• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E PF2e Bestiary: Let's Read and Review!

dave2008

Legend
I am planning to read and review the PF2e Bestiary monster by monster. I plan to rank each monster in three categories: Art; Stats/Mechanics; Lore.

Each category will get a score from 0-2:

0 = Bad. Not what I would expect for this type of book and / or this level of creature. poor or incomplete or uninspired art, lore, or mechanics that add nothing to the reading, viewing, or play experience.
1 = Below Average. A little below expectations for what I would like to see in a bestiary and/or this level of creature.
2 = Average. What I expect to see for a monster in this type of book and/or this level of creature. You buy this book expecting to get scores of 1.
3 = Above Average. Slightly better than what I expect from a bestiary entry and/or this level of creature. Good art, lore, or mechanics.
4 = Exceptional. Above and beyond what I expect for a bestiary and/or this level of creature. Really great art, lore, or mechanics that make it a joy to read, look at, or play.

Then I provide a total score for each monster (the average of the art, stat, and lore score) with the same ratings as noted above for each category.

I love monster books and though I don't think I will be playing PF2e (and I didn't play PF1e) I always like to get another monster book. Heck 75% of the reason I purchased 5e adventures was for the new monsters! Anyway, I finally got to see the PF2e Bestiary in person yesterday and decided I didn't want to purchase the hard copy, but I did pick up the PDF for this review.

Also, in the list below, if the letter in front of the spoiler tag is red and a larger font, that indicates that letter has at least some completed reviews. Letters with no review yet are gray.

Table of Contents:
A-D
E-J
K-P
Q-Z

First Impressions:
A few quick thoughts as I previewed the print and PDF copy
  • It is a big hefty book. It is similar page count to the 5e MM, but feels heftier.
  • Cover Art: I'm a little tired of WAR's style, but I like this cover piece. I think his style works better for monsters than it does for people and I like what I'm seeing. My one complaint is the color is a bit monochromatic / under saturated (and the troll's hands a bit over-sized).
  • PDF: Nice bookmarks, but no hyperlinks (bit of a disappointment). But it is extra nice you can get a legal PDF!
  • Format/Layout: I like the general format of the stat block; however, because it takes up about 2/3 of the page width, there a lot of instances of the art work encroaching on the stat block. I don't like this and it was a big factor in why I didn't spring for the print version. The like the extra width of the stat block with room for notes, but I would rather the image find a location other than in the stat block. There are some other oddities (demon "lord" not located with the demons; green dragon spell casting side bar on the blue dragon stat page), but in general it works. The index, glossary, traits, and monsters by level sections are all useful. I do wish there was list of monsters by type though. (EDIT: there is section of creatures by type, but it is less a list and more a paragraph of each type with the monsters jammed in. Not the most useful presentation, but it is there). I also don't like that several monsters have stat blocks that needlessly* bleed onto a 2nd page. That is really annoying to me.
*It is needless because the stat block is small enough to fit on one page, but the way the page is formatted cause the stat block to extend onto a 2nd page.
Final Impressions:
Not yet - I just started!

EDIT: There was some confusion about how / why I rate things, so I have tried to clarify things with a little update to the OP.

EDIT 2: It was pointed out to me that I missed some of trait modifiers in my review. As such I will be looking over the A's again before I start the Bs. Adjusting any ratings as needed.

EDIT 3: I have also decided to change the ranks from 0-4 (instead of 0-2) to give me a bit more flexibility. I am updating scores as I go through the As. I have also provided a Table of Contents with hyperlinks to the review.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Q:
More to come!
R:
More to come!
S:
More to come!
T:
More to come!
U:
More to come!
V:
More to come!
W:
More to come!
X:
More to come!
Y:
More to come!
Z:
More to come!

Table of Contents

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Almost done with the As (should finish them up this weekend) and I am realizing this project is going to take me about 8-9 months! So I guess we will have a party in April! When does the Bestiary 2 come out again?!

Remove ads