Players: Guiding Morals in Playing

clearstream

(He, Him)
I'm creating this thread as a mirror of one for GMs started by Professor Murder. It is in no way intended to denigrate, but rather to raise the parallel questions on the player side having discussed doing so with the OP of that other thread.

So many arguments come down to clashes of what might be called "guiding morals." Your key principles of how a game should be participated in, your priorities for play, that you are willing to bend other considerations to serve.

Those might include such things as "never get into conflict with other player characters" or "follow the rules" or perhaps "don't make anyone uncomfortable." They could give rise to expectations, such as that others will also follow the rules, or avoid making me uncomfortable.

What sorts of guiding moral principles govern how you play in your games?

Bagpuss

Legend
  1. Make the game fun for everyone, even the DM. However remember fun can mean different things, mental torment can be fun if done right.
  2. Characters are disposable. Character death is an opportunity to try something new.
  3. Characters themselves don't think they are disposable. Don't let them know it might upset them.
  4. Other players might not agree with rule 2. So try and keep their characters alive. And try not to laugh when they do eventually die.
  5. Always be friendly, civil and considerate OOC. Especially if you are being cruel, cold and heartless IC.
There are probably more but rules 1-3 cover most situations, I mean rule 5 is really just part of rule 1.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
1. It's just a game.
2. Have fun.
3. Always be considerate of the other players and the GM.
4. Remember that no one is perfect, not you and not the GM.
5. You're there to have a good time, not to be right.

And most importantly...
6. If it's not fun for everyone, it's not fun for anyone.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
  • No absolutists
    • For example, guy who hates all undead and kills them on sight. Once had a ghost that was stuck on the material plane because of how they were wronged. The ghost was intended to be a helpful NPC in the adventure. Absolutists refuses to even talk with ghost and tries to kill it immediately because their god doesnt like undead...
    • Example 2, ranger has Gnoll as favored enemy in 3E era. Walks into an encampment of a 100 or more gnolls and decides all of them must be fought because... No nuance and ridiculous role play by absolutists is an instant fun killer. YMMV
    • Example 3, the lawful good Pally detecting evil everywhere and fighting anything they find.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
  • No absolutists
    • For example, guy who hates all undead and kills them on sight. Once had a ghost that was stuck on the material plane because of how they were wronged. The ghost was intended to be a helpful NPC in the adventure. Absolutists refuses to even talk with ghost and tries to kill it immediately because their god doesnt like undead...
    • Example 2, ranger has Gnoll as favored enemy in 3E era. Walks into an encampment of a 100 or more gnolls and decides all of them must be fought because... No nuance and ridiculous role play by absolutists is an instant fun killer. YMMV

I would imagine 100 Gnolls is an instant absolutist killer, so the problem will fix itself.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
My personal DM guidelines for me.

1) Having Fun is main reason to play
2) Setting immersion is super important
3) Consistent DM calls.
4) Overall Good "themed" story arcs with some gray areas (80-20%)
5) The hook or the turn are important story tools, but dont overuse them.

Mad_Jack

Legend
As a player:

- Leave your personal stuff at the door.

• Never bring your emotional issues, politics, religion or biases into the game.
  • If you're having a bad day (or week, or year, or life) you don't inflict it on the rest of the group.
  • If your character is just a way to indulge in your personal fantasies without real-world limitations or consequences, go write a novel instead.

- Always bring your A game to the table.

• If you say you're going to be there, be there. Don't blow off a session without a legitimate reason and always show up on time. If you can't make it, inform the DM as far ahead of time as you can.
  • Always show up to the game as clean and presentable as possible - shower and brush your teeth if you haven't already, and if you're coming to the game straight from work, at least try to wash up first or put on a clean shirt.
  • Come to the table with everything you need to play, i.e., dice, books, character sheet, pencil, whatever.
  • Know the rules that affect your character - know what their abilities and spells do, know the math for their attacks and spell DCs and if you're planning to use skills extensively know the numbers for those as well (i.e., how far your character can jump, etc.)
  • Pay attention during the game, and actively participate. Don't zone out until it's your turn, don't disrespect others by talking over them when it's their turn, don't hog the spotlight...

- Commit to the game.

• You volunteered to play in the game, so it's on you to make it an enjoyable experience for yourself, while respecting the social contract and not making it less fun for others.
  • Always look for ways to make the game fun for everyone. Look for opportunities to let the other characters shine, and when it's your turn in the spotlight try to make it entertaining for the others if you can.
  • Go with it. When the group makes a decision, or the DM drops an obvious plot hook, lean into it and run with it. Don't be that guy who drags their feet, sulks, incessantly complains, or even tries to sabotage things when the rest of the group wants to do something that you're not all that interested in, or that doesn't align with your character's motivations/story.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I've been mulling over a principle that goes something like - play what you've written on your character sheet.

That is, count what you've made true about your character as constraints upon what you describe your character doing. This came up for me when thinking about a fairly common example raised in a thread on social interaction, where a player roleplayed with greater charisma than what was written on their character sheet. Some counted that as something to be solved post-hoc, i.e. listen to their roleplay and then call for a check that would include their charisma penalty.

I was thinking that - as a player - if what I have said about my character on my character sheet is that they have low charisma, then I should accept that as a constraint. I was picturing this as an acceptance of constraints that paralleled possible expectations of a GM.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
I've been mulling over a principle that goes something like - play what you've written on your character sheet.

That is, count what you've made true about your character as constraints upon what you describe your character doing. This came up for me when thinking about a fairly common example raised in a thread on social interaction, where a player roleplayed with greater charisma than what was written on their character sheet. Some counted that as something to be solved post-hoc, i.e. listen to their roleplay and then call for a check that would include their charisma penalty.

I was thinking that - as a player - if what I have said about my character on my character sheet is that they have low charisma, then I should accept that as a constraint. I was picturing this as an acceptance of constraints that paralleled possible expectations of a GM.
I found out from ENworld that it is especially important to note if you character is wearing gloves or not.

Remove ads