D&D 5E PbP games: what works and what doesn't?

Radaceus

Adventurer
Yeh, the 1E Dm is struggling because he wont come to terms with the fact that 5e is the future, the rest of us still play our homebrew 2e and its quite enjoyable, but he will not play because he does not agree ( Narcissistic disorder maybe? i dunno), he only DMs his hard mode gritty realism OD&D, or 'real D&D' as he puts it, and that's what we sign up for, he is our original DM of, geez, has it been 35 years now?...but I digress... it was an extreme tangent, as it all depends on the players and the DM and fun.

Don't worry. 1e was designed as a test of the players' wit. That's why there's no emphasis of character balance. Can the wizard's player survive those weeks of having only one spell per day to get to the point where he got fireball? Can the rogue's player outwit the dangers of the dungeon and avoid getting killed by traps? Read the original Tomb of Horrors. It was meant to kill EVERYONE who played it. Defeating the demi-lich at the end required that you had read the module so you would know what spells to prepare that morning in order to defeat him.

Your friend does not want to play a game of character exploration and growth. He wants to play a puzzle game where the puzzle is his brain child and the players have to unravel it.

Frankly, I think, like all TTRPGs, it depends on the players. If they are into it, it'll work. (Or they will come up with ways to make it work.) If not...

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I am in only one game right now, and contemplating running one. Do not worry though - in three weeks we shall all be awarded with six more games to be in!

I'm DMing one game and, if I include games at roninarmy.com, I'm in 15 games. And even with all those games, I only need to post 3 or 4 games each day and I'm current. PbP is very slow and it is easy to be waiting for someone else to post for several days. (Oh, and I have links to 6 games that are defunct or never started in my "dead games" bookmark folder.)

Remove ads