"Platinum Scales" L22 Sorcerer Utility - too good / nerfed already ?

BobTheNob

First Post
The answer is yes, this is a poorly designed power. In the epic game I ran, the party sorcerer was about as tough to kill as the party warden, via a few key items and utility powers (as compared to an entire dedicated build).
Absolutely with you. I thought this is just one of those really poorly conceived powers. If it was for one turn with the full bonus, fine. If it was a much smaller bonus till end of combat, fine. But a massive (read "make you all but unhittable") till end of combat? Does ANY game (not Just D&D, ANY game) ever designed have space for such a thing?

When they nerfed "Lead the Attack" (which had the same problem) my hope was that they realized that linking a d20 roll to a stat was dangerous because stats scaled up to the point that probabilities could reach the 5-10%/90-95% end of the spectrum (i.e. a total balance fubar) and therefore should never be till end of combat.

Precedent dint follow through though. Ah well.

My take is that anything linked to hit points (damage, DR, healing, temps) can scale hard as you level, but things linked to a d20 should not scale at all (I keep saying this over and over, a +1 bonus on a d20 at level 1 is just as potent as a +1 bonus at level 30).

My take is that anything linked to hit points (damage, DR, healing, temps) can scale hard as you level, but things linked to a d20 should not scale at all (I keep saying this over and over, a +1 bonus on a d20 at level 1 is just as potent as a +1 bonus at level 30).

I mostly agree with this thought, but I have to add some scaleing is ok...

if at first level my warlord gives a +2 to hit with a daily that lasts a whole encounter then at epic I give a +4 or 5 it is fine... it makes the diffrence bigger becuse I am no longer giviing a small helping hand, but a large one.

the problem with LtA was that it could easily start at +3 or +4. and scale to +7 to +10...

I would really hate to see a 27th level power add +1 to hit...even if it makes a diffrence.

BobTheNob

First Post
the problem with LtA was that it could easily start at +3 or +4. and scale to +7 to +10...

I would really hate to see a 27th level power add +1 to hit...even if it makes a diffrence.
This is a good counter point to my earlier post. Food for thought.

Our group (luckily) hasnt got any of those "d20 abusive" powers in their pockets, so I havent had to tackle the issue proper, but this is nice to take on board for when (if) I do.

Mengu

First Post
I think it's a bit higher than it should be on the power curve. The Invoker's Call Angelic Shield has a more reasonable mechanic, and is still quite useful. A flat +4 power bonus to all defenses may have also been an appropriate alternative

Having said that, I'd still rather have Wind Shape or Dragon Fear. In 22 levels, I've hopefully figured out how to survive in my party, and don't need the one encounter +7/+8 to defenses. I'd rather have a tool I can more proactively use to solve problems. Of course if I'm short on defenders and have to be up front a lot, I might consider the defense boost.

Remove ads