• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permanent Righteous Might

Glutton

First Post
I checked all the standard allowed uses of permanency, and none of them have a 1 round/caster level duration, like Righteous Might: all of them are at least 1 minute/caster level. That's one reason allowing the application of permanency on it seems questionable

kreynolds

First Post
Crothian said:
Only the spells under permency can be made permenant. Anything else would be a house rule.

That's a little harsh, let alone incorrect. Permanency can be applied to other spells but it requires researching if the spell isn't already on the list. Additionally, whether or not the research is successful must be ultimately determined by the DM. There is room for growth in regards to permanency, and it's within the rules and is even stated that it can be applied to other spells. "House Rule" has nothing to do with it at all. It's just like researching a new spell, meaning it is supported by the rules.

Macbrea

First Post
Lets actually, answer this in a method that might help the DM asking the question make their own determination.

You will notice that all the spells listed in the books that can be made permanent on yourself are of 3rd level or lower. Righteous might is a 5th level spell. The question now can a 5th level permanency allow for a permanent 5th level spell to be attached to a person. You will notice that Magic Fang is available as a choice but Greater Magic Fang isn't. Ask yourself why? My guess would be it was done for game balance reasons.

So, when determining wether research would provide a fruitful result, you should probably look at the other spells available.

IMO: I personally, would not allow it to be made permanent with the 5th level version of this spell. I would however possibly make it available with Miracle.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Macbrea said:
You will notice that all the spells listed in the books that can be made permanent on yourself are of 3rd level or lower. Righteous might is a 5th level spell. The question now can a 5th level permanency allow for a permanent 5th level spell to be attached to a person. You will notice that Magic Fang is available as a choice but Greater Magic Fang isn't. Ask yourself why? My guess would be it was done for game balance reasons.

I don't think game balance is a limiting factor, at least not as much as you think. The Permanency spell does a pretty good job of keeping itself balanced by using increasing caster level requirements (spell level + 10) and XP costs. For each spell level of the spell you want to make permanent, there is a 500XP cost associated to it. For example, to make a 1st level spell permanent, you must spend 500XP. To make a 7th level spell permanent, you must spend 3,500XP. Technically, there isn't a limit as far as what you can do, except for DM approval of course.

Here's the kicker though. Sure, if you want to, you can research a permanent application of a 9th level spell for yourself, though it would cost you the standard time and resources to research the spell, you must meet the caster level requirement of 17th level, and you must then spend 4,500XP. But the balancing factor is this. All it takes is one successful dispel magic from another 18th level caster and BOOM!, you're permanent spell is gone. So, all that time, all that money, all that XP just got blown away by a simple Dispel Magic.

Not very pemanent if you ask me, and the very reason that the spell itself has no spell level limitations. What level spell you wanna make permanent isn't a big deal. The spell itself, however, is.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
I would allow it in my campaign, mainly for the reasons Sean mentioned. Also, although it is a nice spell, having it up all the time could cause some social problems for the character. And of course, since dispel magic will take it some of the time, Mordenkainen's Disjunction will take it out all of the time. That's just not a nice thing to have happen to your 4,500xp. :)

Joker

First Post
-Can a cleric cast Righteos Might on himself and then have a wizard cast permanency on him.

-or does the character who wants to do this have to be at least a 9th lvl cleric/ 9thlevel wizard

-or can it be a 1st level cleric/ 9th level wizard with a scroll of righteos might.

-or is there a cleric domain that has permanency as one of its spells.

Just some foor for thought, or is it thought for food. Ah screw it.

Tata.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads