Plane Hopping Creatures (no LA)?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Question- are there any plane traveling creatures out there that have been created for 3.5 that don't have any sort of LA? By plane-traveling, I mean that have some capacity to plane shift on their own power (not by walking to a gate- via ethereal jaunt or plane shift or something).

I know the Gith have plane shifting abilities at higher levels, but they have a LA. I'd prefer an LA +0 race, even if the ability doesn't come into effect until a higher level (like the Gith).

Kafkonia

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Question- are there any plane traveling creatures out there that have been created for 3.5 that don't have any sort of LA? By plane-traveling, I mean that have some capacity to plane shift on their own power (not by walking to a gate- via ethereal jaunt or plane shift or something).

I know the Gith have plane shifting abilities at higher levels, but they have a LA. I'd prefer an LA +0 race, even if the ability doesn't come into effect until a higher level (like the Gith).

Can you imagine the penalties a creature would have to have to offset the benefits of something that powerful at LA+0?

Unless you want to play something with a Level Adjustment and use a racial progression a la Savage Species.

Planeshiftians
Size: Medium
Speed: 20 ft.
Abilities: (-2 Cha, -2 Int) Planeshiftians are cruder, uglier, and dumber than most other races.
Planar Jaunt (Sp): When a Planeshiftian reaches 9HD, he can cast Planeshift once per day as a 9th level Cleric.
Natural Armor Penalty: -2. Planeshiftians have soft, supple bodies that are easily cut, slashed, and bludgeoned.
Bonus Feat: Skill Focus (Use Rope). Planeshiftians love ropes, and routinely hang themselves with it at somewhere around 8HD.
Favored Class: Paladin of Freedom (If your campaign doesn't use Psionics, Favored Class is Psion instead of Paladin of Freedom.)
Alignment: Always, 100% Lawful Neutral.

In all seriousness, though, just take Humans as a base, strip away the bonus skill points and bonus feat, make their favored class Wizard, and add the Planar Jaunt feature from above.

-TRRW

Hah. I sympathize. One of the things that always annoys me when playing a magic-less class is that I have to depend on others to travel. All classes should have Fly, Teleport, and Planeshift. :D

EyeontheMountain

First Post
To help balance their plane shifting ability, make sure they can never choose that plane they are going to. And make a table something like

1-30 Elemental plane of fire
31-60 Negative Energy plane
61-90 Positive Energy Plane
91-99 Plane msot opposed to your alignment(or if neutral, the plane of your worst deific enemy)
00 Reroll. If you roll 00 again, then Where you want to go.

Would explain why that race is really really uncommon. ;)

Seriously, I see little problem making most standard races able to do so at 10th level or so. (Why the horizon walker cannot do this still amazes me.) Maybe for more balance, let them lose one or more abilities form thier race that they need.

Maybe
Human-Bonus feat
Dwarf-Stonecunning
Halfling-Saves
Elf-Elven senses

And so on.

Remove ads