PCs as Children

Camelot

Adventurer
Here's what I ended up using, and I think it worked very well, mostly because the scene was relatively short and XP was ignored. Start with a normal character and apply the following:
Child
Decrease size by one category.
Adjust height and weight appropriately.
Reduce base speed by 1.
Decrease number of languages known by 1.
Decrease each ability score by 4.
Remove one bonus to a defense from the class traits. If there is a +2 bonus to one defense, it becomes a +1 bonus.
Reduce hit points by twice the value of hit points per level gained.
Reduce healing surges per day by 4.
Reduce number of trained skills by 2.
Remove class features.
Reduce number of feats known by 1.
Reduce number of at-will attack powers known by 1.
Reduce number of daily attack powers known by 1.
Remove the two highest armor and shield proficiencies.
Remove the highest melee and ranged weapon proficiencies.
Start with 70 less gp for equipment.
The character has 0 XP and cannot gain XP.
Teenager
Adjust the height and weight appropriately.
Decrease each ability score by 1.
Reduce the number of trained skills by 1.
Remove the highest armor and shield proficiency.
Start with 30 less gp for equipment.

I was satisfied with the results, because they were able to survive while the children still seemed helpless and the teenagers were just below the cut. If you need to make young PCs, I suggest these adjustments.

Oh, and here's the skill challenge I came up with, just for kicks. They just barely beat it, though that was because there were two PCs doing it, and one was a kid.

Through Streets and Storm
Skill Challenge
The characters are running through the allies of the town during a goblin attack. A magical storm hinders their progress as they try to reach home. One NPC must be carried and kept alive after receiving a near fatal wound from an encounter with a bloodthirsty goblin.
Level
1 (100 XP)
Complexity
1 (requires 4 successes before 3 failures)
Primary Skills
Acrobatics (DC 10): The character ducks and dodges through alleys to avoid encountering goblins. This skill can provide a maximum of 1 success.
Athletics (DC 10): The character climbs fences and runs fast to avoid encountering goblins. This skill can provide a maximum of 1 success.
Stealth (DC 10): The character sneaks past goblins to avoid encountering them. This skill can provide a maximum of 1 success.
Streetwise (DC 10): The character uses knowledge of the streets to find the easiest way home. This skill can provide a maximum of 1 success.
Secondary Skills
Arcana (DC 5): The character uses their knowledge of the magical storm to get through it. The next character to make an Endurance check gains a +2 bonus or a -2 penalty to their check.
Endurance (DC 15, after the 1st and 3rd successes, group check): The character resists the force of the magical storm. Characters who fail lose a healing surge.
Heal (DC 10): The character makes sure the unconscious child stays alive while the group is fleeing. At the end of the challenge, the unconscious child loses 3 healing surges. The number of healing surges he loses is reduced by 1 for each success with this skill. If the unconscious child loses all his heaing surges, he dies.
History (DC 10): The character uses their knowledge of past battles with goblins to try and remember how their strategy works. The next character to make a Stealth or a Streetwise check gains a +2 bonus or a -2 penalty to their check.
Perception (DC 10): The character looks out for easier routes to take. The next character to make an Acrobatics or Athletics check gains a +2 bonus or a -2 penalty to their check.
Success
If the characters achieve 4 successes before 3 failures, they reach their home. The unconscious child loses healing surges if the cahracters did not make enough Heal checks.
Failure
If the characters get 3 failures, they encounter a group of goblins that they can't run away from. Begin a combat encounter immediately. If the characers win the encounter, restart the challenge. The unconscious child still loses healing surges from both challenges.

Turtlejay

First Post
I wanted to reply to this thread after I had thought over this specific problem a little. I really like the idea, and my thoughts were headed in this direction. It is fundamentally easier to place the burden of character respec on the players, so I was thinking along these lines, but probably less comprehensive. This is a good system, I like it.

Jay

Remove ads