PEACH: Controller ConLock

darkbard

Legend
The following is an attempt to convert one of my wife's favorite characters from 3E into 4E. Thus, there are some not-quite-optimal choices here that, instead, attempt to replicate the flavor of that character. The game parameters would be what most would consider mid-optimization for a home game.

The following is set: Half-elf, CON primary, controller role, longsword weapliment, Eldritch Strike. Both Vistani Heritage and Beguiler are taken for their control additions (especially with Vestige of Vistan late in Heroic tier), though, obviously, their minor action powers do compete with Warlock's Curse.

The rest of the party: Drow Cleric (Dune Trader, Caravan Master), Half-orc two-blade Ranger (Sentinel Marshal, Pathfinder), Halfling Artful Dodger Rogue (Son of Alagondar, Halfling Quickblade).

The game would use inherent bonuses, and the equipment, while negotiable, is the likely haul, after division, over 10 levels for a group of four. It doesn't account for wealth found in gold that could supplement the DMG parcel items via purchase of Common items.

Thankful, as always, for any and all feedback!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Conroller ConLock, level 11
Half-Elf, Warlock, Umbral Cabalist
Eldritch Pact Option: Vestige Pact
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Proficiency: Weapon Proficiency (Longsword)
Inherent Bonuses
Gritty Sergeant (Gritty Sergeant Benefit)
Theme: Beguiler

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 21, DEX 13, INT 19, WIS 9, CHA 15

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 12, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 12

AC: 23 Fort: 24 Ref: 24 Will: 23
HP: 83 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +12, History +14, Intimidate +12, Religion +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Athletics +5, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +10, Heal +4, Insight +6, Nature +4, Perception +4, Stealth +8, Streetwise +7, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Beguiler Attack: Beguiling Flash
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Feat Attack: Evil Eye of the Vistani
Wizard Attack 1: Beguiling Strands
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Eyes of the Vestige
Warlock Attack 1: Chains of Levistus
Warlock Attack 1: Tyranny of Flame
Warlock Utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Warlock Attack 3: Fortune Binding
Warlock Attack 5: Vestige of Baatar
Arcana Utility 6: Insightful Warning
Warlock Attack 7: Mordant Rains of Dis
Warlock Attack 9: Vestige of the Onyx Queen
Beguiler Utility 10: Vanishing Swirl
Umbral Cabalist Attack 11: Command of the Abyss

FEATS
Level 1: Vistani Heritage
Level 2: Blade Initiate
Level 4: Bloodied Boon
Level 6: War Wizard's Expertise
Level 8: Vestige of Vistan
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Superior Will

ITEMS
Rod of Corruption +1 x1
Shadowdance Leather Armor +1 x1
Githyanki Silver Longsword +2 x1
Headband of Intellect (heroic tier) x1
Warlock's Bracers x1
====== End ======

MwaO

Adventurer
Some notes:
Really, really, really want Mirror Darkly as U6. This lets her turn blasts into effectively bursts and gives some nice defensive values - sometimes there's a soldier in the way and you want to hit the BBEG and one of his friends with Onyx Queen. And hey, it works for curses, too as to who is closest. Really great power.

Consider Superior Reflexes over Improved Defenses given already having Superior Will. Gain +3 Ref instead of +2 Fort/Ref, but then also get free CA for round 1, a turn that Controllers really like to have CA for.

Really like Elder Constellation over single target control. Swap targets.

-------

So as an example, this might often happen in round 1 now - get CA. Do Mirror Darkly to put a shade out there. Curse the BBEG. Then swap the BBEG with the upfront Soldier.

darkbard

Legend
Thanks, MwaO! My prioritizing Insightful Warning was defense, but I forgot completely about the insubstantial aspect of Mirror Darkly. I had been debating Mordant Rain vs. Elder Constellation, and I think your argument has convinced me--especially if swapping in Superior Reflexes for a better shot at hitting both targets and enacting that teleport.

darkbard

Legend
Some notes:
Really, really, really want Mirror Darkly as U6. ... Really great power.

The more I think about this power, the more I appreciate its overall utility. I wonder if it's worth upping the rating in your Poachable Powers guide. You currently have it as black, but I think it may warrant at least a dark blue, no?

MwaO

Adventurer
The more I think about this power, the more I appreciate its overall utility. I wonder if it's worth upping the rating in your Poachable Powers guide. You currently have it as black, but I think it may warrant at least a dark blue, no?

I don't think Mirror Darkly is generally a reason that you'd hybrid Warlock or spend a feat to do a utility power swap - which is what is required to get rated higher than black. Sometimes a great power is just a great power.

MwaO

Adventurer
I agree on the former, for sure. I'm less sure on the latter, but I defer to your experience!

Dark Blue/Sky Blue specifically for that guide are for the powers where you rewrite the PC explicitly because the power exists as opposed to simply wanting it.

I can totally see someone wanting to poach the power with a power swap and it would be likely a good deal(why it is black). I'm not sure I've ever seen one, but it is a good choice. But a lot more PCs are running around with Ethereal Sidestep so they can get a teleport speed - that's an example of a sky blue power...

darkbard

Legend
Yes, I understand your logic and agree. But by that same logic, should Skill Powers really be included in that guide with the same color ratings? I mean, the resource cost (training a skill, albeit potentially at the cost of a MC feat to gain said training) is less than the choice to hybrid or spend 2 feats (MC & power swap) for a class power.

Don't get me wrong: I am very grateful for the Skills Powers guide; it was an underscrutinized component of the game during the life of 4E. But few characters should, for example, actively consider hybridding or MCing just to get skill training in Nature for Natural Terrain Understanding, right? That's more a case of if you are already trained in Nature, you should seriously consider comparing NTU with your native class list.

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
Mirror Darkly as U6. ... And hey, it works for curses, too as to who is closest.

Is this so? According to the wording of MD, "you can use your space or the shade’s space as the origin of your attacks;" but Warlock's Curse says merely, "you can place a Warlock’s Curse on the enemy nearest to you that you can see," and it isn't labeled an attack.

What is the rules logic for Warlock's Curse counting as an attack? Is it that according to the RC every power is either a Utility or an Attack?

Remove ads