• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape/Sigil question

DizzyKungFu

First Post
Did anyone play the old 2e Planescape setting? I know that the Lady of Pain didn't like powers/dieties and didn't allow them in Sigil, but how did she feel about clerics of those powers? E.g. what did she do about a priest of Moradin casting spells in Sigil? Was that just ignored, or was that one of the things that could get you mazed/dead?

Carnifex

First Post
DizzyKungFu said:
Did anyone play the old 2e Planescape setting? I know that the Lady of Pain didn't like powers/dieties and didn't allow them in Sigil, but how did she feel about clerics of those powers? E.g. what did she do about a priest of Moradin casting spells in Sigil? Was that just ignored, or was that one of the things that could get you mazed/dead?

Yep, I used to play Planescape (and still do, in 3e :) ).

The Lady does not permit deities to enter the Cage. If one somehow manages to do so, like being turned into a deity while already within the Cage, they effectively get forced out by a dull pain that slowly grows more intense until they leave. Plus just look at what the Lady did to Aoskar when he challenged her power.

As for clerics, they can cast just fine, and there are lots of tempels in Sigil. Proxies are fine too.

Of course, if a religion starts to challenge the Lady, perhaps by trying to take over the Cage or whatever, she'll take steps, ala Aoskar (now a floating corpse in the Astral, IIRC).

Psion

Adventurer
DizzyKungFu said:
Did anyone play the old 2e Planescape setting?

As past polls here have shown, many have...

I know that the Lady of Pain didn't like powers/dieties and didn't allow them in Sigil, but how did she feel about clerics of those powers? E.g. what did she do about a priest of Moradin casting spells in Sigil? Was that just ignored, or was that one of the things that could get you mazed/dead?

The Lady of Pain typically doesn't care about the casting of cleric spells... unless, of course, doing so is trying to do something else on her list of no-no's.

Not even close. She's an enigma.

The fiction book "Pages of Pain" hinted at some things. Effectively, she's a quasi-goddess - a being with the powers of a goddess, but who can't/won't accept worship so that she can keep other gods out of Sigil.

She's the keeper / source of all the Pains of the universe - and that's why Sigil is the center of all the planes, so that the pains can spread. If she weren't protected by her isolation, the other gods would attack her for control of Pain.

There was a long plot suggesting she was the daughter of either a well-known god, or a demon lord - but the story also suggests that this might be a lie.

Tzarevitch

First Post
DizzyKungFu said:

The Lady of Pain has no problem with priests or other servants of deities, or even the deities themselves as far as any one knows. She only has two real rules that she enforces on penalty of death or the Mazes:

1) No deities are permitted to enter Sigil.

2) No one is permitted to worship the Lady of Pain.

Since a priest of Moradin (or any other priest) casting spells in Sigil is not either of the above, whe doesn't really express any care about it.

Tzarevitch

Ukyo the undead

First Post
Savage Wombat said:
Not even close. She's an enigma.

The fiction book "Pages of Pain" hinted at some things. Effectively, she's a quasi-goddess - a being with the powers of a goddess, but who can't/won't accept worship so that she can keep other gods out of Sigil.

I have a theory that´s in this way, but ( in my theory) The Lady can´t have anyone worshiping her, because if so, she would become a full god, and would be expelled from Sigil herself. Like if it was Sigil itself that have a mechanism against gods, not the Lady.

Interesting?

guedo79

Explorer
Page's of Pain should be taking with a grain of salt. Most of the time books don't follow along with the "canon". I mean did you read BloodWars? They had modrons dancing.

Ukyo said:
I have a theory that´s in this way, but ( in my theory) The Lady can´t have anyone worshiping her, because if so, she would become a full god, and would be expelled from Sigil herself. Like if it was Sigil itself that have a mechanism against gods, not the Lady.

I've always been a fan of this too. No Gods are let into Sigil by the law of the lady. If she becomes a God then she can no longer protect the city.

Remove ads