• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Periapt of Resilience (help me price?)

Astalanya

First Post
Periapt of Resilience:
At first glance, this item merely appears to be a scissor-cut topaz set upon a silver choker. However, when worn, it grants the wearer a +2 resistance bonus to her Fortitude saves.
Faint abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, resistance, creator’s caster level must be at least three times the periapt’s bonus; Price: ??; Weight 1 lb

Greater Periapt of Resilience:
At first glance, this item merely appears to be a silver choker studded with golden topazes. However, when worn, it grants the wearer a +4 resistance bonus to her Fortitude saves.
Faint abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, resistance, creator’s caster level must be at least three times the periapt’s bonus; Price: ??; Weight 1 lb

I think this should be fairly straightforward, but I'd like to make sure I've done pricing right.

The average cost for resistance bonuses to all saves:
+1 - 1000 gp, +2 - 4000 gp, +3 - 9000 gp, +4 - 16,000 gp, +5 - 25,000 gp.

My thinking here is this: if the save bonus only goes to one save, not all, shouldn't that qualify for a price reduction? If so, should I factor it as:
1. one-third the cost of a standard resistance bonus? (one save of three)
2. two-thirds the cost of a standard resistance bonus?
3. one-half the cost of a standard resistance bonus?
4. something else?

ARandomGod

First Post
First of all I'd make the item a +2 unnamed bonus to fort saves, and price it at 10K (pricing it as an item that duplicates a feat). The Greater one I'd probably price at 25K... or just not allow.

But since you're calling this a resistance bonus, so that it won't stack with cloaks of resistance...

I'd make it +3 for resist and price it at the same price as an item of +1 to all resists. That's the same total amount of resistance. For the greater I'd have it be +6... But I'd price it at the same price as +3 to all... just because.

For +2 resistance bonus to one save. I think that 1/3 of the price of +2 to all is a fair place to price it. Of course, it looks like a little more that I'd price it at if you look at the above suggestion. Same for +4, I'd just have it at a flat 1/3 of the price of a resist all +4 item.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I could see an argument for making it 1/5 the cost of the equivalent bonus to all saves. i.e. 800 gp for +2. Have one such item taking a slot, the other two items (for the other two saves) slotless (x2 cost) for 1600 gp each. Total; 1 slot and 4000 gp for +2 resistance bonus to all saves, the same as cloak of resistance +2.

Now, the improved flexibility should up the cost a bit. (You can share the items among three characters to cover their poor saves, say). But this would be worth just a bit extra. Maybe 1/4 instead of 1/5. Then a +2 periapt would maybe be worth 1000 gp. Which is not too far away from the 1/3 price of 1333 gp, but that might be too expensive.

Remove ads