Pearl of Power?

Celebrim

Legend
"For incredible amounts of magic missiles, Extend some Rary's Enhancers the day before entering the dungeon."

Err... there goes the rules again. As usual, when something seems to be to good to be true, it usually is.

From the description of Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer:

"...
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
...."

From the description of the Extend Spell feat:

"You can cast spells that last longer than normal.
Benefit: An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. Spells with a concentration, Instantaneous , or permanent duration are not effected by this feat."

Even if it wasn't explicit, double of instantaneous is still instantaneous. The enhanced spells still go away after 24 hours. This is NOT the duration of the spell.

I wish the guys min/maxing the rules would actually read the rules.

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Of course, the spell lasts for 24 hours (though it can't be Extended). If you cast it 8 hours before you prepare your spells for the day, you still have the extra spells for most of the day. It doesn't need to be Extended:

Rary’s Mnemonic Enhancer

Transmutation
Level: Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal
Target: The character
Duration: Instantaneous

The character prepares or retains additional spells. In either event, the spell or spells prepared or retained fade after 24 hours (if not cast).

Pick one of these two versions:

Prepare: the character prepares up to three additional levels of spells (such as three 1st-level spells...

mikebr99

Explorer
Corwin...

Each PoP can be used once per day... two if it specifically says so (the 70k gp version only).

Your whole party could use the darn thing, but only 1 use per day total, not 1 use per day per person...

Gromm

First Post
Sigma said:

Almost as many as a sorcerer has w/o a necklace. ;)

Aint that the truth.
I've seen sorcerors cast 20+ in day without blinking, while hasted of course. So thats 10d4+10 every round until whatever they are fighting dies.
Don't forget acid arrow. First round haste, acid arrow-2d4. 2nd round acid arrow, acid arrow, 6d4. 3rd round AA,AA 10d4. Next round 10d4 again and hes casting other spells.
The player figured it up and he could potentially do like 200d4 damage or something insane like that with just acid arrows, over the course of roughly 10 rounds.

Larcen

Explorer
Gromm said:

Aint that the truth.
I've seen sorcerors cast 20+ in day without blinking, while hasted of course. So thats 10d4+10 every round until whatever they are fighting dies.
Don't forget acid arrow. First round haste, acid arrow-2d4. 2nd round acid arrow, acid arrow, 6d4. 3rd round AA,AA 10d4. Next round 10d4 again and hes casting other spells.
The player figured it up and he could potentially do like 200d4 damage or something insane like that with just acid arrows, over the course of roughly 10 rounds.

Wow! Can you tell me exaclty how the sorcerer can fire off 20+ in a day?

Also, acid arrow IS powerful. Good thing a lowly 0-level Create Water spell poured over the victim can dilute most of the damage. ;) A large waterskin works almost as good too.

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
Larcen said:

Wow! Can you tell me exaclty how the sorcerer can fire off 20+ in a day?

The 20th level Sorcerer in the DMG has can cast 8 - 1st level spells. If you change his feats after 4th all to 1st level extra slots (T&B) you will get 5 more 1st level spells per day. Now just add a ring of Wizardry (1st) and you'll be casting 26 - 1st level spells per day.

And thats just off the top of my head... ;)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I've given out a few pearls of power in my game and it doesn't come off as too overpowering. As has already been pointed out, it requires two rounds to get off a spell this way.

As for limiting the use of PoP of the same level, I don't think it is necessary. You can extend your spell selection much more cheaply by simply making scrolls.

Remove ads