• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Piecing together the official maps of the Mortal World of Nerath

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Sure. It's in Dungeon 171, the Dungeoncraft article named "The D&D World".
Nice.

So, Perkins describes how he develops his hombrew Iomandra setting, as he himself shifts from 3e to 4e. He incorporates "as many core world" ideas as possible.

• Arkhosia: dragonborn empire
• Bael Turath: tiefling kingdom
• Nareth: human Bael Nareth parallels tiefling Bael Turath
• Cendriane: fey eladrin refuge
• Gar Morra: dwarf stronghole

These are 4e core locations.

Notably, where Arkhosia is a long-gone extinct empire in 4e, Iomandra takes place during an earlier period when this dragonborn empire is still flourishing before its extinction. In the same time frame, Bael Nareth is an ancestor to the later Nareth Empire.

Iomandra functions as the 4e core setting during a very ancient historical period.

There is uncertainty about locations. Altho everyone in 4e knows that tieflings come from the ancient kingdom of Bael Turath, it isnt clear to me where exactly the land of this kingdom is now in relationship to the large Mortal map. Similarly, where is the land of the dragonborn empire of Arkhosia? Meanwhile, ancient Bael Nareth and its later Nareth Empire need not be the same place. (Compare how Turkmenistan is located elsewhere from Turkey. Syria is elsewhere from Tyre in Lebanon. Etcetera.)

The point is, nothing precludes further development of the Iomandra setting that actually makes it on the same planet as the 4e Mortal map. Notably, the location of Nentir Vale which is central to Nareth, is absent from Bael Nareth and the region of islands. This suggests that Nareth itself is elsewhere in Iomandra, not shown on the regional map of islands.

The reason for the speculation is, 5e is now dropping hints about a draconic "First World" that seems to somehow relate with the "Dawn War". Hypothetically, the 5e designers are planning to make the 4e core setting the First World setting, from which all other settings radiate. There is new interest in what the planet of the First World looks like. The 4e Mortal map, and possibly ideas from Iomandra and maybe even the islands themselves that specify the locations of Arkhosia and Bael Turath, might both become part of a future First World setting.

Haplo781

Legend
Nice.

So, Perkins describes how he develops his hombrew Iomandra setting, as he himself shifts from 3e to 4e. He incorporates "as many core world" ideas as possible.

• Arkhosia: dragonborn empire
• Bael Turath: tiefling kingdom
• Nareth: human Bael Nareth parallels tiefling Bael Turath
• Cendriane: fey eladrin refuge
• Gar Morra: dwarf stronghole

These are 4e core locations.

Notably, where Arkhosia is a long-gone extinct empire in 4e, Iomandra takes place during an earlier period when this dragonborn empire is still flourishing before its extinction. In the same time frame, Bael Nareth is an ancestor to the later Nareth Empire.

Iomandra functions as the 4e core setting during a very ancient historical period.

There is uncertainty about locations. Altho everyone in 4e knows that tieflings come from the ancient kingdom of Bael Turath, it isnt clear to me where exactly the land of this kingdom is now in relationship to the large Mortal map. Similarly, where is the land of the dragonborn empire of Arkhosia? Meanwhile, ancient Bael Nareth and its later Nareth Empire need not be the same place. (Compare how Turkmenistan is located elsewhere from Turkey. Syria is elsewhere from Tyre in Lebanon. Etcetera.)

The point is, nothing precludes further development of the Iomandra setting that actually makes it on the same planet as the 4e Mortal map. Notably, the location of Nentir Vale which is central to Nareth, is absent from Bael Nareth and the region of islands. This suggests that Nareth itself is elsewhere in Iomandra, not shown on the regional map of islands.

The reason for the speculation is, 5e is now dropping hints about a draconic "First World" that seems to somehow relate with the "Dawn War". Hypothetically, the 5e designers are planning to make the 4e core setting the First World setting, from which all other settings radiate. There is new interest in what the planet of the First World looks like. The 4e Mortal map, and possibly ideas from Iomandra and maybe even the islands themselves that specify the locations of Arkhosia and Bael Turath, might both become part of a future First World setting.
Iomandra's Arkhosia is an island chain.

Nentir Vale's Arkhosia spanned a continent.

These are not compatible pieces of lore.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
I was going to say the same. While it is an interesting theory, and can work in your version of Iomandra/Nentir Vale, there are a few inconsistencies if we are to use those settings as written. Or well, "written", in the case of Nentir Vale.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Iomandra's Arkhosia is an island chain.

Nentir Vale's Arkhosia spanned a continent.

These are not compatible pieces of lore.
The EMPIRE of Arkhosia spanned a continent. It includes many conquered lands.

Arkhosia itself is different.

Contrast "Rome" versus "Roman Empire".

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I was going to say the same. While it is an interesting theory, and can work in your version of Iomandra/Nentir Vale, there are a few inconsistencies if we are to use those settings as written. Or well, "written", in the case of Nentir Vale.
I am curious about this.

Cite the texts than seem inconsistent to you. I am interested in look at these closely.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
You're cherry picking information to fit your conclusion.
I am not exactly forming a conclusion.

I am saying that the 4e setting might become the 5e First World setting.

Perkins is one of the creators of the 4e setting and probably will be of the First World setting.

Meanwhile, Perkins is also the creator of Iomandra, and ideas that he formed there about the 4e setting might find their way into the First World setting too.

So, how compatible Iomandra CAN be with the 4e core setting is of interest.

Haplo781

Legend
I am not exactly forming a conclusion.

I am saying that the 4e setting might become the 5e First World setting.

Perkins is one of the creators of the 4e setting and probably will be of the First World setting.

Meanwhile, Perkins is also the creator of Iomandra, and ideas that he formed there about the 4e setting might find their way into the First World setting too.

So, how compatible Iomandra CAN be with the 4e core setting is of interest.
Iomandra is clearly an alternate take on the Nentir Vale setting. Like the Marvel films are an alternate take on the comics.

Either way, I'm not sure how it's relevant to this particular thread.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Iomandra is clearly an alternate take on the Nentir Vale setting. Like the Marvel films are an alternate take on the comics.
I agree that Perkins originated Iomandra as a variant of the 4e core setting.

At the same, Perkins develops in more depth core setting concepts that the core only mentions in passing.

Potentially Perkins can use some or all of this content in the future to develop the First World setting.

Either way, I'm not sure how it's relevant to this particular thread.
This particular thread seeks out any information about what the planet looks like, that Nerath is on.

If this same planet will become the First World setting, to add further details, it is worth mentioning to be on the look out.

Even tho it is speculative, there are many links between the 5e First World and the 4e Dawn War, including the creation of the material plane, the origin of dragonborn, the rise of Bahamut and Tiamat. Meanwhile, the Dawn War deities according to the 5e DMs Guide are the 4e deities.

Remove ads