• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permanency

Janos Antero

First Post
Does the caster have to be the one who casts both a permanency, and the spell to be made permenant?

Has a list been given anywhere on which spells from Magic of Faerun or Defenders of Faith may be made permanent?

gfunk

First Post
I don't think you have to be the caster of the Permanency and the spell to be made permanent.

There is no additional list of spells, except maybe in the PsiHB.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
gfunk said:
I don't think you have to be the caster of the Permanency and the spell to be made permanent.

There is no additional list of spells, except maybe in the PsiHB.

PsiHB has no spells, and therefore no additional list of them.....

There are some books (e.g. The Books of Eldritch Might, IIRC) that state which of the spells in it are eligible for permanency.

RigaMortus

Explorer
You know what would be nice?

If in 3.5 they made a nice little notation (maybe as asterisk or something) next to each spell that could be used with Permanency.

And then they can do the same from that point out when they make "Magic of Faerun 3.5", "Defenders of Faith 3.5" and "Tome and Blood 3.5".

Kae'Yoss

First Post
RigaMortus said:
And then they can do the same from that point out when they make "Magic of Faerun 3.5", "Defenders of Faith 3.5" and "Tome and Blood 3.5".

Well, since the list isn't that big, you can as well look at the description of permanency.

And I doubt that there will be a Revision of the Splatbooks, or of other Accessories. (They said themselves that they'll concentrate on making new content, also, while some people buy the core rules twice, very few will buy all the books twice, especially if the difference won't be that great)

I could imagine a revision of MM2 and PsiHB, though (but that's about it!)

Magic Rub

First Post
From the SRD

The DM may allow other selected spells to be made permanent. Researching this possible application of a spell costs as much time and money as independently researching the selected spell. If the DM has already determined that the application is not possible, the research automatically fails. Note that the character never learns what is possible except by the success or failure of the character's research.

Skaros

First Post
RigaMortus said:
You know what would be nice?

If in 3.5 they made a nice little notation (maybe as asterisk or something) next to each spell that could be used with Permanency.

That would seem like a bit of a waste for me. How often is the spell really used as written anyway?

Sure, I'll sacrifice a good portion of a level to make some minor effect permanent...and then the next area dispel that rolls through can take it out at no cost to my enemy.....

-Skaros

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Such things are a little brutal, I think. Besides, many campaigns don't allow for the characters to spend months working on stuff.

zyzzyr

First Post
I don't know if it's been erratta'd, but an interesting note:

According to the spell description, "Magic Fang" can be made Permanent. But Permanency is only on the Sor/Wiz list, while Magic Fang is only on the Ranger/Druid list.

strange goodness ...

Remove ads