• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player or GM?

Gilladian

Adventurer
I'm mostly a DM; I run a face-to-face game (just gone on hiatus for probably 3-4 months while we combine households with my now-widowed mother). I also play and run about equal amounts with a few online friends. I play in a 4e campaign, and started running a Dungeonworld campaign of my own. We'll see where it ends up...

I prefer Dming... I find that being a player, I have control issues and want to either take over the rules, or boss the other characters around, or start redesigning the campaign setting. I have to set myself tasks, such as keeping treasure lists and NPC records and such just to avoid being too managing.

Shortymonster

First Post
I'm lucky enough that playing with stangers only happens through choice, such as at the student nationals gaming tournament, but it's only for a couple of days, and all done in good humour. usually while hung over...

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm mostly the GM and it's also the role I prefer. Currently, however, for about the last two years I've only been a player. I really needed a break after bringing my 7 (or was it 8? or even 9??) year 3e campaign to a close.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I almost exclusively play instead of GM. (Although about once a year I'll run a one-shot.) Simply put, I find that I don't have enough passion for running games. In my experience it is apparent when the GM has no passion for the campaign they are running and I think it's not fair to run a game that you're not giving it your best.

On the other hand, I LOVE dreaming up new characters and imagining how they could fit into whatever campaign world we're currently playing in. So I follow my passions and primarily only play.

khantroll

Explorer
I almost exclusively DM, though I honestly consider myself a much better player then a GM. My players, for the most part, don't complain though, so I must not be a terrible screen monkey.

xXxTheBeastxXx

Explorer
Normally, I'd say that I primarily GM. However, as of late, I'd call it half-and-half. We've started a round-robin style game, where we take turns running scenarios for the group. Thus far, it's worked out quite well. Here's hoping it continues to do so.

...Catch Phrase,

-Chris

Stormonu

Legend
I'd say I DM 90% or more of the time. I just enjoy it so much more than being a player. I like to be the one whipping up the story, being a player to me is boring.

Vyrolakos

First Post
I'm new to this forum, so, Hi! :D

I'm in a group (games club) that is mostly made up of experienced GM's. Whereas in the past, I had to fight tooth and nail to get someone else to take a turn GM'ing, now I have to fight to get a turn in the GM's chair!

Suppose I shouldn't complain, at least we aren't short of game ideas and willing volunteers! :)

The following post is a work of fictional humour. None of the people, places or events exist as depicted.

I'm currently GM'ing an epic campaign. Well, I say GM'ing, but I'm also playing Randall the Invincible, Paladin of Light. He's the players' guide and best friend in the World of Glory. It's all part of the backstories I helped them create, so their characters could seamlessly mesh in my world. They've really had a blast experiencing the events of my epic fantasy novel my campaign storyline, especially the Siege of Fallodown, the Battle of the Unpelanar Fields and the Ruin of Castle Whiteskull. There was really a lot of emotion in the room when I told them their characters automatically watched in awe as Randall the Invincible, Greatest of the Forces of Light, bravely led the retreats. I was very upfront with them when I told them their characters may not initially have much effect on the world. I really feel they've gotten into it, though. Just last week, they came in costume.

With real weapons, even!

My apologies for any bad memories stirred up by this rendition.

All humour and fiction aside, I have a one-shot I'm going to run, with the possibility of more games with the group afterwards. I'm also playing in a classic D&D 3.5e campaign with a different group. A Cleric, aiming for Mystic Theurge. It's a small group, so my character will be playing both spellcasting rolls.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads