• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

People who do not frequent wizards.com

Layander

First Post
Not to get to far off the original topic, but if they just do 4.5 they will not get any of the players who left the game demographic that they are aiming at.

Nagol

Unimportant
Will 5e be written mostly by players who play 4e since only they commonly speak on the wizards forums? From their viewpoint everyone wants the game to be the same since they only input they get are existing fans, and not the pathfinder, or dragonsfoot crowd.

Hence their big push into mainstream news, I think.

One provided email address to join the beta and they get your input whether or not you even know wizards.com exists.

If you want to have a voice you can sign up (I have), and the lead designer is somebody who endorced the Pathfinder game. I think that is all that needs to be said here.

Dice4Hire

First Post
my guess is the communities input will be ignored by and large. The playtests are just there to build excitement about the game. The whole things probably already designed and only little pieces are being let out of the bag at a time. It'll probably be "dnd" 4.5 when the hardcovers hit the stores. Thankfully we have places other than the WOTC forums to talk freely about the game.

foolish_mortals

Pretty negative viewpoint.

And I do not agree.

I think WOTC will be happy to use new ideas someone comes up with.

But I think they have a lot of their ideas already in the game, and it will be hard to go against those base ideas.

R

RHGreen

Will 5e be written mostly by players who play 4e since only they commonly speak on the wizards forums? From their viewpoint everyone wants the game to be the same since they only input they get are existing fans, and not the pathfinder, or dragonsfoot crowd.

I keep wondering about that. I mean, one of the reasons I post on here with ideas sometimes is the hope that someone from WOTC will see them, as many do I imagine, and sort of help them out - at least give some inspiration or give my own opinion on what I like. I just wonder if they have much interest (or even if they should), but it probably doesn't help when a lot of posts are griping and edition war over the top arguments.

I have my own arguments against parts of any given edition, and sometimes I express it quite heartily, but I hope my stance is quite balanced, but really, if you worked for WOTC, would you want to read through that much vitriol.

I imagine the WOTC boards, while not completely safe, are more of a sanctuary for employees than any other board. I wouldn't know. When I was on their boards years ago if you said anything with any negativity you were pounced on by twelve year old fanboys so I dropped it and never went back. I was as much sick of my own arguing as I was theirs.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer

The pool of playtesters is probably going to skew a little towards the 4e pool. Not necessarily overwhelmingly so, but a little.

But don't assume that 4e fans as a whole want drastically different things from other pools of players. While there are definitely element in 4e that annoy the haters, the schism seems to me to lean more towards particular attitudes of early 4e, and things that people feel are lacking, rather than present. Liking 4e for what it is does not automatically equate with a preference for those attitudes or said lack.

Pilgrim

First Post
I don't play 4E and I visit the site. So, I don't think 4E players are going to be the only ones having a hand in the feedback.

mkill

Adventurer
I think the devs figured that people who can't be bothered to visit their website, or any of the organized events, to give their feedback, are not the target audience.

Seriously, they opened this process to community feedback, it's on us to participate. What else do you want? Mike Mearls getting on a plane to attend your weekly gaming table, to shape the game under your enlightened vision and guidance? Sense of entitlement much?

NewJeffCT

First Post
The pool of playtesters is probably going to skew a little towards the 4e pool. Not necessarily overwhelmingly so, but a little.

But don't assume that 4e fans as a whole want drastically different things from other pools of players. While there are definitely element in 4e that annoy the haters, the schism seems to me to lean more towards particular attitudes of early 4e, and things that people feel are lacking, rather than present. Liking 4e for what it is does not automatically equate with a preference for those attitudes or said lack.

I play 4E, but there are certainly a good amount of changes I'd make to the system. I play 4E mostly for ease of use for me as a DM.

I go through spurts of visiting the WotC forums - I'll post frequently for a few weeks, then disappear for a few months.

Remove ads