• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Piratecat Comics & MnM presents six issues of Code-4: Reunion (updated 4/06)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
The "key" distinction isn't in the power set, but in personality.
I agree with this. Although I'm an avid comic fan and a current addict of the superhero MMO City of Heroes, the similarities between 9-L and Wolverine didn't immediately occur to me. Why? Because their attitudes are completely different. Wolverine is a berzerker who uses his regeneration ability to bolster an aggressive claw-based offense. 9-L on the other hand comes across as mostly resigned. His focus isn't on killing things (like Wolverine), but rather the inevitable fact that he just can't die. The thematic differences between the two characters obscured the significant similarity in their powersets from me for some time.
I think it was a perfectly natural observation
It was. The moment it was brought up, a little lightbulb flashed over my head. "Hey yeah, come to think of it their powers are pretty much the same." It seemed fairly possible that Blackjack might have decided to go with a "Wolverine powerset"...then reimagined what kind of take on those powers he could go with. (Even though Blackjack's since disproven that thought.)

As far as the Omnibot goes, I find myself more interested in Dr. Arkham. I'm wondering what exactly was done to him in the Black Apollo battle. In a long-term campaign it'd be neat to explore the good doctor, though I'm guessing that in a mini-campaign like this one, we'll pretty much stick with the Omnibot and epic villain bashing. Which is certainly no bad thing! :)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
As far as the Omnibot goes, I find myself more interested in Dr. Arkham. I'm wondering what exactly was done to him in the Black Apollo battle.

It couldn't have been good.

In a long-term campaign it'd be neat to explore the good doctor, though I'm guessing that in a mini-campaign like this one, we'll pretty much stick with the Omnibot and epic villain bashing. Which is certainly no bad thing! :)

Yeaaaahhhhh... "Deep, nuanced roleplay" and "Wulf Ratbane" go together like oil and water. Even in a long campaign, you can pretty much count on my sticking to villain bashing.

My 'template' for Dr. Arkham, by the way, is (supposed to be) based on Dr. Farnsworth from Futurama. ;)

Wulf

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Lord Pendragon said:
Because their attitudes are completely different. Wolverine is a berzerker who uses his regeneration ability to bolster an aggressive claw-based offense. 9-L on the other hand comes across as mostly resigned. His focus isn't on killing things (like Wolverine), but rather the inevitable fact that he just can't die.

This was my experience too - I also didn't notice the similarity because of the distinctly different attitudes that we've seen so far in the story.

Cheers

BSF

Explorer
Must be my Champions background because some of the first things I thought of were things like "Brick - kinda like the Thing". I could see some similarities to 9L and Wolverine, but it was pretty apparent very quickly that the two characters were very different.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Yeaaaahhhhh... "Deep, nuanced roleplay" and "Wulf Ratbane" go together like oil and water. Even in a long campaign, you can pretty much count on my sticking to villain bashing.
You say that, but being a huge fan of your Story Hour it's hard to swallow, you know. Your SH was all about character interaction. ;)
My 'template' for Dr. Arkham, by the way, is (supposed to be) based on Dr. Farnsworth from Futurama. ;)
Oh man! Thanks for revealing this. My envisioning of the Omnibot will never be the same. :p

d'Anconia

Explorer
Any chance we could see a rogue's gallery thread for these guys? I'd love to see the stats for the Omnibot in particular.

Between this thread and the new Incredibles DVD, I was convinced to take a look at MNM. All I can say is wow - one of the coolest products out there. I just ordered the core rulebook, Crooks, the annual, and Foes of Freedom from Amazon. Seemed like Freedom City was sold out - anyone know where to get it? Also, what other products out there are quality? I saw all the pdf's that were the MNM superlink products, but I wasn't sure which ones were the good ones.

Thanks for the inspiration!
John

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Freedom City is superb, John; track it down if you can find a copy. I'll probably review some of the MnM superlink pdfs at this point as well, although I don't have time right now (yay, EN world review section!) You can also get good advice on these at Green Ronin's Atomic Think Tank MnM message boards. (www.mutantsandmasterminds.com) That's also the site where you can find errata.

I'll definitely post a Rogue's Gallery of everyone's stats. We've got art for most folks, as well.

I hope no one minds, but at some point I'll trim away most of the Wolverine/hero similarity digression. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
AGONY'S GAMBIT: Issue 1, Chapter 9

WNTW Channel 3 Studios
Midtown, Freedom City

“Look at that.” The Omnibot tapped a television monitor with his telescoping prod. “She walked into the lobby downstairs and people just keeled over. You can actually see the cloud of vapor coming off of her.”

Nine Lives nodded. “Everyone survived except for the two anchormen. I think she wanted to make a point.”

"What are those hooded things entering with her? They're moving unnaturally." On the video, the small cloaked shapes moved like lurching penguins, wobbling back and forth every time they took a step.

"I have no idea. They apparently accompanied her in and guarded the studio workers, never saying a word."

“We think her real name is Aggie Caufield,” said Agent Morrison. “Does that name sound familiar?”

“Vaguely.” Nine Lives frowned, his forehead wrinkling his black mask. He turned to look at Morrison. “Fan Club?”

The AEGIS agent nodded. “Fan club. In particular, the former president of your fan club. She’s obsessed, one year out of high school, apparently a whiz in chemistry, and currently missing. I’ve got to say, it looks like a match.”

“Hopefully it won’t be hard to find her before tomorrow night.”

Across the studio, the Eternal Sentinel slowly rotated as he hovered in mid-air. His nostrils flared as he memorized the stink of Agony’s poison. “I’ve got her scent. I’ll know her if I cross her path. There also seems to be something interesting jammed into the cushion of the chair she was sitting on.” The Sentinel gestured and a thin beam of light shone across the room to spotlight the clue. Then he looked back at Nine Lives. “It’s a blank, acid-scarred membership card for your fan club.”

9-L thumped the heel of his hand into his forehead. “Restraining orders don’t go as far as they used to.”

Boulder plodded over, lifted the entire desk with one hand, and plucked out the card. A crime scene technician quickly took it from him. Suddenly a petite Asian woman was standing in front of the massive concrete superhero. Using Boulder as a backdrop, the woman turned to speak directly into a mobile camera.

“Good evening. I’m Amy Feng with Channel 3 News. We’re here at Channel 3 News studios in Midtown with an exclusive report on the super-powered massacre that killed two WNTW anchormen less than an hour ago. There are several meta-humans here at the crime scene right now. At this point it is not known whether they are under arrest, or how precisely they are involved in this crime scene investigation. Behind me is alleged mobster Antonio Valenti, previously revealed by this reporter to be a known felon with a criminal history who has changed his appearance to hide under the alias ‘Boulder.’”

Amy Feng turned and shoved a microphone upwards towards Boulder’s mouth. She had to extend her arm completely. “Mr. Valenti, would you like to confess exactly how you were you involved in this crime?”

Boulder extended one massive forefinger and poked it towards the small woman’s face. His voice was cavernous. “I got no comment for ya.”

“Are you here as a suspect? Is it true that you have no formal law enforcement credentials? Do you know this so-called ‘Agony’ who committed the murders here?”

“No. Comment. Get that thing outta my face.”

“What sort of illegal activities are you currently involved in?”

Boulder looked Amy Feng up and down, as if measuring her for a coffin. “None at the moment. But that might just change.” His tone was ominous.

“Indeed,” said Amy Feng to the camera, and fearlessly moved away from Boulder. “Now we go to the man who Agony claimed to be her fiancé. Nine Lives, do you have just a minute for our viewers?”

Nine Lives turned away from his conversation with the Omnibot and moved in front of the camera. “I sure do, Amy. It’s nice to see you safe. Although this is a tragic situation, I’m glad that more people weren’t killed in the attack.”

Although it’s hard to tell in the harsh glare of the television lights, Amy Feng might have blushed slightly. “Do you know this ‘Agony’ woman?”

“I do not, Amy. As far as I can tell it’s no one I’ve directly met before, although we’re chasing down leads on that right now. Having public heroes is fine, but this might be a classic – and tragic – example of what happens when appreciation turns into obsession.” Nine Lives’ voice was somber.

“Our sources indicate that she might be linked to your international fan club. Can you confirm that?”

“It’s really too soon to say.”

“How are you planning on handling her demands?”

“I’m afraid I can’t comment on that yet. All I can say is that we’re on the scene and eager to resolve the problem so that no one – no one – else gets hurt.”

“Have you taken charge of the investigation?”

“We may be investigating the problem as an adjunct to the FCPD, but it’s really the boys in blue who do the hard work. They’re the ones who deserve all of our esteem.” His voice was sincere and respectful.

“Thank you, Nine Lives. I see that you have other superheroes and vigilantes here with you today, some of whom were members of the famous group Code-4. Is this the beginning of a new team, or the rebirth of the old one?”

Nine Lives gave her a charming smile. “Sorry, Amy. No comment.”

Amy turned to the Omnibot V. Without looking the least bit fazed, she held the microphone up to his external speaker. “Here we have what appears to be an intelligent robot. Would you please ident—”

In the middle of her sentence, the Omnibot completely withdrew all of its appendages. Legs, speakers, sensors. . . all snapped instantly into the main body, leaving a featureless black globe that clanged onto the studio floor and sat unmoving. Amy stared at it for a few seconds in surprise for smoothly transitioning on to the next hero.

“And who are you?”

“I’m Wave.” She stretched slightly, arching her back as she hovered in place. Thousands of Channel 3 News viewers across the eastern seaboard fell unexpectedly in love.

“What’s your involvement with Nine Lives?”

Wave looked at the reporter with disdain. “I just want to say that you’re a really horrible person. You’re using these peoples’ death as a chance for shameless self-promotion. You’re trying to advance your career because your friends died, and for that you ought to be embarrassed.”

Amy Feng’s eyes narrowed ever-so-slightly in anger. “I see. So you’re not denying that you and Nine Lives are involved? Were the murders this evening motivated by jealousy for you?”

“Oh, please.” Wave blew air out from her lower lip, sending strands of her golden hair flying. “Get a spine. Or some ethics. I don’t care which.” Rudely she turned her back and surfed over to the other side of the studio. The camera indulgently followed her retreating form until Amy Feng cleared her voice and distracted the cameraman from his reverie. They turned to interview the Reformer.

The Eternal Sentinel watched this with growing concern. This is a public relations disaster, he thought. Someone’s got to do something! He dropped to the ground and strolled in that direction just as Amy Feng began to turn to the Reformer. The Sentinel threw his head back and opened his mouth slightly. “Ah. . .” His body began to glow. “Ah. . .” Roiling light coruscated up and down his torso, and the camera turned to film whatever was happening to him. “Choo!” As he sneezed, blinding radiance flashed from his form and enveloped everyone nearby in a luminous halo.

FZZZAP!

Amy Feng and her cameraman paused for a minute, eyes blinking after the sudden brightness. “I’m tremendously sorry about that,” the Sentinel apologized. “I think it’s the residual poison in the air.” Amy Feng nodded at him before finishing her interviews. With one more venomous glance towards Boulder and Wave, she and her camera crew headed out of the studio.

“What was that?” whispered the Reformer.

“Electronic dazzle,” whispered the Eternal Sentinel back. “They were taping, not live, and I just disrupted their camera. If there’s anything on that film but static, I’ll be amazed.”

The Reformer grinned widely. “You can do that? Nice.” The Sentinel winked and stroked his short gray beard.

Agent Morrison walked over. “I think we’ve got everything from here that we need. Are the interviews over?” He glanced at Wave and frowned in a preoccupied manner.

“I’d say so,” said the Reformer. The other heroes gathered around them.

“Let’s go,” said the Eternal Sentinel. “There’s not much time, and a lot of work to do.”

Please flip page to continue.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
AGONY'S GAMBIT: Issue 1, Chapter 10

AEGIS Headquarters
Midtown, Freedom City

“She said that thousands of people were going to die. Where could she do that?”

“The possibilities are endless. Malls, apartment blocks, the transit system. There’s no hockey game tonight due to the strike, but the Rayguns are playing the Chicago Bulls over at the Shuster Arena tonight, and U-2 has sold out the Liberty Bowl.”

The Omnibot swiveled his sensor. “Who is U2?” He looked at the Eternal Sentinel, who shrugged.

“Hang on,” the Sentinel said, frowning. “I’m sure I heard Agony humming something when the broadcast first began. Agent Morrison, could you please have the technicians play that back amplified?”

“Sure,” Morrison said. “They’ll need to digitally enhance it as well. . .” He spoke into his earpiece and paused. “Check! She was humming the tune to ‘Pride (in the name of love)’. Definitely a U2 song.”

“The woman has no taste in music,” said Wave. Nine Lives laughed.

“How many people can the Liberty Dome hold?”

The Reformer’s voice was hoarse. “It’s an arena. Eighty thousand normally, but they’ll have some sections restricted. The concert is sold out. Call it about sixty to seventy thousand, from all over the northeast.”

“That’s the target, all right.” Nine Lives shook his head. “Do we call off the concert?”

“We can’t,” said the Reformer, “at least not in advance. If we do, she just sets off her poison somewhere else. We’re better off increasing security there and finding her before the deadline rolls around. With luck we can have her behind bars before the concert even begins.” Everyone else nods. “We can always cancel it at the last minute if we have to.”

“All right, Code-4,” Agent Morrison said. “Department databases are at your disposal. We have less than 24 hours. Let’s find her and shut her down.”

Next Day, Mid-morning

“Ten hours left.” Reformer passed a weary hand over his eyes. “All night, and nothing solid. We know the head of the fan club was a good chemist, but not that good. We’ve been to her house and the school lab and interviewed everyone she knows. Everyone liked her, said she was obsessed with 9-L, and didn’t know where she was. That adds up to a big fat useless zero.”

“Heck,” said Nine Lives, “her best friend even told us that she seemed less fixated on me during the last year.” He seemed to have responded to fatigue by just seeming more awake. “Agent Morrison, any updates on the different lines of investigation we requested?”

“Hang on, there should be one by now.” He murmured into his ear piece, listened for a few minutes, and looked up.

“Okay, we may have a break. We have a couple of leads based on the information you requested. There were two freak deaths at Jordan International Airport five weeks ago. A private jet came in from Seattle; two known pilots, no passengers listed. They set down at the airport, taxied, and then never left the plane. When people checked, both pilots were dead. It’s still unsolved. Poison is suspected.” Code-4 looked at one another.

“No known passengers?”

“No. The plane is still locked up as evidence at the airport. The FCPD is investigating it, and I think one of the kids from NextGen went out to take a look. No leads.”

“Anything else?”

“Boulder asked for a computer search on any industrial chemical companies in the city. We have one anomaly. Kason Chemical over in Hanover is currently shut down while health investigators find out what sort of odor is making people sick. There’s worry that it’s a process leak, but no one has been able to find it yet.”

“Chemical factories closed thanks to some sort of odor making people sick?” Boulder’s inflexible face looked disdainful. “You did check this out, right?”

“We did indeed.” Agent Morrison looked vaguely hurt. “A sweep team went through it. Clean.”

“Well, we’ll check it out anyways,” crackled the Omnibot. “I don’t like the sound of that. How long has it been shut down?”

There was a pause while Morrison checked his notes. “Three weeks.”

The Eternal Sentinel glanced at the robot. “We don’t have much time left, so we should split our forces. Wave, Boulder and I will investigate the airport. You can check the chemical plant with 9-L and Reformer.”

“Does everyone have cell phones?” asked Nine Lives.

“My service got cut off,” said the Reformer. Everyone else shook their heads as well, and Nine Lives rolled his eyes skyward.

“I got a radio,” said Boulder. “Stay in contact.”

“Absolutely,” said the Omnibot. “Let's roll.”

Please flip page to continue.

Last edited:

Remove ads