Players get mad at me (DM) when i enjoy other hobbies that are in my life. please help.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Yeah, A day. More than a day is enough notice to cancel. Sucks, but some times you just need to do something else for your own health.
Sounds like he's giving a week or two.
No grounds to bitch.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, I am surprised they do not see the benefits of your hobby in the game terms, I mean, your hobby easily can be related to building locations and encounters on the tabletop.

"Can be related" is not useful if they never see it in practice, HoE.

Yeah, A day. More than a day is enough notice to cancel. Sucks, but some times you just need to do something else for your own health.
Sounds like he's giving a week or two.
No grounds to bitch.

As a DM, I disagree. A day or so is an emergency cancellation (if you're the DM). A week or two is fine if you cancel rarely. If you keep scheduling games, though, then cancelling them, even with a week or more's notice, that's rubbish. You're basically pretending to DM, and giving people false hope.

If the OP is going to be out for, say, three months, as he was before, then he needs to tell the players that, sooner rather than later. They may well want to set up their own game instead.

If the hobby is something that isn't time-critical, I honestly have no idea why you'd cancel D&D and not that. Like, don't book it if you don't want to run it!

As a DM, I disagree. A day or so is an emergency cancellation (if you're the DM). A week or two is fine if you cancel rarely. If you keep scheduling games, though, then cancelling them, even with a week or more's notice, that's rubbish. You're basically pretending to DM, and giving people false hope.

If the OP is going to be out for, say, three months, as he was before, then he needs to tell the players that, sooner rather than later. They may well want to set up their own game instead.

If the hobby is something that isn't time-critical, I honestly have no idea why you'd cancel D&D and not that. Like, don't book it if you don't want to run it!
Quoted for truthiness.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm sure the players could make other arrangements if they knew D&D wasn't going to be played on a particular day.

On any given day, stuff can happen. Or you can find you're really just not in the mood, or something. Sure, a day is annoying, but isn't a big deal.

But in the OP, he says he took a 3-month hiatus from running a game while he took on another project. If you need a multi-month break to do other things, that's the point you start discussing if maybe the gaming group needs to make other arrangements.

On any given day, stuff can happen. Or you can find you're really just not in the mood, or something. Sure, a day is annoying, but isn't a big deal.

But in the OP, he says he took a 3-month hiatus from running a game while he took on another project. If you need a multi-month break to do other things, that's the point you start discussing if maybe the gaming group needs to make other arrangements.
Exactly. look, I'm sure every single one of us has had some instance where we had to cancel a D&D game for one reason or another. Hell, I'm betting it has happened more than once. That's nothing to get upset abot. However, when you know you are going to be working on a fairly long project, and you will more than likely cancel games often, you may as well just cancel D&D day or let the players know and let them make other arrangements. They have several options, such as getting another DM, one of them DMing, or doing some other activity. Unfortunately, it appears that the OP is quite selfish and gives the players the notion that he will be making game day, only to cancel it last minute.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I'm sorry, but it still sounds to me like he's giving them more than a week's notice. That is PLENTY of time for them to make their own arrangements without the OP.
They have options.
Yes, they do.

No grounds for them to complain.
As for time management: sounds like some thought has gone into that. Some people are very busy and over-worked by their jobs and school. Y'know, because they need to be able to pay bills to afford to live and have goals to improve their lot so they Can one day have more free time.

Halivar

First Post
"Dungeons & Dragons: Casual Gamers not Wanted"

Why, that sounds like an awesome way to build the hobby. :erm:

EDIT:
After the third week, I would expect them to have done that already. Stuff happens. Games go on hiatus. Happens all the time in my group because we are working professionals and we have lives outside of our favorite game.

If the gaming group is unable to cope with this, then I suggest the problem is with everyone else.

Last edited:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
:hmm: A Day? A single day is nowhere adequate notice for a non emergency. Each person's time is valuable and for a lot of people, they have to juggle work and family obligations a week or more in advance to get even a single day clear.

dood, they play every weekend. Scheduling challenges don't seem to be an issue here. One day notice when you're playing every single week is plenty.

Remove ads