• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player's Handbook 2 in play

frankthedm

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
That was my thought too, the ability to interrupt an attack like that is just too good. Really it should be an exception to the "immediate" part of immediate magic and should only be useable as a swift action or a regular free action (i.e. only useable on the character's turn). This still allows a fast and easy 10-ft dimension hop at Int Bonus/day but won't allow the abrupt jaunt to interrupt another's action. This still allows a readied action to be taken and the ability to be used and of course still allows the caster to hop 10-ft past foes, outside of threaten ranges, onto the otherside of doors, over a hole, etc.
That sounds better, not sure on the free passwall effect still, but I am picky on balance.

I had an idea that ran though my brain, as an immediate action;

a conjurer can create a non material glowing rune inscribed circle on the ground within short range. Once the circle has existed for one round, that caster can cast his summon Summon monster as standard actions provided the summons arrive in the circle.

The Abjuring one is kinda weak for the protective school.

DM_Matt

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
That was my thought too, the ability to interrupt an attack like that is just too good. Really it should be an exception to the "immediate" part of immediate magic and should only be useable as a swift action or a regular free action (i.e. only useable on the character's turn). This still allows a fast and easy 10-ft dimension hop at Int Bonus/day but won't allow the abrupt jaunt to interrupt another's action. This still allows a readied action to be taken and the ability to be used and of course still allows the caster to hop 10-ft past foes, outside of threaten ranges, onto the otherside of doors, over a hole, etc.

I also thought the Transmuter option was pretty handy too. Never have to worry about falling or drowning so much with flight, gills, etc. Pretty nice.

Remember, though, taking tha timmediate action means no switft actions, and as of late the number of ways to quicken spells and the number of autoquickened spells have increased significantly. this is not to say that it isnt really, really good, but its not especialy out of line compared to the defensive moves that Elans can pull off.

ForceUser

Explorer
Fantastic book. Best D&D purchase since the original PHB in 2000.

Finally, high-level feat chains for fighters and rogues, and the variant class features (shapeshift, woot) are very very cool. Hot damn!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Interesting. The retraining makes sense, from what I see here. Some of the feats appeal. The classes.. I've yet to form an opinion about, really.

Still not sure whether I'll pick this one up, but I just wanted to say thanks MerricB - these 'actual play' threads on each new D&D book are always informative.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Do it Mystery Man...you know you want to.

I bought mine yesterday. I think its a neat expansion and a good buy. And I'm a guy who doesn't buy expansions as a rule.

I see what some others have said about the fluff, but I like it. Especially the personality traits and the "How to bring it alive at the table" entries. Players weaned on 3x haven't seen much that highlights roleplaying in this way.

Also love thos feat chains in the character creation appendix.

Anyway, this is an "In play" thread, and I haven't actually played using the book yet, so I guess I'll shut up now.

:D

ForceUser

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
The classes.. I've yet to form an opinion about, really.
I've used the knight in play. Thumbs way up. The ability to deny a foe a 5-foot step within your zone of control is freaking cool. Especially if you're Large because you're a centaur. :]

Henry

Autoexreginated
I introduced a Knight NPC into our high-level Eberron game, as a bodyguard to the Cleric PC on their quest to Xen'drik. She's only a 6th level NPC (now 7th) in a group of 12th levels, but she actually holds her own, and though the party was a bit apprehensive at first, she's actually pulled her own weight with the group, thanks to my portraying her as stupidly valorous and thanks to the "Shield Ally" ability which has kept the cleric alive at least once. She even took down a hill giant by herself, with the help of a couple of minor buffing magics and the challenge ability. I'm liking the Knight more and more, and honestly am thinking of playing one in the next D&D game I get a chance to from 1st level, to see how well it works.

frankthedm said:
And has any barbarian been played with the Always angry at [ under 5 x level in HP]. Because it sounds cool to go around all the time like a Murder Machine, but encouraging a front liner to walk around at less than 1/2 HP and -2 AC sounds like a recipie for dead PC.

I saw that too and it seems mechanically pretty bad. If it was 5+con or something it would make more sense and be more worthwhile. Given the number of combats per day in your average game, most mid to high level barbarians have enough rages to go berserk each meaningful battle.

Last edited:

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Shadowslayer said:
I see what some others have said about the fluff, but I like it. Especially the personality traits and the "How to bring it alive at the table" entries. Players weaned on 3x haven't seen much that highlights roleplaying in this way.
I agree with you there.
The space taken up by giving role-playing ideas to new players of the game is wasted on me, but I think it is valuable to anyone who is still learning to play RPGs.

In the long run I hope it works because I'd really like to see a few less powergamers at my FLGS.

Remove ads