<< PLANESCAPE >> How do you defeat the Lady of Pain?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
LightPhoenix said:
Another alternative way is to simply use technology - it's not muted at all. epic-level fighters with explosives could eventually chip away enough of the Spire for it to topple. Plus, they'll be the best equipped to deal with pesky interlopers - according to MotP, few divine powers even work near the spire, so certainly no mortal magic would. Only a major god could stop you, and even then I'd rule their powers severly limited - as per the rules laid out in MotP.
There's one problem - if the spire is truly infinitely tall, then it will never topple, no matter what you do to the base. In order for the angle that the spire makes at the base to cease to be zero, the tip would have to travel an infinite distance, which it will never do...
Note, destoying the Spire would cause a major cataclysm, since it's supposedly the axis of the planes.

Major cataclysms are always SO much fun though!

fba827

Adventurer
Calico_Jack73 said:
Okay from what I've heard the Lady of Pain is supposed to be pretty much Omnipotent. No god, artifact, or entity of any kind can hurt her much less destroy her. I refuse to believe that. There has got to be a way. Please submit your ideas and hopefully some of the Planescape Sages will offer their own guidance.

Leave it to someone from the Washington D.C. metro area to want to destroy the very fabric of reality on another plane ;)

(it's a joke. I'm from here too :p )

Felon

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
Good call! If the Fiends are trying to invade sigil they could torture all the petitioners to begin worshiping her as a god. She'd have to go to the Abyss or to the Nine Hells to stop them and I don't see that happening. Now we just need a rebuttal.

Well, I guess I'll oblige :)

The "forced worship" idea is actually what the original poster of that armageddon thread came up with. Of course, on face value that's a tad asinine. Prayer under duress is just lip service, with no genuine faith involved. If you're not devoted to your would-be deity, it's not worship, and if you're truly devoted then you're willing to endure a little thing like a red-hot poker up the bottom. It's a bit of a catch-22.

And that's putting aside the questionable matter of suggesting that prayers alone can impart deityhood--especially if the individual in question doesn't desire such a status. Boy, that'd be a real cool prank for Ted the Cobbler to play on Bill the Bootblack...

"Where am I? What's with all these damn clouds? Stop pushing me down into this throne! Hey, who's this clown sitting at my right hand? What do you mean I gotta pick a minimum of two domains? Ted, I'm sooo gonna get you for this!"

Of course, the joke's ultimately on Ted since worship is a two-way street. If Ted's able to establish a divine channel to Bill with his worship, then Bill can use that same conduit to locate and send a smiting to Ted's ass, post-haste.

DocMoriartty said:
My suggestion is the same as I posted in the Demon/Devil alliance thread. Use one of the portals into Sigil to channel divine power of a dead God into her. Once this makes her partially divine Sigil should kick her out since Gods are not supposed to be in Sigil.

Says who? Oh, her. Sounds like a dicey plan at best :)

Your best bet? Psychology. Get her to do something patently self-destructive. Of course, that may wipe out the rest of the cosmos, but hey no plan is perfect.

Last edited:

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Thought people were complaining that Soth was MIA?

(Not that I follow/ed either setting that closely, I just seem to remember a few "Where's Soth?" threads a short time after 3E came out...)

Pants

First Post
Bendris Noulg said:
No, but the people licensed to do the "official" 3E conversion seem to be.

That's how you wish to view it, then do so. Legally, however, they have a license that says otherwise.
Interesting, I don't know such.

Being that there are two sources making ascention within Sigil possible, I'd say the only thing that's been proven is that it is possible to ascend in Sigil.
Exactly.

No, it's not. The question is: Can a god enter Sigil? Two beings ascending to godhood while in Sigil does not canonize gods entering Sigil.
No, but it is a loophole that both Aoskar and Vecna used. Aoskar ended up the worse, while Vecna... he got banished somewhere I think, but only with the PC's help.

The question of LoP's full power is open to debate. Does she have power? Is she simply the will of the city itself? Is she a divine being that uses Sigil the way other divine beings use worshippers?
Obviously, she does have some power. The question is how does she get it and how much does she have? Even with DVD, the question is still open to interpretation, the module sheds only a little more light on the subject.

She's an enigma. An ideal. A "grand mystery".
She still is. I don't know how DVD destroys her enigmatic nature. Care to explain?

The folks at WotC have directly stated that MotP is not Planescape. At best, it's the 1E MotP updated to 3E with some landmark PS elements.
So? It contains enough Planescape references to be 'Planescape' enough for me. Obviously we have very different ideas of canon information here.

I don't care what WotC ignores or doesn't ignore. Hell, I pretty much ignore their definition of D&D.
Good for you.

Nope. At least, if you are still trying to convince yourself that deific ascention within Sigil = deities entering sigil, it isn't.
I never said that. I said Vecna exploited a loophole ie becoming a deity inside Sigil.

Felon said:
The "forced worship" idea is actually what the original poster of that armageddon thread came up with. Of course, on face value that's a tad asinine. Prayer under duress is just lip service, with no genuine faith involved. If you're not devoted to your would-be deity, it's not worship, and if you're truly devoted then you're willing to endure a little thing like a red-hot poker up the bottom. It's a bit of a catch-22.
I'm pretty sure that some Archdevils and Demon Princes working together could come up with a way to spread a religion of the Lady across the planes. At the very least, they could do that. ;)

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Pants said:
I'm pretty sure that some Archdevils and Demon Princes working together could come up with a way to spread a religion of the Lady across the planes. At the very least, they could do that. ;)

The greatest trick the devil ever accomplished was to convince the world that he doesn't exist. :)

herald

First Post
LGodamus said:
The module is "Die Vecna,Die" and is has been brought up...not to mention its such a junky module most people who played planescape ignore it anyway, and alot who dont still think is drivel since it is a basic general D&D adventure and breaks the accepted limits of two other seperate campaigns which it has no business doing.

What a load of garbage.

Planescape hijacked way to may cosmologies. DVD was the best way to divorce the shotgun marriage of all those game worlds.

Remove ads