• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

PF2e Bestiary: Let's Read and Review!

dave2008

Adventurer
I am planning to read and review the PF2e Bestiary monster by monster. I plan to rank each monster in three categories from 0 (don't like), 1(OK), & 2 (good). The categories are: Art; Stats/Mechanics; Lore. So the minimum score is 0 and the max score is 6. Is that something you would be interested in?

FYI: by my ranking:
A total score of 0-1 = bad
A total score of 2-4 = average
A total score of 5-6 - good

I love monster books and though I don't think I will be playing PF2e (and I didn't play PF1e) I always like to get another monster book. Heck 75% of the reason I purchased 5e adventures was for the new monsters! Anyway, I finally got to see the PF2e Bestiary in person yesterday and decided I didn't want to purchase the hard copy (more on that below), but I will pick the PDF for this review.

Also, in the list below, if the letter in front of the spoiler tag is red and a larger font, that indicates that letter has at least some completed reviews. Letters with no review yet are gray.

First Impressions:
A few quick thoughts as I previewed the print and PDF copy
  • It is a big hefty book. It is similar page count to the 5e MM, but feels heftier.
  • Cover Art: I'm a little tired of WAR's style, but I like this cover piece. I think his style works better for monsters than it does for people and I like what I'm seeing. My one complaint is the color is a bit monochromatic / under saturated (and the troll's hands a bit over-sized).
  • PDF: Nice bookmarks, but no hyperlinks (bit of a disappointment). But it is extra nice you can get a legal PDF!
  • Format/Layout: I like the general format of the stat block; however, because it takes up about 2/3 of the page width, there a lot of instances of the art work encroaching on the stat block. I don't like this and it was a big factor in why I didn't spring for the print version. The like the extra width of the stat block with room for notes, but I would rather the image find a location other than in the stat block. There are some other oddities (demon "lord" not located with the demons; green dragon spell casting side bar on the blue dragon stat page), but in general it works. The index, glossary, traits, and monsters by level sections are all useful. I do wish there was list of monsters by type though. I also don't like that several monsters have stat blocks that needlessly* bleed onto a 2nd page. That is really annoying to me.
*It is needless because the stat block is small enough to fit on one page, but the way the page is formatted cause the stat block to extend onto a 2nd page.
Why I am not buying the print edition:
There a few reasons (in no particular order):
  • I am not going to be playing PF2e anytime soon so i didn't want to invest the extra money.
  • A quick look through the documents and I didn't like some of the organization. This is more important to me in print product than it is in a PDF.
  • A quick look through and I didn't like some of the art (really import to me for a print book)
  • I didn't like some of the formatting (specifically how the text wraps around some images), which is also important to me in a print product.
Now, all of that being said, some of my misgivings may change after I review the PDF in full and I may end up changing my mind!

Last edited:

dave2008

Adventurer
A:
Aeon, Arbiter
Art: 1, the art is good, but it doesn't match the description / stats (shortsword)
Stats/Mechanics: 1, nothing special, but it is simple level 1 critter. It has one trick move and some spells for added depth/complexity as needed.
Lore: 0, the Aeon in general get some descent lore, but the Arbiter only gets 2 sentences. Nothing there to make me want to use them.
Final Score: 2/6
Aeon, Axiomite
Art: 0, the art is IMHO not good. It is rather flat and looks amateurish. I would also see some representation of its natural form.
Stats/Mechanics: 1, nothing special. Similar comments to the Aeon, but at level 10. It's fist attack it take is basically useless. If you want to include it, I suggest making it do something special (like a grapple on a hit or cost lest actions or be used in a reaction)
Lore: 2, the Axiomite gets a good bit of lore (3 paragraphs) with some potential hooks in there.
Final Score: 3/6
Aeon, Kolyarut
Art: 1, the art is pretty good but seems a bit out of focus almost (stylistically). It also commits the sin of not matching the description/stats (bastard sword).
Stats/Mechanics: 0, nothing special. Similar comments to the Aeon, but at level 10. It's fist attack it take is basically useless. If you want to include it, I suggest making it do something special (like a grapple on a hit or cost lest actions or be used in a reaction)
Lore: 1, the Kolyarut only gets one paragraph, but it is packed with interesting and useful information.
Aeon, Pleroma
Art: 1, the art is decent, but I expected something a bit more outlandish from the description.
Stats/Mechanics: 1, a pretty standard high level monster; however, it is a bit to reliant on spells and the special abilities are a tad long in the description.
Lore: 1, the Pleroma gets 2 paragraphs that are fairy interesting, but not a lot to grabe onto IMO. Again I expect more from a level 20 monster.
Alghollthu, Skum (Ulat-Kini)
Art: 1, the art is good, but I wish it wasn't partially cut of by the page edge
Stats/Mechanics: 1, a nice variety of options for a low level creature, but there is no real reason to use anything but fangs attack for melee.
Lore: 1, a good bit of lore for a low level mook and enough there to find a hook or two.
Alghollthu, Faceless Stalker (Ugothol)
Art: 1, the art is good, but the most interesting feature, its bloodsucking tongue, is not shown.
Stats/Mechanics: 1, a nice variety of options and I really wanted to give it a 2, but the fact that its most interesting attack relies on a condition it doesn't have a special ability to impose (restrained or unconscious) is a no-no for me.
Lore: 2, three sizable paragraphs of interesting info.
Final Score: 4/6
Alghollthu, Alghollthu Master (Aboleth)
Art: 1, the art is technically good, but I just don't like the design.
Stats/Mechanics: 0, I might be a bit harsh on this one, but I can't help but compare it to the 5e aboleth which is much more interesting
Lore: 1, one large paragraph with decent information, but a bit light for this significant of a creature.
Alghollthu, Vield Master (Vidileth)
Art: 1, the art is technically good, but I just don't like the design.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, lots of interesting things to do with this beastie.
Lore: 1, one (maybe two) large paragraph(S) with decent information, but I would like a bit more for this significant level of monster.
Angel, Cassisian (Archive Angel)
Art: 0, the art is technically good, but the design / concept is terrible - a flying helmet, really?
Stats/Mechanics: 2, lots of interesting things to do for a level 1 creature.
Lore: 0, one small paragraph and it describes the angels as "lackey messengers." Not good IMO.
Angel, Choral (Choir Angel)
Art: 1, I don't particularly like the style (or the short hair cut), but it technically pretty good and angelic.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, lots of interesting things to do and synergy with additional choral angels. Great entry for a level 6 creature.
Lore: 1, another one paragraph entry. There is some good information in there, but I just want more. This could be a 0 for some.
Angel, Balisse (Confessor Angel)
Art: 1, I don't particularly like the piece, but it works and is well done. However, no flaming scimitar.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, some interesting things to do here (brand of impenitent is good IMO), however. I am not really familiar with PF2e balance yet and the melee damage seems low for level 8 creature. But I am not ready to knock it for that yet.
Lore: 0, another one paragraph entry. For a level 8 creature this is just not enough for me. I also don't like that it mentions their "guardian angel ability" and there is no other reference in the lore or stat block to describe what this ability is/does. Perhaps it is just a generic reference, but for PF it stands out as a miss.
Angel, Astral Deva (Emissary Angel)
Art: 2, checks all the boxes: matches the lore, the stat block, technically good, and damn it looks angelic.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, lots of good things to do. Interesting options/abilities beyond a spell list are a must and the astral deva has them. This is what a level 14 monster should look like.
Lore: 1, a fairly good 2 paragraph entry. However, it seems a bit generic. I would like to see more for such a prominent member of the celestial choir.
Final Score: 5/6
Animated Broom
Art: 1, acceptable, but odd choice for a gnarly broom stick.
Stats/Mechanics: 1, this is a -1 level creature and the stats let you know it. The "dust" effect is somewhat interesting, but I personally find it annoying and probably wouldn't use it.
Lore: 0, one small paragraph with nothing much to say.
Animated Armor
Art: 0, no art = no score!
Stats/Mechanics: 1, a simple, strait forward stat block. Though again, it is a wasted opportunity (IMO) that the gauntlet attack doesn't do any other than damage. No reason to use it in place of the glaive.
Lore: 1, this ratings is border line 0. It is just one small paragraph, but I do think it manages to provide a few hooks.
Animated Statue
Art: 0, no art = no score!
Stats/Mechanics: 0, almost identical to the animated armor - nothing new or interesting here.
Lore: 0, almost identical to the animated armor - nothing new or interesting here.
Final Score: 0/6
Animated Giant Statue
Art: 1, fairly good art with good dynamic action; however, the render is a little "painterly" for my taste and the scale and equipment don't match the stat block.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, the stat bock is simple and fairly short, but has interesting options and effects. Also, nice to have melee and ranged options.
Lore: 0, one small paragraph with not much to say; however, it does bring up the issue of when to animate and when to go golem!
Ankhrav
Art: 2, technically very good, covers what is in the text and looks very threatening.
Stats/Mechanics: 2, lots of interesting bits for a level 3 monster: melee, ranged, and area attack options with an armor rending bite thrown if for extra scariness. I can see these being an interesting battle for a group of adventurers.
Lore: 1, one small paragraph, but it does give you a strong hook to why a group might have to deal with them.
Final Score: 5/6
Hive Mother
Art: 0, no art = no score! I am disappointed there is no visual representation of how hive mothers differ from the rank and file.
Stats/Mechanics: 1, almost a complete reprint of the Ankhrav with just one new ability that affects other Ankhavs and no mechanics for the "mantis-like" arms mentioned in the lore. This is borderline 0 too.
Lore: 0, one small paragraph that is really just a description with nothing else interesting to say.
Final Score: 1/6
B:
More to come!
C:
More to come!
D:
More to come!

Last edited:

dave2008

Adventurer
E:
More to come!