• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Picture of the Week: Canyon of Chaos

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
97180.jpg

comments welcome

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I agree: one of my all-time favorites.

Much as I love a lot of the modern art in D&D, very little of it transports me back to the wonder I felt when I first started playing. The nostalgia evoked by this one does it, though.

I'll say this, also: I'll never run B2 again without a full-color full-sheet copy of this piece on-hand.

Wik

First Post
My favourite wotc-era piece. My only complaint would be the characters - they still have that WAR style to them, while I'd prefer a more "realistic" look. But the landscape is just one of those sense of wonder pics that really blows your mind.

Too much wotc art is just some random character flexing for the camera. Or beating up a monster on a white background.

Hussar

Legend
Wik, I imagine that the WAR styling would have come from the art direction at WOTC since they are including the stock PHB characters. At least it backs way far back from the whole Dungeon punk thing.

Late era 3e had some absolutely stunning books come out. This one and a number of images from Tome of Magic are some of my favourite D&D pieces of all time.

It would be fun to see a sort of collage of how the art has evolved in the game, from Trampier and Otus in the early days to Elmore and then Brom then WAR and others like Michael Komarc and Raven Mimura in 3e. ((And no slights were meant by missing some big names in that list - just picking names that came to mind. Yeah, I know there are LOTS of big names))

Remove ads