• S3 - You as Player: Pointbuy

Votes: 193 44.6%
  • S3 - You as Player: Roll for stats

Votes: 180 41.6%
  • S3 - You as Player: other [I'll explain below]

Votes: 27 6.2%

Nyaricus

First Post
Okay, here's a multi-question poll about character creation. For each section (S1, S2, etc) choose only one of the three options.

Explaination:

Section 1 [choose one]: Which is your personal favourite method: Pointbuy, roll for stats or other? This doesn't have to be what occurs in the games you run, or the games you play in; simply what you prefer.

Section 2 [choose one]: When/if you DM, are your games more likely to be Pointbuy, Roll for stats, or other? Even if you don't DM, what would be the preferred method in you game?

Section 3 [choose one]: When/if you play, are you more likely to have to pointbuy or roll for stats, or other? Even if you don't usually play, which is more likely in a game you'd be playing in?

Poll upcoming.... Poll is up!

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
I voted Other for all three, although I will readily use either Point Buy or Rolling methods if a my DM wants it that way.

What I normally use is a system where you roll for your stats (4d6, drop lowest, and usually place as desired), with safety net (a minimum value in point buy equivalence. The safety net is 25 at 1st level, and increases with level.

I removed the normal level-based ability score increases. Instead, if your scores are low, you can increase your ability scores as the safety net increases upward. That way, the powerful PCs don't get as many increases in power, and the less powerful PCs at least keep to the baseline.

Sorry if this isn't clear. :\ Interesting Poll, though. :)

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
As a DM, I let my players roll the stats for their first characters (4d6, worst die drops, 12 times, best 6, distribute as wished), and any new characters they might need are 32-point buy....

Nyaricus

First Post
SoA, I follow what you are getting at; you're essentually halfway between the two.

Ni, you are just a power-monger :mad:

Nyaricus

First Post
Infernal Teddy said:
As a DM, I let my players roll the stats for their first characters (4d6, worst die drops, 12 times, best 6, distribute as wished), and any new characters they might need are 32-point buy....
So, um, how'd you vote, given that? Other? :p

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Point-buy all the way because I don't want and don't like the variance of rolls. However, I would have no problem with randomly distributing ability scores, as long as every character ended up with the same starting potential energy.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Nyaricus said:
SoA, I follow what you are getting at; you're essentually halfway between the two.

Ni, you are just a power-monger :mad:

Darn right I am! But I already have the power so therefore hungering for more is silly. I'll just nerf the PCs items and let them get what they want stat wise.

"Yeah that 18 str comes in real handy when you don't have your +5 cold iron demons bane bastard sword of slaying huh!?" :D

Remove ads