• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planning our Vacation to Disneyworld - any advice?

NewJeffCT

First Post
Lots of good advice here. Another suggestion is the pick up the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld (or something like that)

It has a huge amount of suggestions in it: For example: Supposedly, the best show at the end of the night is the one in Hollywood Studios (Fantasmic?). However, because of the recession in 08/09, they cut back it back to only 2-3 nights per week instead of 7 nights. So, on those 2-3 days, Hollywood Studios is packed and any sitdown restaurant is nigh-impossible to get a reservation, unless you are lucky and get a last minute cancellation. It would advise if you want to see Hollywood Studios and the evening show, get a park-hopper pass and enjoy Hollywood Studios on a slow day, then use the park-hopper to come back 60-90 minutes before Fantasmic.

Also agree with staying at a Disney Resort - we went for a week 2 years ago in August (yes, brutally hot) and we also got a free meal plan with our stay, which really paid off - I think I ate salmon prepared 7 different ways that week.

Also, agree on the belly-dancing show in Epcot. My daughter was 6 at the time and was in the front row and got to dance with the belly dancer.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Lots of good advice here. Another suggestion is the pick up the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld (or something like that)

It has a huge amount of suggestions in it: For example: Supposedly, the best show at the end of the night is the one in Hollywood Studios (Fantasmic?). However, because of the recession in 08/09, they cut back it back to only 2-3 nights per week instead of 7 nights. So, on those 2-3 days, Hollywood Studios is packed and any sitdown restaurant is nigh-impossible to get a reservation, unless you are lucky and get a last minute cancellation. It would advise if you want to see Hollywood Studios and the evening show, get a park-hopper pass and enjoy Hollywood Studios on a slow day, then use the park-hopper to come back 60-90 minutes before Fantasmic.

Also agree with staying at a Disney Resort - we went for a week 2 years ago in August (yes, brutally hot) and we also got a free meal plan with our stay, which really paid off - I think I ate salmon prepared 7 different ways that week.

Also, agree on the belly-dancing show in Epcot. My daughter was 6 at the time and was in the front row and got to dance with the belly dancer.

Pbartender

First Post
Also, if you are going to make reservations for sit-down restaurants, call the Disney reservation line MONTHS (no joke!) in advance, if you can. Reservations open up something like 180 days prior to the date, and popular restaurants (like the character breakfasts) during the busier seasons can fill up FAST (within minutes, sometimes).

Baron Opal

First Post
Disney World has become the exclusive Baronial vacation spot.

Stay at the Resort - some of the places are a bit dated, some are new. Considering how much time you will spend in your room (little), it doesn't really matter. We prefer staying at one of the original resorts as they have access to the monorail, which is very handy. The African resort / park is really nice, but isolated. If you stay there, you will have a significantly longer bus ride to and from other parks.

Get the meal plan - The prices look expensive, but you save money. It will cost more in gas to leave and return from the park. There are a variety of plans; you end up with a budget of "meals" and "snacks" to spend as you wish. A few places are "signature" restaurants, and require two meals.

Concierge service - Spendy, but nice. Free snacks are available at the concerge, which can include oatmeal, cold cereal, toast, &c. for breakfast, some amazing wings for lunch if you are at the Polynesian, and some great apertifs for a night cap at the Wilderness Lodge. You can only visit the conceierge at your resort, and each one is different. Basically, you get to spend your breakfast "meal" somewhere else since you are having breakfast at the concierge. Also, you get access to the concierge, who can help smooth out snags and change reservations. You don't get to "bump" other people, but if there is an opening, they will find it.

Visit allears.org! - It is a great site with a lot of great information. It is NOT a Disney site, so you can get some independant information. They have experiences, pictures, prices... It's the strategy site to get the most out of your vacation!

Consider booking a vacation package - The representitives will spend all day talking with you, if necesary. Disney has the best customer service I have ever encountered. Do some research, and then call them and tell them your budget. They will work with you to get the most out of your vacation. There are always specials. One vacation we were able to get a Tier 3 meal plan for the price of a Tier 2 (whatever they are called). Furthermore, specials change. If a new one comes up on a commercial that you like better, call them back and rebook with the new deal!

Also, booking the package lets you reserve spot on special events. They would be available if you just showed up, but all the spots are usually filled by then.

Plan, but be flexible. One time when we went it became blisteringly hot. We were wilting. So, we spent the day at the resort pool-side. We had an awesome time. There are people who are paid to wander around and play with the kids. Sidewalk drawing, sand castle building, scavenger hunts, &c. They're not there all the time, and they're not "baby-sitters", but they give the kids something to do nearby.

Our family has some food allergies. Mention them when reserving your meals. They will make note, and when you remind them about it at the restaurant, the chef will come out to the table and fix something special for you. They are incredably accomidating.

Last edited:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Also, if you are going to make reservations for sit-down restaurants, call the Disney reservation line MONTHS (no joke!) in advance, if you can. Reservations open up something like 180 days prior to the date, and popular restaurants (like the character breakfasts) during the busier seasons can fill up FAST (within minutes, sometimes).

You can also do dinner reservations online.

I prefer staying on-site. Free bus service beats $14/day to park and then remember where ya parked (ala Kirk out of ST:IV)

Great website: Disney World - The Largest Unofficial On-Line Guide to Disney World, Walt Disney World They have ticket info, restaurant prices and menus, etc and also forums to ask questions of people who go more frequently than some of us do. lol

The regular dining plan will be about $45 starting next year.

I've done park hopper each time I've gone. And the crowds are super-light in September. And not too bad in early Nov either but gets a bit chilly to take a swim after dark (unless you're Canadian or crazy-like I was :D )

Last couple of times, I used a travel agent to make the reservations for the room and meals. Less work for me! And doesn't cost me a thing! Great TA by the name of Debi from Dreams Unlimited (they advertise on wdwinfo.com )

Pbartender

First Post
I prefer staying on-site. Free bus service beats $14/day to park and then remember where ya parked (ala Kirk out of ST:IV)

Incidentally, a great traveling tip for remembering where you parked...

On vacation, almost everybody has a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera handy. So, take photos of the lot you're parked in. It makes it really easy to find your way back to your car, if you've got pictures to lead you there.

BriarMonkey

First Post
My new wife and I took our honeymoon there this April. I finally got everything written up and posted to my blog (although I'm still missing some pictures - I'm slow), if you are interested. I pretty much cover everything we did for our 9 full days at the parks (travel days made that an 11 day vacation).

Cheers.

Jack7

First Post
Thank everyone for their advice. Haven't had much time to respond lately because of business matters.

I do plan on staying on the grounds (at one of the on-park resorts, but don't know which one yet because I've stayed at some in the past and want to try a different type of resort), do plan on having the meal plan (never tried this before), and the tickets where you can get to parks early and stay late.

Haven't decided which vacation to shoot for either, maybe Christmas, or Easter, or Halloween (my 3 favorite holidays) but I also want my kids to have a big fireworks display.

I'm figuring on a budget of somewhere between $5000.00 to $7000.00 total for the packet. But I've just watched the DVD haven't really priced any packages yet. If it costs more then it'll cost more. I'm just guessing at this point. So I've still got a lot of stuff to investigate and decide. But much of your advice has been very, very helpful.

I'll be looking into your links as well.

So thanks again.

Jack7

First Post
On vacation, almost everybody has a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera handy. So, take photos of the lot you're parked in. It makes it really easy to find your way back to your car, if you've got pictures to lead you there.

Clever. but I couldn't give ya XP for it, as it said I've already done that too much. Otherwise I would have.

Remove ads