• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pirates in Eberron?

Kaladhan

First Post
Arrrrh mateys! After speaking about potential future campaigns, my players suggested they would like to be pirates and own their pirate ship. No more overarching plot, big demons threatening to come in this world. Their only concerns are boose, boobs and dubloons! A classic beer and pretzel game.

I'm looking at Eberron as a potential setting (I do not own any of the books yet). Is the setting friendly to the pirates? Is there already a region full of pirates?

shilsen

Adventurer
The setting is very friendly to pirates. There's an entire nation, or more precisely, a loose federation of islands occupied by pirates, called the Lhazaar Pincipalities. And there's the option for airship pirates too, if your players tend that way.

Deekin

Adventurer
Kaladhan said:
Arrrrh mateys! After speaking about potential future campaigns, my players suggested they would like to be pirates and own their pirate ship. No more overarching plot, big demons threatening to come in this world. Their only concerns are boose, boobs and dubloons! A classic beer and pretzel game.

I'm looking at Eberron as a potential setting (I do not own any of the books yet). Is the setting friendly to the pirates? Is there already a region full of pirates?

The Lhazaar Principalities. Ruled by the Pirate Princes. Pleanty of pirating going on. Just don't hit House Lyrandar ships, unless you like fighting storm.

Anti-Sean

First Post
Ahoy, Sonny Jim! Ye be wantin' the Lhazaar Principalities; information be found the the followin' arrrrrticles:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050502a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050516a

IIRC, there's also a bit of piracy that takes place out of Stormreach on Xen'Drik; the various nations of Khorvaire also furnished Letters of Marque to allow privateers to ply their trade on vessels of enemy nations during the Last War, although cessations of such hostilities should have ceased by now.

Kaladhan

First Post
That sounds like a winner!

Are the Lhazaar Principalities described only in the main setting book or can I find additionnal info in other supplements?

Deekin

Adventurer
Kaladhan said:
That sounds like a winner!

Are the Lhazaar Principalities described only in the main setting book or can I find additionnal info in other supplements?

Main book, & Player's Guide to Eberron. You might want to also pick up the Explorer's handbook, and Stormwrack. If you plan in involving the Dragonmarked houses, and Mabey Secrets of Sarlona, as A. Sarlonan Culture has a huge influence on the Principalities, B. It details the pirates of Sarlona.

Klaus

First Post
Not to mention that Explorer's Handbook has a Prestige Class for the Windwright Captain, which is a must-have for anyone wishing to helm a ship (either an airship or a storm galleon).

And note that the Lhazaar Principalities have a mostly cold weather (think North Atlantic).

Aeric

Explorer
While Lhazaar is presented as the Pirate Kingdom, it seems to me that the sea between Khorvaire and Xen'drik would be better suited for pirate activity. After all, pirates need something to steal, and I don't see a lot of sea traffic happening between Khorvaire and anywhere else. Xen'drik is essentially the New World, rich with artifacts and treasure being looted by the various nations and organizations of Khorvaire. If that wasn't enough, there's a bunch of islands between Khorvaire and Xen'drik that are perfect for pirate lairs.

The only thing I dislike is the fact that Khorvaire and Xen'drik are so close together. Last War aside, I often wonder why it took the residents of Khorvaire so long to start exploring/exploiting their southern neighbor.

The seas between Khorviare, Xendrik, Argosean, and Aerenal are perfect for pirate activity. Between the Gnomish factions, the Argosean Barabraians, the Sanguin, and Dragons.. I could see open sea travel as very not-profitable for honest merchants...making Xendrik that much harder to get to.

I would suggest having the PC's based out of Lhazaar but working the seas south of Khorvaire. They could sail into and sell goods at Sharn, Zilargo, Stormreach..as well as going back to Lhazaar... or if they are strong willed enough perhaps illicit trade with Riedra or the Elves...

Lots of good piratey stuff!

Remove ads