• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape!

Chaos Apostate

First Post
Well, this being my first post and all I suppose I should really start at the beginning, so... errr... hi everyone, :) I'm Chaos Apostate, known on some other boards as CeramicAtheist.
Anyway... This post is, essentially, an attempt to round up any and all Planescape fans on the board. I know the setting is extinct, but I also know that everwhere I go I can usually find it surviving through its fanbase. Hence, I'm hoping that I can find some fans hanging around here who would be interested in starting a game. For myself, I would be more interested in playing in a game than DMing one. Therefore i am really looking for three other players, and a DM. If a DM can be found, then I will hand over all control and spokesmanship for the thread to him/her.
In terms of style, I was thinking of something fairly character based, with a nice strong plot, and just a little bit of occasional combat to keep things interesting. I was thinking of using the 3.5 rules - I know there hasn't been a full 3.5 Planescape conversion, but for the most part I don't thikn that's necessary or important. In terms of the factions, for instance, I never particularly liked the special rules for each faction. I would much rather they stayed simply as a philosophy, an ideal, and a guild rather than as the semi-mystical strangeness that TSR seemed to be trying to make them through granting them all special abilities. I see where they were coming from - power of belief and all that - but I don't think it was handled as well as it could have been.
But I digress - the point is that I believe Planescape could very easily be adapted to 3.5 - indeed, I don't think it even needs adapting. Most of the 2e specific rules were unnecessary in my opinion.

So, is there any interest for this sort of thing? Anyone else share my unhealthy obsession with Planescape?

WizWrm

First Post
I'm definitely interested in playing a Planescape game. I tried starting one up about a month back, and there was definitely a healthy amount of interest, but the DM disappeared before deciding on an adventure.

And use some paragraph spacing! :)

There is an almost-full Planescape conversion at www.planewalker.com (click "PS3e" then "Releases") Like you suggest, there are no rules dealing with factions, only a couple pages each detailing philosophy and such (although there are some faction-related feats), but pretty much everything rules-based (the races, in particular) is covered.

muhcashin

Explorer
I am also very interested in Planescape, although I have never played in one. Planescape: Torment the computer game really made me see how wierd yet deep the setting was.

If there was a game brewing up, I'd definitely join.

Velmont

First Post
I love planescape, but I don't aster it enough to be a master, but I would like to play. I am playing in a Planscape game that start last month and progress slowly. The system used is Mutant & Masterminds. I found the idea pretty cool, as it is easier to play a planar coming from anywhere without unbalancing your character. If you want to take a look:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63916

Chaos Apostate

First Post
Actually, I've been thinking about this and I've decided that the idea of DMing it is appealling to me more and more. So, unless I get any great pleas from a would-be DM in the next few days, I'll run this campaign. The details I have so far:

It will be set, to begin with at any rate, within Sigil. Characters can be planars or primes, but I need a good reason for them to be in Sigil. I am currently thinking of starting characters at around level five. Faction membership will be acceptable for starting characters. All alignments accepted. Weird and wacky races and concepts will be considered, but only if I think the character will work. Characters can be created using 32 point buy, or you can have me roll some dice for you in which case I'll use the 4d6 drop-the-lowest system and get back to you with the results. Purchase items using the wealth-by-character-level table in the DMs guide, and the equipment lists from the same book. I'd rather keep things simple, but if there's something from a splat book you really want to use then please post it for my approval. For 3E Planescape rules, use the link given above by WizWrm.

Anyone seriously interested in this game, please start working on a character using the guidelines above. I will need the full character sheet, plus a background, physical description, brief character description, etc. I don't require epic novels, but I will NOT accept characters without a good backstory, personality, and general flavour. I will probably be ready to begin the campaign within a week or so, or whenever I can gather four players and get them organized and ready to start. I can post roughly once a day, twice at a push.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
I want to try to play a Xaocitech, and to get in the character as much as possible, well, can you guess? Yeap, I want you to roll my stats. I will see what I can do depending on the stats.

WizWrm

First Post
I've got a pretty rough week ahead of me, but I think I can get a character in by Friday.

Also, I presume this will be post-Faction War?

Remove ads