• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Piecing together the official maps of the Mortal World of Nerath

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The equator should evidence dense rainforests, such as the Congos in Africa.

8080475_orig.png

NASA vegetation map
GVF-WKL-GLB.png

The equator should evidence dense rainforests, such as the Congos in Africa.

I would say "could evince" dense rainforests.
I was trying to keep the map as big as feasible, so as to minimize any blank spots.
And with only the bare minimum of interpretative revisions. The top of that map simply cannot be the north pole, due to projection issues. Whereas there could be a fantasy world where the equator is a desert zone.

However, in your revision, the bottom of the boardgame map might be at 10 or 20 degrees north.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I would say "could evince" dense rainforests.
I was trying to keep the map as big as feasible, so as to minimize any blank spots.
And with only the bare minimum of interpretative revisions. The top of that map simply cannot be the north pole, due to projection issues. Whereas there could be a fantasy world where the equator is a desert zone.

However, in your revision, the bottom of the boardgame map might be at 10 or 20 degrees north.
Yeah, the rainforests look like they are starting to happen, but not yet an equatorial belt. Arid deserts are a distance north of the equator. So, the Mortal World map seems to have its equator still to the south off the edge of the map.

The southern edge being about 10° to 20° latitude looks about right. Probably either number can be made to work, depending on what else is beyond the map.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It might even be, the southern edge of the Mortal map is something like the Tropic of Cancer, judging by the deserts.

I would say, 20° latitude is the southern edge.

Do the 4e maps have a consistent distance scale, so as to calculate the size of the planet? If we know the distance and the degrees, then we know the size of the planetary sphere.

Last edited:

It might even be, the southern edge of the Mortal map is something like the Tropic of Cancer, judging by the deserts.

I would say, 20° latitude is the southern edge.
Reasonable, yet if going with the Tropic of Cancer, then might as well also go with the Arctic Circle as well...though that is less fitting.

An equanimous pair of offsets would be a 10 degree margin north and south.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Reasonable, yet if going with the Tropic of Cancer, then might as well also go with the Arctic Circle as well...though that is less fitting.

An equanimous pair of offsets would be a 10 degree margin north and south.
That is probably a good call: Arctic Circle to Tropic of Cancer, but round numbers.

So the northern edge is about 70° and the southern about 20°?

I suspect this might match up better with the map distances.

Well, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with those numbers, just offering some options for your own conception.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Well, I don't necessarily agree with those numbers, just offering some options for your own conception.
The more I look at the Mortal geography, the more solid 20 thru 70 feels. Something like Mexico to Norway, parts of Greenland, the Sahara to Alaska, and also parts of India, with patches of rainforests here and there.

So the map of the Mortal World is more like a continent, but likely parts of two continents.

20 to 70 is solid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads