point to get a re-roll = 19. Success[/sblock]

Don't we have a few days healing to account for?

Remove ads