• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Pets and animals that are not companions

RufusDaMan

First Post
I would treat wardogs, and other trained/bought pets that obviously have offensive capabilities like an NPC under my control. I roll for them, not the PC-s and the PC-s have little or no control over their actions. An adventurer's mastiff is likely to grow accostumed to fight and battle, and therefore it would not get frightened (unless the PC-s are facing something like a Devil, Demon, Undead, Dragon or sth similar). Yeah it might be useful for attacking some guards, and bandits, but it is just a generic NPC. It's not a character, it is not protected by any means, it's an asset. it will probably die in a combat soon.

If the PC has animal handling it can teach the creature to attack specific targets, cease combat and stuff like that, but that needs many months of living together. I would have this as a bonus action, but the animal gets no bonuses and I would require a handle animal roll to make it work. The DC of the roll would depend on how long the animal was trained.
With this method a mastiff that the players managed to keep alive for many months has more "value" than a new one they just purchased. I might even add some "levels" to a long lived pet, increasing its health and proficiency bonus, but nothing else.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In my campaign: if you can hire hirelings to fight for you, you can purchase attack animals to fight as well. On the other hand, past low levels finding trained exotic (high CR) beasts would probably be an adventure in itself, and always expensive. 1500gp for plate will improve many in combat and rarely if ever have a chance to get destroyed. 1500gp for pets may make a larger immediate contribution, but have less "shelf life" as they die off. (And use up healing resources, need to be restrained in town, not fit in dungeons, and refuse to go in sewers.)

Want your archer firing from a canopy on the back of your war elephant? Go for it, seems like a good use of funds to me.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Im fine w1ith guard dogs etc in combat - theyre npcs, and players can give orders using their action, which the dog then attempts to carry out until orders change or morale intervenes.

Remove ads