• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PHBII preview: The Wild Magic Sorcerer

Citan

First Post
Hi there,

as I managed to get a copy of PHB II here in Germany, I wrote a little preview of my favorite class from that book, including some higher level powers and info on the Wild Mage paragon path. Feel free to pay a visit :)

citan82.livejournal.com

Nebulous

Legend
My idea of the wild mage is that their powers could get out of control and backfire with undesired results...but i get the impression that the 4e wild mage does not do this. It just has random, beneficial results.

Citan

First Post
Hi Nebulous,

on a natural 1 on an attack roll, the wild sorcerers class feature "unfettered power" forces you to push all creatures within 5 squares of you 1 square - imagine it as a kind of raw arcane energy gone awry.
The wild mage paragon path has a couple of alternative things that happen when you roll a 1, including you swapping places with the target, the attack hitting automatically or stunning both you and the target.

I understand you point though, since the sorcerer's powers themselves do not impose any negative effects (although you could count not getting the extra effect of certain powers when you don't roll an even number a negative effect). There is also a power from the wild mage path that lets you exclude 1D4 targets from a damaging area attack.

chaotix42

First Post
Hey Citan, thanks for the preview! The Wildmage PP sounds really cool - I was planning on playing a dragonborn sorcerer next, but I might change my mind now. I love random yet universally beneficial effects!

Shroomy

Adventurer
My idea of the wild mage is that their powers could get out of control and backfire with undesired results...but i get the impression that the 4e wild mage does not do this. It just has random, beneficial results.

Do the wild mage powers largely target creatures or enemies? If they target creatures, boy, things could get out of control really fast if you're not careful. For example, I still think that if you get on a roll, chaos bolt could end up hitting your allies, especially if they are not a lot of enemies in the battle.

I wrote this for third edition:

16531.gif

It warms my heart to see the wild mage in 4th edition.

Citan

First Post
Never though about it, but Chaos Bolt really targets "One creature" and if no enemy is within 5 squares of the first target, you end up hitting allies instead. That's really nice :)

Shroomy

Adventurer
Never though about it, but Chaos Bolt really targets "One creature" and if no enemy is within 5 squares of the first target, you end up hitting allies instead. That's really nice :)

That's how I read it, however, when I had this discussion on another board, others said they would rule that you're never forced to take the secondary attack if you don't want to. That's fair, I guess, but seems to me to be against the spirit of the power.

Remove ads