PDAs at the Game Table

What type of PDA do you (or would you) use at the gaming table?

• PalmOS (Palm, Handspring, Sony, etc.)

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • PocketPC (iPaq, Dell, etc.)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I don't use a PDA at the gaming table

Votes: 13 32.5%

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Just a poll to see what type is more common among you folks, if any (and thus whether the things I'm contemplating are worth doing). I realize that PalmOS has a bigger market share, but I'm more concerned about the gamer demographic (er...specifically the gamers who come to ENWorld and read this particular message board, I guess :)).

gariig

First Post
I voted once for my girlfriend as she has a Palm. Also, one of our other players has a Palm OS. Just FYI. However, there needs to be a good Palm program out there.

Gariig

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Picked up an iPAQ last year and have been very happy with it. Things I have downloaded and used on it, GenCon event book in speadsheet format, documents, some pics of monsters. Also use note, to draw quick maps/diagrams and have used the recording feature to take notes and play back sounds.

Ready am looking forward to tablet PCs as soon as the price starts to drop on them!

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I use PalmOS for my jump calculator program, my craft calculator program and for character sheets on a spreadsheet.

Cheers

Artoomis

First Post
I use PCGenView on my Visor Deluxe (Palm OS). Fantastic program. Not perfect, but a great play aid.

I make my character in PCGen and then use PCGenView in-game for my attacks and spell casting. Works great!!

It does a great job of keeping track of spells, proper attack bonuses for each strike in a full attacks, damage multipliers, etc.

El Seso

First Post
I had a Palm Vx for a while that I loved, but never could find a use for it at the table. I'm now using an iPaq, and the only use I've found for it so far is an equipment list in Excel; I can have it automatically calculate my weight.
I'd love to use it for my character sheet, but haven't found anything cool in that way yet.

Shapermc

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
Ready am looking forward to tablet PCs as soon as the price starts to drop on them!

:drool:
hls_tablet-animation.gif

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Tablet PC needs to work on the glitches first. I'd rather wait for the second generation.

BTW, which is better: Palm-powered PDA or WinCE PocketPC? And I don't mean just the special features but performance.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Ranger REG said:

BTW, which is better: Palm-powered PDA or WinCE PocketPC? And I don't mean just the special features but performance.

I suppose it depends upon what constitutes "better" for your own purposes.

My personal preference is for PalmOS, because it is lightweight, intuitive, doesn't require much in the way of resources and does everything that I want (and more!). It is well designed for the use of the stylus, with lots of sensible default behaviours.

I don't like the PocketPC form-factor, and each time I tried to use it I found the modified version of the desktop O/S difficult to get to grips with. The higher resolution screen would have been attractive, but once I was able to get a 320x320 res PalmOS unit back in 2001 (Sony Clie) I've not looked back.

This is just my opinion, of course. I've seen virtual blood spilt in flame wars over such topics on boards dedicated to one or the other!

Cheers

Remove ads