• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planar binding = unlimited wishes?

Pickford

First Post
Well, in the example I gave the caster is in a different form so the Genie (who lacks true seeing) has no idea what they really look like. Heck, just for kicks you could make yourself look like a demon.Second, how is the Genie going to get an image of the characters? They can't benefit from their own wishes, and wouldn't be able to accurately use a wish to acquire the image of one of the 'many' people they have given wishes to in the past as they would lack the characters name or even an accurate description. Provided the disguise was good, they'd (at best) have an engraving of some random shmuck.Lastly....any Genie who offers up to three wishes to someone where the Genie is NOT guaranteed a quick trip home (ala Planar Binding for example) is putting themselves at the utter mercy of whoever they enlist. There would be 'nothing' to prevent someone from permanently enslaving the Genie using any of the three wishes granted rather than helping them. (Classic Aladdin's Lamp stuff)

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
A few ideas:

• Houserule: Change planar binding to a Summoning spell instead of Calling. The genie wouldn't be able to grant wishes, and couldn't be threatened with death.
  • Houserule: Remove the clause that says multiple castings of wish can increase the inherent bonus. Limit it to +1, period.
  • DM Ruling: If you're forcing another creature to grant wishes using its own power, it can pervert your wish even if it's normally one of the 'safe' things to wish for.
  • NPC Action: Whatever omnipotent entity actually grants wishes (presumably it's not the efreeti itself) will punish them for abusing it. I don't have a 1e PHB in front of me, but this is explicitly how it works in OSRIC.
  • World-building: Planar binding doesn't work on efreet, because they've already found a way around it.

Last edited:

MDK

First Post
Well, in the example I gave the caster is in a different form so the Genie (who lacks true seeing) has no idea what they really look like. Heck, just for kicks you could make yourself look like a demon.Second, how is the Genie going to get an image of the characters? They can't benefit from their own wishes, and wouldn't be able to accurately use a wish to acquire the image of one of the 'many' people they have given wishes to in the past as they would lack the characters name or even an accurate description. Provided the disguise was good, they'd (at best) have an engraving of some random shmuck.Lastly....any Genie who offers up to three wishes to someone where the Genie is NOT guaranteed a quick trip home (ala Planar Binding for example) is putting themselves at the utter mercy of whoever they enlist. There would be 'nothing' to prevent someone from permanently enslaving the Genie using any of the three wishes granted rather than helping them. (Classic Aladdin's Lamp stuff)

There's quite a bit of divination magic that can get around the shapechaning etc, so while it's a bit of extra work, I still think the genie can have his revenge. Obviously though, YMMV.

Blackbrrd

First Post
The Genie who wants his revenge can offer three wishes to anyone who takes out the party? I don't think there is any harder currency than wishes. ;)

Greenfield

Adventurer
At our table this would draw a fairly sever "Dispel BS" from the DM.

If the player insisted that it be played out, the Efreet would refuse unless offered a fair price for its services. Or it would try to trick them (Efreet are Lawful Evil, so the DM should plan something appropriately nasty.)

As a last resort, if facing imminent destruction, ir would grant one Wish, as the spell only guarantees a single service.

It would pervert the Wish if reasonably possible, and would seek revenge. As in, the next time it's summoned it would offer an extra Wish or similar service in exchange for the new "master" casting a Wish to negate the previous one. The cheese giveth and the cheese taketh away.

If possible I'd have that particular Efreet become an ongoing adversary, or perhaps have an organization of Djinn that deals with such abuses.

The thing to remember is that the PCs aren't the first people in the world to use magic, and any trick that overly clever players try to pull off has almost certainly been tried before. So think big, bigger than the encounter, in terms of both time and space.

Once upon a time a PC found himself abruptly on the Plane of Air, bound to service of a Genie who had a Ring of Elf Summoning. And the Genie wanted his wishes, no tricks and no nonsense!

Remove ads