Pathfinder 2E PF2e Bestiary: Let's Read and Review!

dave2008

Legend
FYI, before I head to the B's I am going to look over the A's again and pay a bit more attention to the trait keywords. It was pointed out that I missed the "Agile" trait on some attacks which change how it would be used.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well the other choice was a huge wall of text. That, IMO, was worse.
A huge wall of text wouldn't be an improvement from an "reply perspective" so...

(One topic per post is really required if I'm gonna reply properly since deleting huge chunks of text is such a pain on mobile. I am not saying this would be practical in this case. You did not even mention it as an alternative at all however, so here we are )

dave2008

Legend
(One topic per post is really required if I'm gonna reply properly since deleting huge chunks of text is such a pain on mobile. I am not saying this would be practical in this case. You did not even mention it as an alternative at all however, so here we are )
Ya, I agree that would be best from a responder perspective. I initially rejected it because I wasn't interested in creating an index the linked to 400+/- different reviews. That was really cumbersome on the old site. However, that might not be so bad with the new site as it is really easy to link to another post. I may consider making that change moving forward.

dave2008

Legend

I've looked into this idea a little and I think I will transition this direction. I think it will actually be easier in the long run. I will just link the individual post to the table of contents in the OP.

dave2008

Legend
Aeon, Arbiter
Art: 3, the art is good, but it doesn't match the description / stats (shortsword)
Stats/Mechanics: 3, It has one trick move and some spells for added depth/complexity as needed. A nice little level 1 creature.
Lore: 1, the Aeons in general get some descent lore, but the Arbiter only gets 3 sentences. Nothing there to make me want to use them.
Final Score: 2/4

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Aeon, Axiomite
Art: 1, the art is not good IMO. The loose painterly style is not something a particularly like in a bestiary book (I will unfortunately make that comment quite a bit). I would also like to see a representation of its natural form.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, nothing special. I appreciate the fist attack is agile, but I would really like it do something more (like a grapple on a hit or cost lest actions or be used in a reaction)
Lore: 3, the Axiomite gets a good bit of lore (3 paragraphs) with some potential hooks in there.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Aeon, Kolyarut
Art: 2, the art is pretty good but seems a bit out of focus almost (stylistically). It also commits the sin of not matching the description/stats (bastard sword).
Stats/Mechanics: 2, nothing special. Similar comments to the Axiomite, but at level 10 I expect more options. I also wish it had more than just skills and spells to achieve its diplomatic mission (something special), but it does have the tools it needs to fulfill that mission.
Lore: 2, the Kolyarut only gets one paragraph, but it is packed with interesting and useful information.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Aeon, Pleroma
Art: 3, the art is good. I like the crisp clear style, but I expected something a bit more outlandish from the description.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, a pretty standard high level monster; however, it is a bit to reliant on spells and the special abilities are a tad long in the description.
Lore: 2, the Pleroma gets 2 paragraphs that are fairy interesting, but not a lot to grab onto IMO. I would like a little more from a level 20 monster.
Final Score: 2/6

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
OK, I have updated the OP once again. I have changed the ranking system to be 0-4 (from 0-2) and the final score is now an average of he three category scores (instead of just adding them together). I have also added the reviews directly to the comments section with links in the ToC (posts #2 - #5.

dave2008

Legend
Alghollthu, Skum (Ulat-Kini)
Art: 3, the art is good, but I wish it wasn't partially cut of by the page edge
Stats/Mechanics: 3, a nice variety of options for a low level creature.
Lore: 3, a good bit of lore for a low level mook and enough there to find a hook or two.
Final Score: 3/4

Last edited:

Remove ads