• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC antics, an emergency kit.

Derfmancher

First Post
Recently I began running a Kingmaker Campaign. We are only on the first section. However my PC's did the most curious thing. They decided to special order a carriage, and 600gp worth of gear to make an "emergency kit". I will post what they have, but I would be curious as to any holes you see in their list, and what you would do differently. Note that the roof of the carriage can handle 200lb, and the 600gp was just about everything they had. Oleg was instructed to create a kit for them to be "ready for anything" and he gave them this list. Additionally there are 5 PC's, level 2, and they just ended their 20th day. They have a total of 4 horses, and one pony.

Existing Kit
2 spades
1 sledge
1 barrel of lantern oil
1 large chest
1 miner's pick
1 iron pot
100 torches
2 block and tackle (pulleys)
100 candles
2 hammers
200 ft of silk rope
2lbs of soap
10 tindertwigs
2 antitoxins
2 vials of holy water
1 masterwork tool
1 kit of artisan's tools
1 healer's kit
1 climber's kit
1 kit thieves tools
100 emergency rations (wandermeal from Adventurers armory)
1 area map
5 blankets
1 folding ladder 10ft
16 days of rations
1 anvil
1 cooking kit
1 stretcher
5 waterskins
5 empty vials
1 signal horn
1 scroll case
2 buckets
1 crowbar
1 fishing net
1 set of flint and steel
1 medium chest
2 bags of moon turnips
1 barrel of water (from the barrel of ale)
4 military saddles
2 pack saddles

Derfmancher

First Post
A good point. Once they get out in the world with it we will see how much use it might be. In addition to this they of course have their own equipment. I am anxious to see if they use any of this to deal with any of the situations in the first part of the adventure.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It's a really good idea that might not get rewarded in the AP so I'd find a way to make this help them out.
ditto.gif

I believe you should expressly make this act of forethought help them. Don't leave it to chance. Create an encounter where the carriage and/or the supplies are critical to the PC's victory.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to have them encounter dozens of hostile Kobolds (too many to fight) who can be persuaded to let the PC's go in exchange for their moon [-]turnips[/-] radishes.

Perhaps others have more ideas.

Derfmancher

First Post
ditto.gif

I believe you should expressly make this act of forethought help them. Don't leave it to chance. Create an encounter where the carriage and/or the supplies are critical to the PC's victory.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to have them encounter dozens of hostile Kobolds (too many to fight) who can be persuaded to let the PC's go in exchange for their moon [-]turnips[/-] radishes.

Perhaps others have more ideas.

They actually misidentified the radishes. (The druid was insistent on rolling to identify them. He always thinks I am lying.)

As to the specific event to reward the preparedness... I was almost thinking of an entire cave complex that the carriage could fit inside, and have them use a variety of their equipment to accomplish a special mission inside.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Does the party have a Dwarf? If so, how can their kit not include the requisite Ale or Beer?

Otherwise, I think they might want to cut the number of torches in half and add a couple of lanterns.

Derfmancher

First Post
Does the party have a Dwarf? If so, how can their kit not include the requisite Ale or Beer?

Otherwise, I think they might want to cut the number of torches in half and add a couple of lanterns.

No dwarf in the party. We have a halfling, two gnomes, and two half elves (to other players have characters but have not shown up in a long time, both elves. I have written them off for the most part.)

As for the torches and lanterns, many of them have their own lantern, but there was a request for "lots of torches" because they had just encounter a cave, and only had one touch :D

I have thought about adding some "hard" liquor. Although they do have the case of green stuff from the bandit camp.

Remove ads