• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PC Rogues stealing from other PCs

How do you adjudicate theft from PCs by PCs?

• I call alignment on good rogues stealing from their companions.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I call alignment only on lawful good rogues stealing from their companions.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I let the rogue do it, but also let him suffer the consequences when the other characters find out.

Votes: 55 46.6%
  • I let the rogue do it ONLY if the player has a good reason for it.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I actively try to discourage it for the sake of the game.

Votes: 49 41.5%

Longdale

First Post
Personally I try to keep it from happen, but I guess I don't actively discourage it persay. Why? Well there's roleplaying, which my group encourages above all.

Really I don't think it would be a problem if we didn't have a quite immature 14 year old we play with. Not that 14 year olds are immature... just this one.

He gets upset, and has died 2 times from picking a fight with the party's paladin. The paladin felt bad the first time, and took him to the church for a raise (mind you a raise... hehe. Thief went from 13 to 12th level). the second time the thief died, and was left dead... he shouldn't be stealing.

We do a half of the level of the lowest PC for creating new charecters, so what does the twit do? Make a 7th level blackguard.

Yeah... He'll last long. His name is.... Murder Paladinson.
Really, we would kick him outta the group if I didn't grow up with his old man...

Longdale

Moonlion

First Post
The idea that rogues live for the sole purpose of theft is so old. Stealing from another PC is immature, as Longdale pointed out. And, inevitably, the other PC will find out. At the very least, the player will find out.

I would also point out that even if you do subscribe to the idea that rogues exist purely for theft, and if the player feels it necessary to steal from another PC, then that player is bored with the game and focusing on other PCs instead of legitimate targets within the adventure.

Vaxalon

First Post
We had this guy named Airius.

He didn't actually steal from the party, except in the sense that he always got a share in the treasure for doing absolutely nothing.

Eventually he started doing provocative, destructive things. Finally, he attacked a PC, who killed him and rolled him out of a treehouse that was 120' up. Splat.

kenjib

First Post
I wouldn't prevent it, and I voted as such, but I still think that it's really tacky and immature. For me it constitutes a breach of trust that extends beyond the boundaries of the in-character scenario.

Rook

First Post
Not to disparage your thread, but is this question served best by a poll? I mean, I'd choose four out of the five options given as they're not really either/or.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Rook said:
Not to disparage your thread, but is this question served best by a poll? I mean, I'd choose four out of the five options given as they're not really either/or.

I concede to your point, but it wont let me delete or edit the poll. Usually I can but I cant for some reason. Ill try again!

MythandLore

First Post
Good poll, there has always been the problem of stupid stupid rogues stealing from party members.
I think it's even more pathetic when the stupid stupid rogues try to steal more from their own party then the npcs.
Stupid stupid rogues

Remove ads