<< PLANESCAPE >> How do you defeat the Lady of Pain?

Numion

First Post
Has the Lady of Pain existed always? Has she always been that omnipotent? If not, the answer is:

TIME TRAVEL

You flip back in time, flip open the can of whoop-ass on her, flip back to present. Don't lose the sports almanac.

reiella

Explorer
Shemeska said:
And secondly, where are the implications of deities locked inside the mazes? I didn't recall that ever appearing anywhere, but you've got me curious now. :)

Hehe, on Aoskar, possible my memory blurring, and also the same on the second. May also be possible for a Canon-Breach in Planescape:Torment (which I'm considering given how the city itself behaves in that game).

I seem to recall it from the details on the Mazes in the boxed set, which I'm now looking for :).

Hmm sidenote, the Mazes are in the Ethereal Plane (Deep Ethereal), honestly it [It being the Powers in the Mazes] may be a memory blur.

Last edited:

Bendris Noulg

First Post
I must admit, when running Planescape back in the day, I never saw the Lady as a plot devise so much as an icon of stability. Fact is, every big wig in the planes (regardless of power level, ranking, or alignment) would sell their grandmother to south asian opium dealers for a chance at taking over the city. Remove the "nigh untouchable" Lady and replace her with a Lady possessing quantifiable statistics that make her defeatable, and the stability between factions, gods, and possibly even the Blood War goes up in smoke. Sigil is the basis of being able to take 1st Level characters and dropping them off in the planes, the playground of the gods, knowing that they have a safe-haven and means of gaining supplies and getting to where they need/want to go (an important thing considering the even the good-aligned planes are far from safe, even for good-aligned characters). Remove the stability, and suddenly the planes become far more hostile and intrusive (i.e., it goes back to being the stomping-ground of high level characters since the neutral "common ground" of Sigil is no longer neutral, if it remains at all).

Sure, one can make up a way to defeat her. But, much like the Shadow of Midnight, such things should be left to the individual group. Any "official" means of slaying her (which would include giving her stats, regardless of how min/maxed, power gamed or munchkinized those stats are) I would simply ignore.

taotad

Explorer
Bendris Noulg said:
Sigil is the basis of being able to take 1st Level characters and dropping them off in the planes, the playground of the gods, knowing that they have a safe-haven and means of gaining supplies and getting to where they need/want to go (an important thing considering the even the good-aligned planes are far from safe, even for good-aligned characters). Remove the stability, and suddenly the planes become far more hostile and intrusive (i.e., it goes back to being the stomping-ground of high level characters since the neutral "common ground" of Sigil is no longer neutral, if it remains at all).
The best argument so far.

The Lady makes the planes accessible, and more easily traversed.

Zappo

Explorer
reiella said:
Fun notes, Ao is specifically mentioned in the 2e Planescape box (The deity home location map thingy) and isn't any more a considerable threat than Corellon (who, being the god of Munchkin Elves, I still maintain has the best shot :p).
In Planescape, it is stated that the omnipotence of an overgod (such as Ao) is limited to its crystal sphere. Outside realmspace, Ao is "only" a normal god. Corellon is supposed to be the god of (most of the) elves in all of the prime material, so on the planes he's more powerful.

midknight12

First Post
The Lady of Pain is a difficult subject. First of all, the spire in which sigil sits on top of neutralizes all of a god's power. No priest can cast spells next to the spire. If you follow the novel, I believen the Book of Pain (not sure), says that she was a demi god to be married to Set. However, she dove into the river of stys to escape and dissappeared. With this in mind, she is some kind of god-like being that has utilized whatever power source that is at the spire and neutralizes god-like powers. She controls the portals and the mazes to keep all the troublemakers in line and out of the city. With all this in mind, the power to destroy her lies in worshipping her. I don't think it could work by worshipping her from some place in the prime material world, because the spires field blocks this, IMHO. So, you would have to worship her in sigil and get enough to exalt her to full godhood. When she becomes a god, she would lose her power and i think it would destroy her, since she uses the power from the spire and the polarized energies would annihilate each other with an explosive affect. Sigil would dissappear, unfortunately. Another way is by drawing the spires energy away from her to make her powerless of couse, i think the donut would die too in the process.

Those are my thoughts. I wouldn't want to destroy her. And I still wish WOTC would allow someone to do a d20 or OGL Planescape. The Planescape project is doing a good job, just wish it would go faster. :)

David

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
It has been said before in this thread and I'll say it again. Who would want to defeat the Lady of Pain?

If you're a player asking this question, find better things to do with your time. :)
If you're a DM looking for a way to make cataclysmic change in the storyline... Make up a way to defeat her (but again, who would want to).

RithTheAwakener

First Post
Well. Me and my friend killed the lady of pain once. There was some weird thing with her powers gone or something funny like that. We were randomly teleported from FR to Planescape, and the lady happened to be walking around... she gave us a menacing look, so my friend (the dwarf) bull rushed her to the ground with a nat20, then I took out a big mean axe, 2 nat20's (meant instant death if someone was hit by 2 nat 20's, kept that rule from 2nd edition)...and off went her head.

The DM was quite sad to see that happen when we were lvl 3... apparently we were supposed to kill her later for some "plot" he kept mumbling about... :D

Pants

First Post
RithTheAwakener said:
Well. Me and my friend killed the lady of pain once. There was some weird thing with her powers gone or something funny like that. We were randomly teleported from FR to Planescape, and the lady happened to be walking around... she gave us a menacing look, so my friend (the dwarf) bull rushed her to the ground with a nat20, then I took out a big mean axe, 2 nat20's (meant instant death if someone was hit by 2 nat 20's, kept that rule from 2nd edition)...and off went her head.

The DM was quite sad to see that happen when we were lvl 3... apparently we were supposed to kill her later for some "plot" he kept mumbling about... :D
That menacing look should have killed you ;)

Remove ads