Peter Jackson discusses directing "The Hobbit"

Kai Lord

Hero
An excerpt from an interview published by the Associated Press:

Q: There's a lot of curiosity now about whether anyone will film Tolkien's prequel, "The Hobbit." Are you interested in directing that someday?

Peter Jackson: I'd be happy to do it. It would be strange for somebody else to do it. And I also think to do justice to "The Hobbit" it would be great to bring some of the same actors back. I think it would be a cool thing to have the continuity of the design and the look and feel of the world and use whatever actors we're able to repeat in the story.

Q: Any movement on that project?

Peter Jackson: New Line hasn't talked to me about it yet. I can only assume they're motivated to do it now, but the rights are kind of complicated.

I like The Hobbit as a book, but I'm not sure that it would work as a movie. I mean, the main characters are a Hobbit, twelve dwarves and a wizard. I think it would be necessary to get rid of some of the dwarves, only to keep those who seem to have some kind of personality: Thorin, Balin, Bombur, Fili, Kili, and maybe Gloin, for continuity's sake.

ReignofGeekaos

First Post
The Mirrorball Man said:
I like The Hobbit as a book, but I'm not sure that it would work as a movie. I mean, the main characters are a Hobbit, twelve dwarves and a wizard. I think it would be necessary to get rid of some of the dwarves, only to keep those who seem to have some kind of personality: Thorin, Balin, Bombur, Fili, Kili, and maybe Gloin, for continuity's sake.

That ain't going to happen. What I do think they should do though is get John Rhyes-davies to play Gloin if they do it ;) Just so Gimli looks a bit like his Dad.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
The Mirrorball Man said:

There were 13 dwarves, Bilbo was chosen to prevent them from having an unlucky number. Get rid of a few dwarves, and you get rid of the reason for them to have Bilbo along in the first place. :)

Gnarlo said:
There were 13 dwarves, Bilbo was chosen to prevent them from having an unlucky number. Get rid of a few dwarves, and you get rid of the reason for them to have Bilbo along in the first place. :)
I'd rather have a new explanation for Bilbo to join the Quest of Erebor than end up with a movie in which Dwalin, Oin, Bifur, Bofur, Dori, Nori, and Ori are considered main characters.

TiQuinn

The Mirrorball Man said:
I'd rather have a new explanation for Bilbo to join the Quest of Erebor than end up with a movie in which Dwalin, Oin, Bifur, Bofur, Dori, Nori, and Ori are considered main characters.

They probably wouldn't be. Not every dwarf would have to have a major speaking role. It's been awhile since I read the book, but I don't recall there being a focus on each dwarf...just a few of them.

Endur

First Post
I think you keep all 13 of the Dwarves, but only Thorin, Balin, and Bombur would get much speaking time.

Bombur for comic relief.

Thorin as the Doomed Leader.

Balin as perhaps Bilbo's closest friend among the dwarves.

I think you would have to keep Gandalf and the Trolls. The gobins in the mountains. Gollum. Beorn. The Spiders. The Wood Elves. Smaug and Bard teh Bowman. The Battle of Five Armies.

Although that's a lot of stuff. I suppose they might drop Beorn when filming it.

johnsemlak

First Post
What's complicated about the rights (john asks naively)? I thought New Line also owned the rights to the Hobbit, becuse they didn't want someone else doing it and competing with LotR.

Remove ads