• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

People worried about saving everyone else

DonTadow

First Post
Speaks With Stone said:
Pushing your players against their play style is likely to fail and just frustrate you. When you design an adventure you have to take your players tendencies into account. One size does not fit all. The trick is to balance out the various player styles with your own play style. I've been playing with my group for many years, and I still have problems getting all of my players in sync. If I've catered to some while leaving out others one night, I try to balance it out the other way the next night.

But every night has some of the GMs style in it. It's the nature and primary perk of the job.
I don't think he shoudl change his style, but I think that offering those pcs an adventure dedicated to their style every now and then can create balance. Sometimes, trying to mash all the styles in one session doesnt work and comes off as that, a mesh. But focusing on diffrent pcs each session can keep the campaign refreshed while making all of the players happyl

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Hit them with raise dead level loss, or re-entering the game 1 level lower than the lowest level, if you want to discourage this behaviour.

There are few things more humbling than being the party 'sidekick'.

diaglo

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
Or to play a paladin who falls. I've had ideas for that, too, and it looked briefly like it was about to happen in a recent campaign, but never did.

Come to the dark side, Ari

you know you want to....

OD&D(1974)....

ask the Paladin or the rest of the players in the campaign....

the opportunity to do this is part of the challenge of playing a paladin. always having to make the hard choice. to be the good guy. to be the stand up hero, the other party members look to and rely on to do the right thing....

dicechild

First Post
I might try that. That is sort of how I had to save them last time, but it gets old. I might just have a friendly spellcaster heal them while they're in battle, then split the group. I just don't know yet.
Snuffles, you should just kick the guy in the face:) Oregonians can do it, why can't you? Just kidding.
KP
I meant just kidding, Oregonians aren't supposed to do it. You still should though.

rbingham2000

Explorer
If there are people worthy of protection that you want to ensure their escape, or if the enemy you're facing is something very dangerous that you don't want to let escape the dungeon and wreak havoc on the outside world (like the Balrog of Khazad-Dum in Fellowship of the Ring), then you are definitely justified in laying down your life so that the others have a chance to escape.

sniffles

First Post
dicechild said:
Snuffles, you should just kick the guy in the face:) Oregonians can do it, why can't you? Just kidding.
KP
I meant just kidding, Oregonians aren't supposed to do it. You still should though.

Luckily that wasn't me who had to suffer with that jerk - it was swrushing. And I don't DM (yet), so I just have to be a suffering player when my fellow gamers do crazy things. :D

palleomortis

First Post
sniffles said:
Luckily that wasn't me who had to suffer with that jerk - it was swrushing. And I don't DM (yet), so I just have to be a suffering player when my fellow gamers do crazy things. :D

SWEET, someone else in my perdicerment. I am dice childs player, and we are currently Co-DMing a game. Mostly his work tho. But it's nice to know someone else here that is not quite a DM yet either.;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonmasterCal
Because that's what heroes do.

Exactly. (end quote)

THREE CHEERS FOR THE HEROS. Nice avatar by the way there.

focallength

First Post
have bard tell the taale of a heroic night who singlehandedly saved the lives of hundreds, and when the pcs start hearing of this tale theyll say "hey! what about us?! we were there too!" or have a statue erected or a holy day declared. All kinds of cool things, I like the bards though the other pcs will get all pissy that they were left out of the stories or portrayed badly. "The heroic sir so-n-so stood valiantly against the dragon as the villagers made their escape...his compatriots were nowhere to be seen, having fled with the towns folk, leaving the stalwart hero to fend off the great evil red wyrm by himself..."Have all the little kids start pretending they are the hero..."I wanna be sir so-n-so this time!, you can be the cowardly mage, cuz you were sir so-n-so last time,...no way Im not being that stupid wizard, Ill be the dragon instead!" As the wizard strolls down the street.

gizmo33

First Post
dicechild said:
How do I regulate this so they can stay in the game and not die every time. And then for another thing, the other people in their party are selfish and do not see any point in resurrecting them. Although for some reason, it is hilarious

Yes, it is hilarious. There's nothing to do here except figure out why it bothers you that they do this. They can stay in the game if they make up new characters. Do you have trouble thinking of interesting ways to introduce new characters to a campaign? If continuity is a problem, think of ways to reward those characters that keep themselves alive - perhaps NPCs are nicer to them because they get to know the regular non-suicidal PCs. Or have the new characters for the game be a level lower than the existing party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads