• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Player Races in Upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters

GreenTengu

Adventurer
OK, per the Reddit AMA Table of Contents, which was clarified by the OP, there are only 13 races: seven that get full write-ups, and six that get just crunch in Chapter Two, and refer to Chapter One for fluff: Goblin, Hob, Bufbear, Orc, Kobold and Yuan-Ti. No other Player stats...

I would wager that has a lot to do with the others not being presented as antagonists in the book. In effect, the 6 that "don't get fluff" probably actually get considerably more in the book than those that get the two page write up and aren't really mentioned or described elsewhere in the book.

gyor

Legend
According to the AMA all Aasimar except Fallen get Angellic Guides in they're dreams. Sounds like very self righteous spirit guides.

If they don't do in the in the articial, I might fluff it as Fallen get fiendish guides instead, like Succubi/Incubi to tempt them towards evil and descendants of Mulhorandi and Untherite Gods get their Mulhorandi/Untherite Gods as guides.

gyor

Legend
Weird idea, in rare cases a offspring of a Protector or Scroug Aasimar and a Tiefling could be a Fallen Aasimar, just a weird idea I just came up with.

From what I saw on Reddit, only Aasimar get subraces (which makes me a little sad), and they mentioned that the Aasimar get some kind of angelic transformations. The names of the subraces make me think they may be built towards being oath of devotion, oath of vengeance, or oath-breaker paladins (and a little sad there weren't ones built towards oath of the ancients or oath of the crown paladins), and also maybe good fits for the favored soul sorcerer (if it ever gets officially released).

Chaosmancer

Legend
Wow, a lot of information here, and I guess I'll have to go looking for some of these things you guys are talking about.

I will note that Yuan-Ti Pureblood is both a blessing and an annoyance. I have a Yuan-Ti empire written up that is neutral, so yay I have stats for them now if I want to do something involving them, but I also wasn't certain about allowing players to play as them due to the oddity of their culture, so now that has moved from a non-issue to something I'll have to keep in mind.

Remove ads