Paycheck - One of the worst movies ever!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I saw Paycheck yesterday.

Okay...so Uma and Ben should be great. John Woo, the director, should be great. A movie based on a Phillip K. Dick movie should be great. NONE of that turns out to be correct for this movie.

This movie is a HUGE stinker, and I very very rarely ever think any sci-fi anything is a huge stinker. But it is. Horrid horrid acting, to the point where I never want to see either actor in a movie ever again. I don't even want to see Daredevil 2 now, even though I enjoyed Daredevil 1. I don't want to see Kill Bill 2 now, even though I really liked Kill Bill 1.

And I certainly never want to see another John Woo film again (even though I liked movies like Broken Arrow). The directing in this movie was simply awful. It looked like Woo was just checking off tick marks on a page of "Things that should be in action movies like this" and not caring a damn about how well it flowed together or how well the scenes were shot or how believeable that action was.

Blech. Don't see it. Trust me.

pezagent

First Post
The cumulated reviews on rottentomatoes add up to a whopping 21% approval--and some of that is marginal (the critics are being generous)... can't wait until it gets hyped in New Zealand as the best movie ever.

Actually makes me want to read the book.

/johnny :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Will you use the spoiler tags and tell us what the secret is? I understand that there are mile-wide plot holes, but I confess some curiosity as to why he gives up his paycheck.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mistwell said:
A movie based on a Phillip K. Dick movie should be great.

Bah! This is Hollywood we're talking about. The story's original author has no bearing on the quality of the final product. There are simply too many people between you and that original story. Might as well say that it was shot on a nice ocation, and so should be a good movie - the original story is pretty much only the background.

Villano

First Post
Mistwell said:
I saw Paycheck yesterday.

Okay...so Uma and Ben should be great.

Okay, I have to step in here, but "Ben should be great"? Affleck? Ben Affleck? I'm hoping that there's another Ben in the film I don't know about because Ben Affleck is one of the superstars I'm at a loss to explain (Freddy Prinze, Jr is another). Why is he popular? I don't think he can act, and he's a sucking black hole when it comes to charisma.

A movie based on a Phillip K. Dick movie should be great.

Haven't seen the film or read the novel (I assume you meant "a Phillip K. Dick novel" there), but I read a review which said that they changed everything anyway.

Actually, from the commercials, it looks like Memento meets Total Recall.

jasper

Rotten DM
Actually the movie commericals seem to me and my wife to be a remake of the Bogyne Borned Boring Identity.

edit just turn the email note off. move along

Last edited:

Remove ads