Pirate's Guide to Freeport -- Impressions?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Anyone who's looked at the pdf: I'd be interested in learning more about the bigger campaign setting included in the book (which covers 'the continent', the backstory regarding Yig, etc.).
Thanks. :)

As for being stat-free, that's a plus for me. If I get this thing, I'll probably use it with Rolemaster Express.

talien

Community Supporter
Nightfall said:
Regardless it's Freeport and it's good! :D

The New York cops?! What book were you reading Trance?
Black Sails Over Freeport left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

Beyond King Ghazeera the dragon turtle (apparently based off of Bowser from the Marioverse or something like that), and zombies smoking cigars, and gorilla bad guys who throw barrels down planks at PCs (like Donkey Kong), and gorillas as bad guys in general, and gorillas as bad guys who gamble with bananas as currency...

The book insists on referring to the Sea Lord's Guard as if they were police, such that "Commissioner Xander Williams" becomes "Police Commissioner Williams."

In my game, I edited out much of the silliness. Not hard to remove, but it definitely felt like Freeport got taken over by twelve year olds for a while there.

As has been indicated in other threads, Freeport's reclaiming its pirate legacy. Hopefully, with less sodomy in future supplements. :)

Pramas

Explorer
Akrasia said:
Anyone who's looked at the pdf: I'd be interested in learning more about the bigger campaign setting included in the book (which covers 'the continent', the backstory regarding Yig, etc.).

I did a designer journal on this topic last month. It's on the Freeport Blog. For those of you who haven't seen it, the blog has previews, designer journals, and news about the City of Adventure. You can find it here:

http://greenronin.com/freeport/

Oh, and the book is printed and on its way from China. It's looking like it'll debut at GenCon and show up stores shortly thereafter.

And the authors, for the record, are Patrick O'Duffy, Robert J. Schwalb, and me. It was very much a team effort and I couldn't have asked for better co-authors on this book.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
talien said:
Black Sails Over Freeport left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

Funny, I just got my hands on that book (it is the only Freeport thing I own, b/c I got it for free). . . and I rather liked it.

Sure it has some silly stuff. . . But seeing as most of the adventures I run are converted from old modules and old 2E era Dungeon mags, I am used to having to remove stuff like that.

Plus, D&D by its very nature is a bit campy.

rjs

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Yeah, it's not terribly hard to add the sodomy back into Black Sails. :]

You're not kidding :D

Seriously, when doing the initial work on the Pirate's Guide, we were very careful to eliminate a lot of the more unusual elements that had crept into the setting. The city has moved back to its roots in a big way, with a new Sea Lord, new members on the Council, new characters, places and more. Oh, and there's 100% fewer Nintendo characters. Promise. I'm a Sony man ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Black Sails wasn't any problem for me. I prefered Crisis that's for sure, but even so, Black Sails didn't sell me on Freeport. The city book did.

*doesn't see anything wrong with sodomy and piracy* It can be the same thing! :p ;)

Chris,

Truly I look forward to seeing what you and Rob have done to the place. Patrick's name sounds familiar...but I honestly can't recall any books by him. Still I'm glad you and Rob added him. :)

Pramas

Explorer
Nightfall said:
Truly I look forward to seeing what you and Rob have done to the place. Patrick's name sounds familiar...but I honestly can't recall any books by him.

We first worked with Patrick on Denizens of Freeport, interestingly enough. Later he a key contributor to our Thieves' World line and did some great work on those books. You may also have seen his name in some White Wolf titles. Rob and I were delighted he came on board for the Pirate's Guide.

Remove ads