Piratecat's storyhour reborn! (updated July 4, 2006)

Fimmtiu

First Post
Piratecat said:
It's also worth noting at this point that Orthyss is the campaign's God of Monsters and Twisted Creation; his existence makes abominations possible.

So basically he's the God of XP, then. Remind me why they're not worshipping him? ;)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Fimmtiu said:
Remind me why they're not worshipping him? ;)
Buddy, when the church of Galanna orchestrates their revolution, you are SO going to be the first one against the wall!

Speaking of which, long time readers will soon see why Tao always had such a problem with Arcade's experimentation. Arcade (Bandeeto's PC) was a transmuter who gleefully got into fleshcrafting: bumblefrogs, chitties (half chicken, half cat), and the like. Not that he worshipped Orthyss, mind you. . .

At least, not knowingly.

But y'know, Nolin didn't directly venerate the God of Song, either, but there's at least one church of Ispen who is petitioning to make him a saint. I'm just saying, is all.

Fade

First Post
Piratecat said:
Gnomes. You just couldn’t trust them. Gnomes were too much like squirrels.

What are the similarities between gnomes and squirrels? They're both small and untrustworthy?

Bandeeto

First Post
Speaking of which, long time readers will soon see why Tao always had such a problem with Arcade's experimentation. Arcade (Bandeeto's PC) was a transmuter who gleefully got into fleshcrafting: bumblefrogs, chitties (half chicken, half cat), and the like. Not that he worshipped Orthyss, mind you. . .

At least, not knowingly.

Shocked! I am shocked at the mere insinuation! Transmutation is a noble art, and fleshcrafting is a logical extension of it. The purpose is not to create abominations, but ultimately to meld creatures into more useful forms. The examples you cite were mere harmless experimentation on the road to greater good. Although Tao seemed displeased with my work for some reason, and the local druid kept trying to spy on my workshop, I'm sure that Frike (my very skilled hunchbacked apprentice) and I were in no way violating the laws of nature.

Where would we be without lammasu, pegasi, centaurs, griffons, hippogriffs and the like, I ask you? These magical merged beings could certainly have been created in the distant past, and then reproduced over time and become more natural in the eyes of Galanna as they adapted to the world. I certainly had no intention of ever stooping to owlbears or landsharks, though these beings too have become "natural" over time if unpleasant in the extreme. Abominations? Perhaps, but nothing like the horrid beings the Defenders are about to encounter, as you shall soon hear....

KidCthulhu

First Post
Bandeeto said:
Shocked! I am shocked at the mere insinuation! Transmutation is a noble art, and fleshcrafting is a logical extension of it. The purpose is not to create abominations, but ultimately to meld creatures into more useful forms.

Play god much, Arcade? And let us never ever begin compiling the list of entries in the various monster tomes that begin with the words "Originally a failed wizard's experiment..."

Oh, dear readers of the story hour, if ever you want to waste a few perfectly good hours, you can hear Bandeeto & I put on our Arcade and Nolin hats and do this little riff ad nauseum.

Bandeeto

First Post
KidCthulhu said:
Play god much, Arcade? And let us never ever begin compiling the list of entries in the various monster tomes that begin with the words "Originally a failed wizard's experiment..."

They say the god's assist those who assist themselves, my dear Nolin. Motivation and competency are crucial to the success of all endeavors. Unscrupulous Merlane should be hunted down for their mis-use of these elemental magics. And need I mention I have a paladin of Eris looking over my shoulder? I doubt any evil intent of mine could escape her lovely gaze!

And as for playing god, you and the rest of the DoD have become entirely too embroiled in the machinations of dieties and their whims and agendas to call this kettle black. Of this too the loyal readers of this story hour will surely hear! ;)

Samnell

Explorer
Bandeeto said:
They say the god's assist those who assist themselves, my dear Nolin. Motivation and competency are crucial to the success of all endeavors. Unscrupulous Merlane should be hunted down for their mis-use of these elemental magics. And need I mention I have a paladin of Eris looking over my shoulder? I doubt any evil intent of mine could escape her lovely gaze!

I think Arcade just became my favorite character.

justinsluder

First Post
Greetings o'Great and Mighty Piratecat. I know it's out there somewhere, because I've spent 3 hours looking for it, but would you please post the prestige class which Nolin had? I will then, with your permission, place it in a section on my personal website for the world to see. I'll go back and find story bits to add as a flavor description.

Thank you for the wonderful story.
Justin

Remove ads