Player's Handbook 2 in play

Mercule

Adventurer
Question: How does the Hexblade stack up against the Duskblade? They seem to be very similar archetypes. I'm afraid that using both base classes would be a bit like including both the PHB Fighter class and the AE Warmain -- mostly redundant.

frankthedm

First Post
Mercule said:
Question: How does the Hexblade stack up against the Duskblade? They seem to be very similar archetypes. I'm afraid that using both base classes would be a bit like including both the PHB Fighter class and the AE Warmain -- mostly redundant.
The Hexblade will feel very inferior to the Duskblade. The DB is the wet dream of those who desire the OD&D Elf fighter/mage. The Hexblade is build closer to the power level a 3e multiclass light armor fighter/wizard focusing on de-buffs.

Voadam

Legend
Mercule said:

The duskblade is stronger magically, the hexblade only gets spells at 4th gets fewer spells, they are at half class level, etc. The hexblade has d10 HD, mettle, divine grace for spells only, and a few free action cursing powers. The hexblade can cast in light armor as the duskblade can but gets no better at that type of synergy while the duskblade does with channeling spells.

The hexblade is like a ranger without the skills IMO. A skirmisher with a few fun tricks, and really cool atmosphere. The duskblade is a serious warrior mage from level 1 on and a more competitive class for power mechanics.

frankthedm

First Post
And has any barbarian been played with the Always angry at [ under 5 x level in HP]. Because it sounds cool to go around all the time like a Murder Machine, but encouraging a front liner to walk around at less than 1/2 HP and -2 AC sounds like a recipie for dead PC.

shilsen

Adventurer
frankthedm said:
How does the abrupt jaunt actually play out? It looks like a conjurer could completely negate being attacked by porting away 10' once an enemy has reached him. Most of other defensive effects have a chance of working, that one looks like it will always work unless the critter has 15 foot reach, to strike where the caster winds up at.
I haven't used it in play but that's exactly what the ability is written as. I took one look at the Immediate Magic option and realized that I would need to house rule the Abrupt Jaunt ability if I allowed the option. It completely outclasses the abilities for the other school specializations.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
shilsen said:
I haven't used it in play but that's exactly what the ability is written as. I took one look at the Immediate Magic option and realized that I would need to house rule the Abrupt Jaunt ability if I allowed the option. It completely outclasses the abilities for the other school specializations.

A good house rule would be to let the attacker make his attack roll. The attack roll sets the DC for the wizard's concentration check. If he succeeds, the wizard ports away.

frankthedm

First Post
Mercule said:
Just use the hexblade and disallow the duskblade. Duskblade is just a little too darn good for most games.

Greg K

Legend
I personally don't find it a must buy. However, I'll be allowing the following should a player ask:

1. Shapeshift (although I'll probably come up with a replacement abilities for Forest Avenger and Elemental Fury if I ever run a campaign that reaches those levels)
2. Many of the feats
3. Most if not all of the spells
4. Beguiler (maybe)

Talic

First Post
The only book I felt confident enough to pre-order. Thankfully, I wasn't dissapointed. There's lots of excellent stuff in there. Pretty much all of the mechanic stuff in the book was great, even if I don't plan to use it personally.

My only major compaint is that the first half of the book was overly fluffy, especially in the expanded class options. The options were great, but all the descriptive text about the class was uninterresting. There was a little bit to much inlcuded with the new classes as well, and even the feats seemed to have more flavor text added.

The fluffies in the 2nd half of the book however are excellent. I liked the character and party personality/background building tips. Nothing overly specific, but just enough to spark lots of other ideas.

The character rebuilding stuff I'm sure is fine, but our group handles it by DM approval just fine so we probably wont be using it. The organization rules are intriguing, but their example of play with the various opposed checks seems cumbersome in game and would be better handled behind the scenes a head of time, or simply at DMs discretion.

The quick creation Appendix is possibly the best thing in the entire book, and probably the most useful. I've been waiting for one of these. Definately speeds the process for NPC creation.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
shilsen said:

That was my thought too, the ability to interrupt an attack like that is just too good. Really it should be an exception to the "immediate" part of immediate magic and should only be useable as a swift action or a regular free action (i.e. only useable on the character's turn). This still allows a fast and easy 10-ft dimension hop at Int Bonus/day but won't allow the abrupt jaunt to interrupt another's action. This still allows a readied action to be taken and the ability to be used and of course still allows the caster to hop 10-ft past foes, outside of threaten ranges, onto the otherside of doors, over a hole, etc.

I also thought the Transmuter option was pretty handy too. Never have to worry about falling or drowning so much with flight, gills, etc. Pretty nice.

Remove ads