• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC Creation: Pointbuy or Roll?

preffered methods, Dms and players [read below for more details!]

• S1 - Your favourite method: Pointbuy

Votes: 230 53.1%
  • S1 - Your favourite method: Roll for stats

Votes: 166 38.3%
  • S1 - Your favourite method: other [I'll explain below]

Votes: 29 6.7%
  • S2 - You as DM: Pointbuy

Votes: 240 55.4%
  • S2 - You as DM: Roll for stats

Votes: 134 30.9%
  • S2 - You as DM: other [I'll explain below]

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • S3 - You as Player: Pointbuy

Votes: 193 44.6%
  • S3 - You as Player: Roll for stats

Votes: 180 41.6%
  • S3 - You as Player: other [I'll explain below]

Votes: 27 6.2%

Agamon

Adventurer
I personally prefer point buy, but most of my players don't, so I've only used in one campaign away from RPGA games.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
In concept, I prefer rolling, but in practice, I prefer point buy both as a player and as a GM.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Agamon said:
I personally prefer point buy, but most of my players don't, so I've only used in one campaign away from RPGA games.

My experience, after almost 25 years of observing random stat generation, is that players claim to prefer random generation until they roll a substandard character. (With "substandard" being relative. If the player's PC's got stat-mods totalling +4, but another player's PC has stat-mods totaling +13, the first player is going to -- rightly -- consider his PC substandard.)

Then typically one of three things will happen: (1) the player will "suicide" the character, in order to try again for "random" high stats; (2) the player will wheedle, cajole, and whine to the DM, again in order to try again for "random" high stats (or, although it's not the player's ideal outcome, a chance to retroactively bump up the stats he rolled with his "preferred" random method); or (3) recognize the merits of point-buy.

The first is a disruption of any campaign, especially as it will often happen repeatedly, until the player "randomly" rolls extremely well. The second is just plain annoying. The third is the best end result, but why waste time getting there? The worst thing is that in the first and second cases, assuming the player is successful in either gambit, the player will continue to express his preference for random stat generation.

Are there exceptions to the above? I'm sure there are, by sheer probability. But I've not met one in 25 years of gaming.

All that said, I don't much like scaled point-buy (like standard 25- or 28-point build, where it becomes increasingly expensive to have a high score). As a DM, I'm not afraid of 18s, and I don't mind if the PCs have them ... as long as they're willing to play the weakness that balances out the strength. I use a weighted point-buy, where the most valuable stats cost very slightly more that median, and the common dump stat costs very slightly less.

Gold Roger

First Post
Point buy all the way. I'd never enforce something in DMing I wouldn't prefer to play so my answer is the same all around. I prefer point buy because it strikes a good overall balance and lets the player define his character as exactly as possible.

As a "stat first" more random method stat drafts are decend as well, but I've found they come out a bit to high on the power curve for my taste.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I strongly prefer point-buy (or some variant of that system).

Jeff Wilder has already said essentially what I was going to (and more), so I'll leave it at that.

Seeker95

First Post
I use a stanadard / static array, and let the player move two points from any one stat to any one stat. Apply racial mods afterward.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
My favorite method is to just let my players choose whatever stats fit their character concept. I'd prefer this as a player too, though I've never had it offered to me.

Remove ads