• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Players break the doors-chests what ever

Amanchanamun

First Post
I am dungeon master of a game and players with no intention of lock picking , try to break everything.

In the core books, i could not find any rule for that like in 3rd. (hardness,hp )Maybe i am missing something.

They are doing incredible tecniques which i allow to do them. Like putting the hooks on chests of ropes and open in 3 meters distance with the help of basic equipments and mechanisms that they create in the game.

What is the limit for these type solutions ?

Subumloc

First Post
I am dungeon master of a game and players with no intention of lock picking , try to break everything.

In the core books, i could not find any rule for that like in 3rd. (hardness,hp )Maybe i am missing something.

They are doing incredible tecniques which i allow to do them. Like putting the hooks on chests of ropes and open in 3 meters distance with the help of basic equipments and mechanisms that they create in the game.

What is the limit for these type solutions ?

Item HP and AC are on the DMG. They're a bit different from 3.x, and are more a guideline than a list of stats for every item, but are there.

Benly

First Post
Just a bit of advice: next time they decide to smash open the chest, let them hear the breaking glass inside and find a bunch of brightly-colored shards that Arcana shows as previously having held magic.

It may inspire them to think about more subtle solutions.

Jhaelen

First Post
Just a bit of advice: next time they decide to smash open the chest, let them hear the breaking glass inside and find a bunch of brightly-colored shards that Arcana shows as previously having held magic.

This. Additionally, breaking stuff is always a noisy affair. Attracting enemies that happen to be in the surrounding area will also help to discourage doing it as a default.

James McMurray

First Post
If the barrier or container is meant to be a challenge, use page 42 to set a DC. If they succeed they get through ok, if they fail they may get through but break their treasure, alert guards, set off a trap, etc. If the barrier is just a barrier, let them get past it however they want to, and move on to the fun stuff.

Harr

First Post
Benly said:

This. Additionally, breaking stuff is always a noisy affair. Attracting enemies that happen to be in the surrounding area will also help to discourage doing it as a default.

"This" why? Why in the world would you want to discourage players from doing what they consider to be the most fun or the best choice for them? Is there something morally superior about "more subtle" solutions? Where's the rule that says that a lock HAS to be picked, on pain of getting "discouraged" by the DM?

Aside from which, the OP's players, going by his description, are having loads of fun coming up with creative and weird ways to open stuff. That's something you want to encourage, not stop.

Anyways to the OP, the rules for damaging objects, doors, walls, chests etc. are on the DMG page 64, 65, 66, and they're there for a reason, use them to your party's content ;)

Rafe

First Post
Why in the world would you want to discourage players from doing what they consider to be the most fun or the best choice for them? Is there something morally superior about "more subtle" solutions? Where's the rule that says that a lock HAS to be picked, on pain of getting "discouraged" by the DM?

Aside from which, the OP's players, going by his description, are having loads of fun coming up with creative and weird ways to open stuff. That's something you want to encourage, not stop.

I agree with this - the whole purpose is to have fun and to say 'yes' if it leads to fun and excitement in the game. However, I was under the impression that the OP was looking for ways to limit his players' use of the tactics he'd mentioned. If he's not, then there are lots of rules on breaking objects and items in the DMG, as per Harr's post. Have fun!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads