Planar Mage

Moonsword

First Post
Well, the idea of a guild member paying dues is extremely old, and is basically public knowledge. I didn't like the XP penalty, as it doesn't seem to balance out the benefits. This class would be a cross between a planeshifter and a guild mage. A spellpool could bew translated into a mana-well, a store of magical energy gathered by the guild. A member can gather from it as a full-round action, replacing a slot of equal value. The mechanics would need to be shifted around. I'll look at it and see what I can do. It shouldn't take too much work, after all, this is a trans-planar ability we're talking about.

Figure progression of saves, BAB, and spellcasting like that of a loremaster. Special abilities (roughly):
1st- Bonus language, guild dues
2nd- Mana well (levels 0-1)
3rd- Plane shift 1/day
4th- Mana well (levels 2-3)
5th- Extend Spell
6th- Mana well (levels 4-5)
7th- Bonus language
8th- Mana well (levels 6-7)
9th- Plane shift 2/day
10th- Mana well (levels 8-9)
Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft (8 ranks), Knowledge (planes) 3 ranks
Languages: 1 planar (Elemental, Infernal, Draconic [common tounge on the planes, dragons are everywhere])
Special: Must be recruited, pay 2000 gp for a member's ear ring, broach, or necklace to access the mana-well, and have visited a plane before being recruited and brought to the guild-house.
Spells: 3rd-level arcane.

If necessary, I can adjust the placement of items. This class is insanely easy to set up for epic levels (and a few of these guys running around could cause no end of havoc in the multi-verse, if properly armed). Sorcerors in particular would take this one, as it extends their flexibility. The guild would be the Planar Order or some such. The exact mana-well probabilities would be different, but your chance of finding a specific spell (within limits) is higher at higher levels, since the mana-based engineering that goes into these things is considerably more stable. The well also functions differently form a spell pool in the backgorund organization. I might require a Spellcraft check to access the pool, but a relatively easy one, just to make things more interesting.

Comments?

Telgian

First Post
Perhaps the location of the 'mana well' is in a sub-plane?
Requires a 'knowlege (planes) check to sucessfully access?

Then the mages of this 'Order' would have ample incentive to stay out among the planes to defend the heart of their power from the more powerful creatures among the planes?

Some quick/random thoughts. :)

Telgian.

Moonsword

First Post
This is a rough sketch. I really haven't made many major breakthroughs yet. Give me a few minutes and I can work up the mechanics in a rough form, along with a plane description. Let me unpack my books and write a draft or two...

Moonsword

First Post
Guild Mage of the Planar Order
The Planar Order is an ancient order of mages dedicated to the study of magic and the practice thereof on the planes, though they do have other, more mysterious goals. [Note: this is left open so DMs can customize or so I can fit the Order in with a cosmology. They would probably be good or neutral, but evil variations are certainly possible.] The Order recruits members from several planes, and all of these mebers are initiated into the guild. The Planar Order maintains a mana-well that guild mages can access from most planes, via the Astral Plane. The well functions by providing a formative 'matrix' of mana, and the mage fills in the rest (requires a Spellcraft check). The order has long experience in dealing with outsiders, and is both well known to outsiders and has developed techniques to combat them. Hit Die: d4.

Requirements:
Alignment: Any non-evil (default, customize to your specifications)
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 4 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Any metamagic feat, Spell Focus (any)
Spellcasting: 3rd-level arcane
Special: Must have visited aother plane prior to recruitment, must be recruited (DMs are encouraged to be evil on this one), and must pay 1500 gp for initiation

Class Skills: Alchemy, Concentration, Knowledge (any), Spellcraft, Scrying. Members get 4+Int modifier per level in skill points.

BAB, Save, and Spellcasting as Loremaster.
Level- Class Ability:
1st- Guild dues, bonus language, +2 Diplomacy w/outsiders
2nd- Mana-well (0-1)
3rd- Plane shift 1/day, magic circle (any) 2/day
4th- Mana-well (2-3)
5th- Extend Spell
7th- Bonus language
9th- Plane shift 2/day

Mana-well: Requires Spellcraft check to access (DC 10+spell level), full round aciton. Base chance of acquisition: 65%-2% per spell level. Users may incur a level debt, and must be paid back within 500 local days.

Bonus languages: Elemental, Infernal, Draconic [common tounge on the planes, dragons are everywhere]

Magic Circle: Full-round aciton to cast, but any variant. Gained ONCE. Does not increase in times/day as the mage rises in level.

Khorod

First Post
I suggest replacing Extend Spell with a Bonus Metamagic Feat.

Why would someone become a planar mage before they have the means to come and go to the planes? At 5th level this character could try to track down a portal, or use a magic item, but would not be able to get out there themselves. I would think Teleport as a minimum requirement based on that, so they can get to a portal they know of.

What do you envision guild dues being used for? Defending the spellpool? Lab equipment? A high level planar mage has no need of a communal lab. Hiring warrior-mercs?

I think a sample Order would be interesting.

Moonsword

First Post
Revised:
Requirements:
Alignment: Any non-evil (default, customize to your specifications)
Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 10 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks
Feats: Any metamagic feat, Spell Focus (any)
Spellcasting: 4th-level arcane
Special: Must have visited aother plane prior to recruitment, must be recruited (DMs are encouraged to be evil on this one), and must pay 1500 gp for initiation.

BAB, Save, and Spellcasting as Loremaster.
Level- Class Ability:
1st- Guild dues, bonus language, +2 Diplomacy w/outsiders
2nd- Mana-well (0-1)
3rd- Plane shift 1/day, magic circle (any) 2/day
4th- Mana-well (2-3)
5th- Bonus metamagic feat.
7th- Bonus language
9th- Plane shift 2/day

Mana-well: Requires Spellcraft check to access (DC 10+spell level), full round aciton. Base chance of acquisition: 65%-2% per spell level. Users may incur a level debt, and must be paid back within 500 local days.

Bonus languages: Elemental, Infernal, Draconic [common tounge on the planes, dragons are everywhere], etc.

Magic Circle: Full-round aciton to cast, but any variant. Gained ONCE. Does not increase in times/day as the mage rises in level.

On the requirements, I'm basing it on the example I have, namely the MotP. This is really a blend of two different classes, the planeshifter and the guild wizard. The planeshifter is accessible to a 5th/6th level Wiz/Sor. I'm going by the examples I have, unfortunately. This also allows a tremendous amount of flexibility with characters. I give plane shift after the MotP does, for that matter. And visiting a plane doesn't have to be done at the character's wish. THe Order could very well simply arrange for this to test the potentiel mage. That would be a very interesting situation, and one that allows the DM to depart from his normal campaign for a little while.

The Planar Order:
Type: Plane-spanning mage's guild
Goals: Unknown, but invovle magic and planar stability (adjust as needed)
Members: Several thousand
Allies: Probably a couple of good and/or lawful planes, as well as a planar city and some guilds within mortal planes
Enemies: Assign as needed, one almost definite choice is demons (these people do not like chaos, and are even less fond of it's more destructive aspects)
Leadership: Small council
History: Founded 1900 years ago by a half-dragon/half celestiel elf (could be half-fiendish), Shannara Morianis, the Order serves as a sort of inter-planar research agency. Also, the Order is fairly lawful, and is not fond of attempts by chaos to enroach. THe demons were a sworn enemy of Shannara, who still leads the Inner Council of the Planes, and is not adverse to taking a few swipes at them now and then. The Order's actual role is simply one of balance. While the Order tries to stay out of most ocnflicts, their true interest is in the planes themselves, and in research of both other planes and magic relating to them. Strange and unusual magics are often encountered with the walls of the Order's citadel.
Location: The Citadel of the Planes is located within a Mortal Space, on a dead planet. The planet circles a yellow sun with other worlds, including one woth intelligent, but non-magical, inhabitants. Very little is known about these people beyond that they are basically human, and as the Order has larger concerns, this curious world has mostly been left untouched except for a few choice areas. The world the Citadel sits upon is small (think Pluto) and uninhabitable without magic. It is cold and desolate, and is circled by a small moon, believed to be a lost remnant of the world itself. The Order refers to this world as Rioeeagh Baase, 'Icy Death' [Real words, Gaelic, seemed appropriate]. The Citadel itself is a small compund that puts out very little light, as the Order wishes to be undisturbed by the other inhabitants of the system. The Citadel is covered in various wards, and has a series of magical (epic-level) controls on access to that region within that particular system. There are a couple of small outposts on the inner world, and research is being conducted on the moon orbiting the world called 'Earth' by it's inhabitants. There appears to have been some vast catastrophe that took place on that moon millennia ago, that involved the direct manifestation of a lesser deity. No one is sure what happened, and the inhabitants of Earth don't even remember the events having taken place. THe Order is watching very carefully, but is attempting to intervene as little as possible in the world's development. The humans are unstable, and appear to possess technology of vast power in some limited areas. The Order's existence, or rather, the revelation thereof, could easily push that world over the edge...

The Planar Order's Citadel is easily moved, but the idea is there. The guild dues are used for things from maintaining some level of liquidity in investments on several planes for operating capital to the funding of research in basic arcane theory and spell research. The Order could easily provide a small, low-key encounter or two, and can indirectly cause someone a tremendous amount of trouble. The setting is not something I plan to submit, but just an example. There are several dragons within the Order, but they play little role in the day-to-day operations of the Order. Most of the time, the Order is content to research and explore quietly, without interference, but they are mindful of causing trouble iwthin the planes, and will aid a friend in need with little reluctance on the part of the Inner Council. They do actively recruit on a few planes, and are not adverse to sending potentiel recruits to accomplish a task on some alternate plane of existence, though usually nothing too dangerous. This could easily satisfy the requirement for a planar visit prior to recruitment. I can esplain the reasons for the Order's choice of home if anyone is interested, or move it if desired. Again, that was just an example.

Telgian

First Post
The Citadel itself is a small compund that puts out very little light, as the Order wishes to be undisturbed by the other inhabitants of the system. The Citadel is covered in various wards, and has a series of magical (epic-level) controls on access to that region within that particular system.
Perhaps a small citadel with lots of sub-planes within for specific environments? To contain damage from experiments gone bad? Extra room is always needed...

Just a few more random thoughts. :)

THe Order is watching very carefully, but is attempting to intervene as little as possible in the world's development. The humans are unstable, and appear to possess technology of vast power in some limited areas. The Order's existence, or rather, the revelation thereof, could easily push that world over the edge...
Do I smell CoC or d20 Modern hooks dropped in here? :D

Actually, I'm sure that they could be worked in quite easily...

Regards,
Telgian.
(Off to author mischief elsewhere. :D )

Khorod

First Post
Reminds me of one of the things I heard about in Eldritch Might III- some sort of Fortress that contains or extends to a dozen different planes.

Telgian

First Post
Reminds me of one of the things I heard about in Eldritch Might III- some sort of Fortress that contains or extends to a dozen different planes.
Umm...there's the Nexus in BoEM III, but that's a lot more extensive -- and it leads to different planes, not to little pockets carved out of the multiverse. More akin to Sigil as far as planar travel made 'easy' for adventurers is concerned.
It isn't out in print yet AFAIK, so I haven't seen the entirety of it yet.

~~~~~~~~~~
I was thinking more in terms of "here's the garden", and "here's the fish pond" or "here are the labs for dangerous experiments so that we don't blow the entire complex up" kind of thing. In short a viable fortress using planes if it is located on a planet with such hostile conditions.
OTOH there is always create food and water, but that is less intresting. :p

Last edited:

Moonsword

First Post
True, and the Citadel does contain all of those things. That was just a quick sketch of the location. The actual planar links are contained within a secure area. The Citadel isn't actually one huge castle, but a fairly large, expansive compound, carefully hidden from prying eyes, and with enough mages in residence to handle anything up to and including a demigod that comes calling. Epic-level wizards can do a _lot_ of damage when they decide to. And yes, there are d20 Modern hooks thrown in. That allows Modern GMs to run a campaign that includes material from this netbook with a fairly developed situation.

Remove ads